cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G501 battery problem

marckytanners
Level 7
I'm new here, and iI was wondering if anyone could help me out. My G501JW current state is that it won't charge above a certain value (87-92%) unless i pull the plug and put it back in again, however once i do it it will only reach the maximum limit which is 92%. Example: the charge stops moving at 87% for 10-15 minutes, i pulled the plug, then a couple of minutes later it reached 90%, i pulled and put the plug in back again because it didn't move, and it only reached 92%. Now this is technically good for the batteries overall life span but, given that the battery status says "plugged in, charging" even if it remained stagnant between (87-92%) it worried me. What can you say about this? What advice can you give? Do i ask for a replacement because this laptop is only about 2 days old?
10 REPLIES 10

InfernoStorm
Level 10
Hi Marcky,

Sounds like a battery calibration issue, you can try a simple trick to recalibrate your battery and determine if your battery is defective or not, please follow the steps below:

1) Use your battery all the way to 0% so that even the lights on your laptop won't light up anymore
2) Plug in your charger and don't turn on your system until the battery is fully charged (based on LED indicator).
3) Turn on system and check in Windows to see if your battery is at 100% or 99%, if it is then it's normal.

If it still has the same problem then you can try discharging it one more time and repeating the steps above. What you are doing is flushing out the battery and resetting the memory and cycle on the battery. You can consider the battery defective if it still has the same problems after a second discharge, you should then contact Asus support.

Cheers.

Hi Inferno,
Thanks for the advice. Ok, How do i use it up until 0%? as far as i know the battery has a limit when it reaches 5% it automatically goes into sleep/hibernate mode, where can i tweak the settings? or it is in this limit that i must charge the battery? oh, and there is one more problem, what if the LED indicator remains orange, when it remains at (87-92%)? how do i know when to pull the plug on the power adapter when charging post drainage?

Thanks for the reply.

marckytanners wrote:
Hi Inferno,
Thanks for the advice. Ok, How do i use it up until 0%? as far as i know the battery has a limit when it reaches 5% it automatically goes into sleep/hibernate mode, where can i tweak the settings? or it is in this limit that i must charge the battery? oh, and there is one more problem, what if the LED indicator remains orange, when it remains at (87-92%)? how do i know when to pull the plug on the power adapter when charging post drainage?

Thanks for the reply.

You're very welcome :). You can charge your phone on your laptop to drain the remaining 5% until it completely dies out. Sorry I think orange LED indicator means that the battery is charging right? After you drain your battery, you should let it charge overnight and not turn on the system. The next morning you can check if the battery is able to reach 100% or 99% (practically) the same. Defective battery pack is not uncommon for new laptops so it's best to figure this out sooner and maybe just get a full product replacement.

Cheers.

I seem to have the same issue, already tried to recalibrating twice with no luck. Seems like I need to send my brand new laptop for replacement/service... Shame really that my other Asus brand products don't have any problems what so ever.

tombe0 wrote:
I seem to have the same issue, already tried to recalibrating twice with no luck. Seems like I need to send my brand new laptop for replacement/service... Shame really that my other Asus brand products don't have any problems what so ever.

That sucks, pretty sure the replacement will not have this issue again.

Cheers.

tombe0
Level 7
Yeah, tried again during last night and was surprised to see 3+ hours estimated even though the capacoty read still only 88% charge. But after running on battery for a while, at 50% charge Windows popped up the "Your battery charge is getting low, connect power" notification... So definitely something screwed up in the batterypack.

marckytanners
Level 7
UPDATE: I tried Inferno Storm's advice and it didn't reach even 95% of battery power. So I contacted my retailer and got my replacement model. note: the service center of my retailer themselves said that the g501's BATTERY POWER MUST REACH 100%, and the LED indicator must go green within the 95-100% mark. 🙂 and i have another question, is it ok for me to do gaming while the charger is plugged in? the internal battery scares me a bit, do i just leave the charger plugged in while playing heavy games (shadow of mordor) and just pull the plug when i'm done gaming or do i pull the plug when it is about 95-100% and still continue gaming then plug it in again when the battery is getting low?

marckytanners wrote:
UPDATE: I tried Inferno Storm's advice and it didn't reach even 95% of battery power. So I contacted my retailer and got my replacement model. note: the service center of my retailer themselves said that the g501's BATTERY POWER MUST REACH 100%, and the LED indicator must go green within the 95-100% mark. 🙂 and i have another question, is it ok for me to do gaming while the charger is plugged in? the internal battery scares me a bit, do i just leave the charger plugged in while playing heavy games (shadow of mordor) and just pull the plug when i'm done gaming or do i pull the plug when it is about 95-100% and still continue gaming then plug it in again when the battery is getting low?

If the battery is fully charged, it will stop charging so it doesn't matter if you leave it plugged in. However, over time the battery does slowly discharge by itself so always leaving the adapter plugged in is not a good thing. I would say it's OK do that for a short period of time but not a good thing to do on constant basis. Best way to maintain your battery is to use the battery down to 20-30% about 2-3 times a week before recharging to full. It depends on how much you use your laptop as well.

Cheers.

marckytanners
Level 7
So, based on your advice, what i should do is that i should only leave it plugged it in while gaming? since it is the time that i need the most power for my CPU and GPU, and once i'm done ill just pull the plug when i'm streaming,surfing, watching videos, idling etc?

Thanks for the Reply.