cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus GL551JW - Opinion

joaojr15
Level 7
Hi,

Im interested in buy a Asus GL551JW, but i read some review, that say they overheat.
Can you tell me about the temps play a game for a while?? and surfing the internet, the temps are high??

Thanks and sorry for my bad english,
16 REPLIES 16

MafJose
Level 7
I had G551JM for 2 weeks. Running GTA 5, temperatures got high quickly, CPU reached 95-97 celsius and started to thermal throttle which reduced the framerates quite a bit. On regular web surfing it was fine, it just cant cope with the temperatures in high demanding games, it only has one fan. I returned mine and I would suggest to get the G751 model with alot better cooling and performance, worth those extra bucks.

MafJose wrote:
I had G551JM for 2 weeks. Running GTA 5, temperatures got high quickly, CPU reached 95-97 celsius and started to thermal throttle which reduced the framerates quite a bit. On regular web surfing it was fine, it just cant cope with the temperatures in high demanding games, it only has one fan. I returned mine and I would suggest to get the G751 model with alot better cooling and performance, worth those extra bucks.

I wish I read this comment last week before I got this. I'm regretting this purchase more everyday -.-

MafJose wrote:

AWk wrote:
I wish I read this comment last week before I got this. I'm regretting this purchase more everyday -.-

Thx for the answer MafJose.

AWk yours overheat too??

joaojr15 wrote:
Thx for the answer MafJose.

AWk yours overheat too??

I've been busy. So far I've used the laptop only for surfing and editing word documents. I don't really need the laptop for gaming, I have a desktop for that. I'll benchmark it in the weekend and let you know since my room's ambient temp is closer to yours.

AWk wrote:
I've been busy. So far I've used the laptop only for surfing and editing word documents. I don't really need the laptop for gaming, I have a desktop for that. I'll benchmark it in the weekend and let you know since my room's ambient temp is closer to yours.

Thanks AWk, i will be waiting 😄

joaojr15 wrote:
Thanks AWk, i will be waiting 😄

Well my ambient tem is only 25 and I'm running on battery. All power saving features are off. Ran Aida64 and Cinebench(got a dysmal score for some reaosn) and my CPU temps never got past 69c.

Now I'm confused. Is it my ambient temp or is my chip underperforming? The average score is around 600 but I only got 300. WTF?

AWk wrote:
Well my ambient tem is only 25 and I'm running on battery. All power saving features are off. Ran Aida64 and Cinebench(got a dysmal score for some reaosn) and my CPU temps never got past 69c.

Now I'm confused. Is it my ambient temp or is my chip underperforming? The average score is around 600 but I only got 300. WTF?

You get reduced performance on battery - like with any modern laptop you need the power cord connected to get full performance. The battery is not capable of delivering enough power to give full performance in an laptop with quadcore CPU + dedicated GPU.

OCFreak wrote:
You get reduced performance on battery - like with any modern laptop you need the power cord connected to get full performance. The battery is not capable of delivering enough power to give full performance in an laptop with quadcore CPU + dedicated GPU.

Ahh that makes sense. Haven't had a "modern" laptop in years. I guess I'll rerun the benchmarks with it plugged in later.

OCFreak
Level 7
I've had my 551JM for two months now, during gaming it never overheats enough to throttle. The most demainding games gets it to hit low 90s, but in most games the CPU is around 85C. GPU is usually around 75C which is quite okay.

MAny other similar specced 15" laptops gets hotter or throttle more, for example MSI GS60 or Lenovo Y50.
I'm very happy with mine.