cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not able to install Windows 8.1 in UEFI mode and CLRMOS incomplete

Jogibaer
Level 7
Hi,
I have problems installing Windows 8.1 in UEFI mode because it is not possible to boot from DVD or USB stick in UEFI mode. I finally gave up and installed Windows 8.1 in "normal" mode, but I still want to solve this issue. I really tried nearly everything, watched youtube videos and tried every CSM combination or CSM disabled, nothing helped to boot a drive in UEFI mode. It doesn't matter if the USB Stick was FAT32 or GPT formatted, I tried Rufus as well as the original Windows create media tool to burn a DVD. I've contacted the ASUS support but they couldn't help me too.

UEFI version 1603

So I have two questions:

1. Which configuration do you guys have to install Windows 8.1 x64 in UEFI mode? Especially in the "boot" settings section?

2. How can I do a complete UEFI reset? I have set the jumper so I'm able to reset the UEFI by pressing the button at the back. This works so far, but there are always still rests like old hard drives in the boot device section which are attached no more to the motherboard!? What goes wrong here? I have the feeling that it only resets the settings, not everything?

kind regards
Jogibaer
4 REPLIES 4

Gman257
Level 10
Please see below link in using RUFUS for UEFI installation. Read instructions as well as requirement section thoroughly and a problem i ran into that is not shown anywhere is that you have to choose the ISO image first then apply the GPT/UEFI settings. Also keep in mind that Your ISO image has to be under 4GB since you need to use FAT32 scheme for formatting. Hope this helps.
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/15458-uefi-bootable-usb-flash-drive-create-windows.html
Silverstone RAVEN RV02B-EW
Intel 4770K
Maximus VI Impact-Motherboard
Corsair 240AIR
Kingston HyperBeast 2400Mhz 8GB-Menmory
Seasonic 1000w Platinum
Samsung PRO SSD 256GB x 2
Corsair SP2500
ASUS MARS GTX 760x2
ASUS VE258Q
PrecisionHD Cam.
CORSAIR K95 RGB
Corsair K65 RGB

Jogibaer
Level 7
Thank you but I used exactly this guide and followed the instructions precisely. I still could not boot in UEFI mode. When CSM disabled and I choose in the boot menue (F8) "UEFI: Removeable flash" or "UEFI: DVD drive name" the screen went black and the UEFI Bios appeared. 😕
At least it should definately have worked with the Microsoft "create media" DVD, or not? But when I do this, I can boot from the DVD, but the installation is still not UEFI. I see this when I create a new partition on the SSD with the Windows setup (UEFI partitons are missing). And it doesn't matter if I cleaned the SSD with secure erase or just deleted the partition.

NemesisChild
Level 12
Place the Windows installation DVD in the DVD drive, then restart your PC.
Hit Del to enter the bios, then navigate to the boot menu.
There you should see the option UEFI DVD, select it and press enter.

Then it will load the Windows installation files and prompt you for the normal installation options.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

Hi, nothing helped so I had to stay with CSM enabled.

Now after Windows 10 build 1511 got released, I wanted to switch from Windows 8.1. So I tried it again but the problem was still the same. No UEFI installation possible, neither with windows 10 dvd nor usb stick, CLRMOS didn't help too.

I had the idea to downgrade the BIOS and flashed the one from the Asus Maximus VI DVD, a very old one. I set like before the boot mode to UEFI only and it suddenly worked perfectly! 😄 I could boot from DVD or USB Stick in UEFI mode, no problem at all. The old storage devices (not connected) I told you before got also removed from the boot device range after flashing the old bios file. So I decided to install Windows 10, after that I flashed the current one and it still worked without problems. UEFI only and it boots very fast, all problems are gone. 😄

Just wanted to let you know that there is a solution, but thank you for your help. Sometimes PC problems are not logically explicable.