cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JW Laptop won't use NVIDIA Card - Tried many things

reynoldsa14
Level 7
I have a G750JW (770M GTX) Since I installed the latest (31st May) GeForce drivers for the Witcher 3, I have been unable to use my NVIDIA card for any game. Minecraft is the only one I can get to recognize its existence, but even its performance is low enough that I'm sure the intel card is doing the rendering (~40 FPS). All other games like the Witcher 3 and Skyrim run in the single digit FPS, like I'd expect from the Intel card. Right clicking on the executable and forcing it to use the NVIDIA card does not help (though that is how I get minecraft to *say* that it's using the NVIDIA).

I have tried rolling back drivers, reinstalling the ones ASUS offers on their site, and installing the sets of drivers (clean install each time) in between then and the latest version - manually, and with GeForce Experience, and still no luck at all. Today I tried to reset Windows from the recovery partition, to factory settings, and that still didn't help.

Am I dealing with a hardware failure here? This laptop is not a year old, and I don't want to have to go through a warranty hassle.
10 REPLIES 10

code9523
Level 9
Normally G750JW/JX/JH Do not have any intel card! The only card is recognized by the system is NVidia GTX765/770/780! Check your power settings make sure it's high performance also check that your laptop is running game plugged to the wall with original charger!
Asus G74SX> Asus G55VW 3D> Asus G75VW 3D> Asus G750JW> Asus G750JX> Asus G750JH

It does: https://www.asus.com/ROG_ROG/ASUS_ROG_G750JW/specifications/. It has an i7 4700HQ, which has an HD 4600 run in Optimus with the NVIDIA chip. Don't worry - I know to plug the power supply in and set performance to max.

code9523
Level 9
As you can see in specifications from asus by link you provided the only graphic card there is GTX765 I cant see any more gpu's there! I know what cpu is in g750 series! But the intel HD graphics is blocked buy manufacturer there))) You can look in to device manager)))

P.S. If you have intel hd graphics in your laptop post a screen from device manager)))

Since this laptop has Optimus, the two GPUs are intrinsically wired together. The Intel HD Graphics does show up in device manager, and drivers for it are present on the machine, as is the control panel to tweak it. The problem is in getting Optimus to hand control over to the NVIDIA chip as it should.

reynoldsa14 wrote:
Since this laptop has Optimus, the two GPUs are intrinsically wired together. The Intel HD Graphics does show up in device manager, and drivers for it are present on the machine, as is the control panel to tweak it. The problem is in getting Optimus to hand control over to the NVIDIA chip as it should.

The HD graphics card is there. But ASUS has physically disconnected it from the CPU because the GTX765m uses ridiculous low power already. The HD GPU was reconnected on the new generation of ROG laptops, but for the series G750 (all of them), if you want to have it, you have to physically reconnect them.
To reconnect... there is no point on doing it, or anyone that has reported they have done it. If you want to open your laptop and figure it out, post it with pictures (maybe people want to do it?), but again... there is no reason to do it other than bragging rights.

code9523
Level 9
G750JW/JX/JH do not have any optimus!!! It even have no driver for it on asus support! http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ROG_G750JW/HelpDesk_Download/
Please upload a screenshot of device manager with 2 gpu's intel hd and NVidia gtx!))

installer
Level 8
I own a G750JW it has no Optimus!

Reynoldsa14

How many people will it take to tell you are wrong before you believe it?
G750JW-T4041H | i7-4700HQ | 1 x 1TB Crucial M550 SSD | 2 x Samsung 2TB HDD | 32GB Crucial Ram.

installer wrote:
I own a G750JW it has no Optimus!

Reynoldsa14

How many people will it take to tell you are wrong before you believe it?

I think even if asus officially will reply him he will not believe))) I'm using G series laptops since G74SX I rely got a lot of them but there was no intel hd graphics there. I now have g750JH as a desktop replacement i'm not using it from battery I don't care about mobility but even on battery it can work about 2 hours under normal usage. So there is no need for itnel gpu there. And asus done right by disabling it in g series!

Maxter
Level 9
You'd be amazed about the battery... I can pull 7 hours of constant on off of it (all dimmed of course). 4 hours on normal conditions, and 2-3 hours on gaming (league of legends on minimum specs)