Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array nircc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Reputation
    22
    Posts
    122

    go for the pg278q now ? also a new build so any advice would be gr8

    Hey guys im new here...

    i'm going to build a new z97 rig mainly for gaming at 1440p max settings
    and i fell in love with asus boards and all that Republic of gamers style

    so this is the build:
    i7-4790k
    16gb hyper x savage
    maximus vii hero/formula - not sure which 1 yet if the formula not that expansive i will go with that
    coolermaster v850 psu
    fractal design r5
    850 evo 500gb
    980ti - not sure which one yet
    wd 2tb black


    now:
    the importer i'm buying the parts from told me that yesterday he got a new batch of the PG278Q (YAY!)
    and this monitor is the main reason im buying the new rig.
    i just fell in love with that monitor that i ignored TheWitcher 3 and other games until i get the rig and the monitor so i can play them in the best way

    but as you all know the PG278Q got alot of bad reviews and im not sure what to do...
    i have a fear that i may regret messing with the monitor.
    i dont like IPS Glow(pg279q) So i think pg278q would be best for me


    does new PG278Q batch means i can get a better and less faulty monitor?

    i already sent my pc part list to my supplier so now i just wait for prices and its a matter of days until i place my order.

    not sure what to do :P would like your advice about the monitor

    and also i would like any advice about my rig -any thing you think i should consider
    i really considered going with an X99 but its seems so pointless for an only gaming machine and going with z97 would save me alot of money...

  2. #2
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Volt PC Specs
    Volt PC Specs
    MotherboardGIGABYTE G1.Sniper Z97 ATX
    Processori7-4790K 4.0 GHz
    Memory (part number)ADATA 32GB (8GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz
    Graphics Card #1nVidia Gefroce GTX 1080 w/8 GB
    Sound CardMotherboard G1 - Creative Sound Core3D
    MonitorASUS Rog PG348Q Swift
    Storage #1250 GB Samsung 850 Pro
    Storage #22TB Western Digital Caviar Black SATA-III
    CPU CoolerAsetek 550LC 120mm Liquid Cooling
    CaseCorsair Obsidian 750D
    Keyboard Corsair K70 STRAFE
    Mouse Logitech Pro
    OS Win 10
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC88U
    Volt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Reputation
    12
    Posts
    184

    Quote Originally Posted by nircc View Post
    Hey guys im new here...

    i'm going to build a new z97 rig mainly for gaming at 1440p max settings
    and i fell in love with asus boards and all that Republic of gamers style

    so this is the build:
    i7-4790k
    16gb hyper x savage
    maximus vii hero/formula - not sure which 1 yet if the formula not that expansive i will go with that
    coolermaster v850 psu
    fractal design r5
    850 evo 500gb
    980ti - not sure which one yet
    wd 2tb black


    now:
    the importer i'm buying the parts from told me that yesterday he got a new batch of the PG278Q (YAY!)
    and this monitor is the main reason im buying the new rig.
    i just fell in love with that monitor that i ignored TheWitcher 3 and other games until i get the rig and the monitor so i can play them in the best way

    but as you all know the PG278Q got alot of bad reviews and im not sure what to do...
    i have a fear that i may regret messing with the monitor.
    i dont like IPS Glow(pg279q) So i think pg278q would be best for me


    does new PG278Q batch means i can get a better and less faulty monitor?

    i already sent my pc part list to my supplier so now i just wait for prices and its a matter of days until i place my order.

    not sure what to do :P would like your advice about the monitor

    and also i would like any advice about my rig -any thing you think i should consider
    i really considered going with an X99 but its seems so pointless for an only gaming machine and going with z97 would save me alot of money...
    If you fell in love with the monitor then get it. You need an nVidia card to make use of g-sync. And in your build you list one. So your good to go with that. Although there are several newer ASUS gaming monitors that are coming out in the future. I think one of their IPS gaming monitor's came out in Europe this month. And the rest of them, who knows when they will be released.

    I got this monitor back in November. I had read a ridiculous amount of positive reviews of the monitor as being the best FPS gaming monitor. It was difficult to find a place that wasn't sold out. Or wasn't charging several hundred dollars more for it. A week or two after I got it, I found this forum. I was looking for help using some of the monitors features. I then started noticing a bunch of forum posts with people that were having problems with their monitor. I've seen that on just about every other forum about this monitor. Now what percentage does that translate into all of the SWFIT monitors that people are having issues with? I don't know.

    If you can buy the monitor locally, from a store, then if you have any problems with it then you can return it to the store. That may be more convientint then shipping it to ASUS. Regardless, the monitor comes with a 3 year warranty by ASUS.

    I also got a new computer back in November, similar to the one your building. Here are some of my comments comparing what's identical, and some of the differences.

    i7-4790k 4Ghz *Happy with this.
    32GB-RAM *Wanted to have plenty for PS, and future proffing my system a bit, for a few more years at least
    850 Pro 250GB - for OS and some gaming and apps *I can only fit a few big games on this. In hindsite, I would have gotten the 850 EVO instead, for it's nearly as fast and it costs less. I also recently ordered a 1TB 850 EVO to put more games on. So my system will have 3 drives.
    970 4GB - The 970 has gotten great reveiws for being the best bang for your buck video card. It may be going for about half of what the 980 Ti is going for
    WD 2TB Black - for more gaming, files, and stuff - still have plenty of room on this. Though games that take time to load; BF4, BF HL, Dragon Age Inquisition, take noticeably longer to load off this drive compared to the 850 Pro.

  3. #3
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array nircc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Reputation
    22
    Posts
    122

    Quote Originally Posted by Volt View Post
    If you fell in love with the monitor then get it. You need an nVidia card to make use of g-sync. And in your build you list one. So your good to go with that. Although there are several newer ASUS gaming monitors that are coming out in the future. I think one of their IPS gaming monitor's came out in Europe this month. And the rest of them, who knows when they will be released.

    I got this monitor back in November. I had read a ridiculous amount of positive reviews of the monitor as being the best FPS gaming monitor. It was difficult to find a place that wasn't sold out. Or wasn't charging several hundred dollars more for it. A week or two after I got it, I found this forum. I was looking for help using some of the monitors features. I then started noticing a bunch of forum posts with people that were having problems with their monitor. I've seen that on just about every other forum about this monitor. Now what percentage does that translate into all of the SWFIT monitors that people are having issues with? I don't know.

    If you can buy the monitor locally, from a store, then if you have any problems with it then you can return it to the store. That may be more convientint then shipping it to ASUS. Regardless, the monitor comes with a 3 year warranty by ASUS.

    I also got a new computer back in November, similar to the one your building. Here are some of my comments comparing what's identical, and some of the differences.

    i7-4790k 4Ghz *Happy with this.
    32GB-RAM *Wanted to have plenty for PS, and future proffing my system a bit, for a few more years at least
    850 Pro 250GB - for OS and some gaming and apps *I can only fit a few big games on this. In hindsite, I would have gotten the 850 EVO instead, for it's nearly as fast and it costs less. I also recently ordered a 1TB 850 EVO to put more games on. So my system will have 3 drives.
    970 4GB - The 970 has gotten great reveiws for being the best bang for your buck video card. It may be going for about half of what the 980 Ti is going for
    WD 2TB Black - for more gaming, files, and stuff - still have plenty of room on this. Though games that take time to load; BF4, BF HL, Dragon Age Inquisition, take noticeably longer to load off this drive compared to the 850 Pro.
    Hey m8 thanks for the respone
    im trying to avoid the new IPS pg279q because IPS glow is damm ugly in my opnion
    i also heared that that once you download the calibrate settings from TFT CENTRAL for the pg278q it looks awesome

    so you have the pg278q since November . what do you think about it ? did you have any problems with that?
    i know there are many bad reviews about it but there are also many people that says it works perfectly fine

    i'm buying the monitor from a friend store and he order the monitor from the importer that sell asus monitors to stores in my country
    i will ask him to check that if something went wrong will i be able to get a new monitor or i need to send mine and wait for RMA

    beside that i think id go with the HERO in the terms of boards because i have a fear that the Formula armor would cause more heat on components because hot air will stuck in inside the armor...
    just wish the hero would had more usb ports like the formula . but the case will have usb ports aswell so that should be fine

    for the rest of the pc i think 16gb would be enough and id go with 2133 cl 11

    do you know if the R5 Front usb cable going directly to the motherboard ? or its going out of the case to the back of the motherboard like my old Corsair 600T ?

    also id like to know what do you think about my airflow plan>
    R5 case got 1 Intake 140mm in front and 1 Exahust 140mm in the back
    i will remove the front HDD Cages and add 2 noctua 120mm intake fans below the 140mm
    i will also use the Noctua NH-D15 as my cpu cooler
    is that enough to cool my pc ?

    thanks : )

  4. #4
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Volt PC Specs
    Volt PC Specs
    MotherboardGIGABYTE G1.Sniper Z97 ATX
    Processori7-4790K 4.0 GHz
    Memory (part number)ADATA 32GB (8GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz
    Graphics Card #1nVidia Gefroce GTX 1080 w/8 GB
    Sound CardMotherboard G1 - Creative Sound Core3D
    MonitorASUS Rog PG348Q Swift
    Storage #1250 GB Samsung 850 Pro
    Storage #22TB Western Digital Caviar Black SATA-III
    CPU CoolerAsetek 550LC 120mm Liquid Cooling
    CaseCorsair Obsidian 750D
    Keyboard Corsair K70 STRAFE
    Mouse Logitech Pro
    OS Win 10
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC88U
    Volt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Reputation
    12
    Posts
    184

    I've have the pg278q since November. I love it. It makes gaming so much fun. My previous monitor is a dell 24" from either 2004, or 2008 that was limited to 1920x1080 @ 60HZ. I've had no major issues with it. I have had a few minor ones; eye strain, and documentation, viewing angles. Eye strain : the first week I had it I got eye strain from using it. I adjusted the brightness from 100 back down to 50 or 40% and the eye strain went away. Or my eyes got use to it. With documentation, it explains how to adjust my monitor. But it doesn't explain why. Like I wondered about the Turbo button and that you can cycle it between; 60, 120, and 144. What should I leave it at? Does it matter? I left it at 144. But then I ran into an issue with Beyond Earth. It had a bug with gsync monitors where if the refresh rate was set too high, then you couldn't change the resolution to anything higher than 1024x768. Weird. With viewing angles, if you are sitting directly in front of it at normal eye level then it looks great. If you aren't then the screen will look darker. So anyone spectating will notice that too. If you are setting up this monitor as part of a 2+ montior set up, then you'll need to have it face you directly, or the screen is going to look dark.

    Note: If I had to choose between the TN or the IPS version of this monitor, I would go with the IPS version. The IPS version I think is identical except for 4ms response VS 1 ms response, and a IPS panel VS a TN panel. Price may be different too. I imagine the TN panels is going to be available for less than the IPS panel.

    I don't know too much about Mbs and Computer cases. I'm sure there are plenty of other people on this forum, and other parts of ASUS's fourms, that can better answer your questions regarding those things. Though I will say that it looks like what you are getting is going to be safely cooled. But it might be noisy when playing games. My case's fans get louder when I'm playing a game like Far Cry 4. Check out this video review of your case, for it might have some more answers



    For memory I went with 1600 speed ram. I never read any good reason as to why faster ram is going to benefit gaming significantly. Other than it's more expensive.

  5. #5
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array nircc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Reputation
    22
    Posts
    122

    Quote Originally Posted by Volt View Post
    I've have the pg278q since November. I love it. It makes gaming so much fun. My previous monitor is a dell 24" from either 2004, or 2008 that was limited to 1920x1080 @ 60HZ. I've had no major issues with it. I have had a few minor ones; eye strain, and documentation, viewing angles. Eye strain : the first week I had it I got eye strain from using it. I adjusted the brightness from 100 back down to 50 or 40% and the eye strain went away. Or my eyes got use to it. With documentation, it explains how to adjust my monitor. But it doesn't explain why. Like I wondered about the Turbo button and that you can cycle it between; 60, 120, and 144. What should I leave it at? Does it matter? I left it at 144. But then I ran into an issue with Beyond Earth. It had a bug with gsync monitors where if the refresh rate was set too high, then you couldn't change the resolution to anything higher than 1024x768. Weird. With viewing angles, if you are sitting directly in front of it at normal eye level then it looks great. If you aren't then the screen will look darker. So anyone spectating will notice that too. If you are setting up this monitor as part of a 2+ montior set up, then you'll need to have it face you directly, or the screen is going to look dark.

    Note: If I had to choose between the TN or the IPS version of this monitor, I would go with the IPS version. The IPS version I think is identical except for 4ms response VS 1 ms response, and a IPS panel VS a TN panel. Price may be different too. I imagine the TN panels is going to be available for less than the IPS panel.

    I don't know too much about Mbs and Computer cases. I'm sure there are plenty of other people on this forum, and other parts of ASUS's fourms, that can better answer your questions regarding those things. Though I will say that it looks like what you are getting is going to be safely cooled. But it might be noisy when playing games. My case's fans get louder when I'm playing a game like Far Cry 4. Check out this video review of your case, for it might have some more answers



    For memory I went with 1600 speed ram. I never read any good reason as to why faster ram is going to benefit gaming significantly. Other than it's more expensive.
    thanks for the detailed review...
    plan is to order all pc parts and monitor next sunday so im very excited not only because the monitor but also the new rig

    for the monitor part - i heared TFT Central uploaded calibration settings that you just download and install super easy
    for the 144hz i heard about those problems aswell so i think 120hz would be good enough with gsync : ) i just want to avoid problems

    may i ask if you still use the same DisplayPort cable that came in your monitor box or you had to replace it >?

    for ips vs TN well my BENQ TN is perfectly fine and i had a dell IPS b4 i dont see much diffrent like others say and IPS got that "GLOW"

    for the cooling noise - thats why im going with the R5 and the Noctua FANS because i know they are silent and very good for cooling

    thanks : )

  6. #6
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Volt PC Specs
    Volt PC Specs
    MotherboardGIGABYTE G1.Sniper Z97 ATX
    Processori7-4790K 4.0 GHz
    Memory (part number)ADATA 32GB (8GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz
    Graphics Card #1nVidia Gefroce GTX 1080 w/8 GB
    Sound CardMotherboard G1 - Creative Sound Core3D
    MonitorASUS Rog PG348Q Swift
    Storage #1250 GB Samsung 850 Pro
    Storage #22TB Western Digital Caviar Black SATA-III
    CPU CoolerAsetek 550LC 120mm Liquid Cooling
    CaseCorsair Obsidian 750D
    Keyboard Corsair K70 STRAFE
    Mouse Logitech Pro
    OS Win 10
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC88U
    Volt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Reputation
    12
    Posts
    184

    You are welcome.

    It comes with a disc that's suppose to have all the files you need. But I ended up just downloading all the recent ones from the internet. The only weird one was I also needed to download the monitor's .inf file, so Win 8 could see it was a Asus Swift monitor. Otherwise it said it was a generic 27" monitor capable of 2560x1440 @ 144hz. Very minor.

    I use the same DP cable that came with the box. It might have also came with a USB 3 cable that connects the PC to the monitor's USB hub. Or I had to use my own. I forget which. Be sure to save the box and styrofoam packing blocks just in case you need to ship it.

    I don't think I downloaded any other monitor profile files. I had seen some people suggest using them. Or setting the brightness/contrast/gamma to particular numbers for optimal settings. I'm not that picky about that sort of thing. I'm more likely to adjust it for the beginning calibration of certain games that ask to adjust brightness/contrast to make things appropriately dark enough for that game.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •