cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to install Windows 8 onto my new SSD

Phatnezz
Level 7
I just purchased the samsung 850 evo for my g751jt. Currently it has wnidows 8 OS on the 1tb HDD. I would like to make my SSD the primary OS and the other my data drive(slave). But i have no idea what to do! the laptop did not come with a recovery disk. Also when i replace the hardware i would want to put the SSD into the drive bay that is currently holding the 1tb hdd correct? Please help
4 REPLIES 4

j_j
Level 7
Use MiniTool Partition Wizard Free. Menu Wizard- migrate OS to hdd. enjoy

j_j wrote:
Use MiniTool Partition Wizard Free. Menu Wizard- migrate OS to hdd. enjoy

My SSD is too small to migrate my HDD OS to my SSD. is there another way where i can just format my SSD? i tried asus backtracker, but when i attempted to "back up factory img" it said factory partition does not exist.

Phatnezz
Level 7
Should i just download windows 8 or win7 and format the SSD that way? if anybody can help point me in the right direction it would be great!

Yes get you ISO here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media no worries you win 8 embedded key will activate the 8.1 be sure to download the correct version Core/OEM are the same thing. Unless you bought from a custom dealer and had Pro installed.
before you start go to Asus Support Downloads Download all the latest drivers Chipset, IRST and IME.
I usually during the beginning of the install turn off auto windows update. Also if you don't want to use Microsoft email for your main account leave your computer not hooked up to the internet that way you will automatically set up a local account.
Also you should take out your hard drive and install your SSD do the install that way. After you install. then install the chipset, Irst and IME. any other hardware drivers you want to install. once that is completed then you can turn on window updates and let your note book get all caught up. then install your IS AV Malware what ever you use.
Its easiest to put your hard drive in an external USB case or SATA to USB adapter that way you can plug it in and rename your old window windows.old, or format it if you have all your data back up. after that you can install it in to the 2nd drive location.
I would still on first boot hit the esc key brings up a boot menu select your SSD. that should insure your SSD is the first boot device. If you ever need to boot from USB or DVD do the same thing to boot them rather than your SSD.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro