cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JT can't get Steam to work

skweeeland
Level 7
Hello

Just recieved my brand new Asus ROG 751JT. The first (and hopefully the only) problem is i can't get Steam to work (in wifi at least). Steam starts up quickly but i get stuck at network settings. It shows the router im using but it wont allow me to continue since the done button is dark so im unable to click it. Then my only choice is to configure network settings, i click it and the select how you want to continue screen comes up. I can choose either a wired or wireless connection (duh). On use a wifi connection it states that wireless card is found. I click it and then the next button. It asks me to select the wireless connection you want to connect to and the only option to select is other (there are at least 20 WiFi connection around when viewed from windows wifi settings), i clicked refresh, doesn't change it. I then click on the other and then next it will ask a custom SSID. I enter the SSID, select determine IP settings manually (also tried automatic), click connect. Disconnecting from existing networks loading screen shows up and then nothing will happen, only available button is cancel. I tried disconnecting manually beforehand in windows then i do the same thing and instead of disconnecting screen the connecting screen comes up and nothing happens. Pretty odd that a gaming laptop with a dedicated steam button is unable to succesfully run steam. Any ideas what could be wrong?

edit: reinstall did the trick 🙂
4 REPLIES 4

Bayerius
Level 7
its steam summer sale since 2 houts.. perhaps thats the issue? totaly lagy for me too

Bayerius wrote:
its steam summer sale since 2 houts.. perhaps thats the issue? totaly lagy for me too

Hopefully this is it. I will try to install Steam on my other laptop to see if i get the same issue. I haven't used Steam for many years, have playstation for gaming. Bought the Asus for media editing, gaming comes second. Still would like to try out some of the recent games on this nice laptop.

skweeeland
Level 7
Never mind, reinstall fixed it. I plugged in headphones and am surprised how bad the output sounds, maybe it's the drivers. But i will be using a external soundcard anyway. Otherwise the output definitely needs a headphone amplifier if you use a nice big pair.

skweeeland wrote:
Never mind, reinstall fixed it. I plugged in headphones and am surprised how bad the output sounds, maybe it's the drivers. But i will be using a external soundcard anyway. Otherwise the output definitely needs a headphone amplifier if you use a nice big pair.

Your Laptop utilizes different Audio Wizard settings for headphones, internal and external speakers. Just plug your peripheral and tweak the settings until you're happy. She'll recognize the type of device next time you plug it in.

Hit the ROG key on the num pad to get to Audio Wizard.
ASUS G751JY | i7-4720HQ | GTX 980M | 16GB RAM | M.2 SSD + HDD | WIN 10