cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[help] asus g750jx - usb, sd card, keyboard backlight not functioning.

joshsaidno
Level 7
Hello all,

I am seeking input from anyone who is willing on numerous issues my laptop appears to be suffering which appear to relate to the USB drivers.

I recently purchased a Asus G750JX second hand from a person. Prior to sale, they formatted the hard drive and installed Windows 8.1 again.

Issues as follows:
Lower left USB - NOT FUNCTIONING.
Upper left USB - NOT FUNCTIONING.
Upper right USB - NOT FUNCTIONING.
SD Card Reader, Left side - NOT FUNCTIONING.
LED Keyboard backlighting - NOT FUNCTIONING.

RE USB/SD CARD READER =

Currently, the left side laptop USB ports do not function. In addition, the rear right USB port does not function.
Any products inserted into the above noted USB inputs or SD card reader WILL NOT RECOGNIZE.

The only functioning port at this stage appears to be the "quick charge" port, lower right side of the PC.
Further to that, I have even tested plugging a mobile phone or iPod into those inputs and the inputs do not appear to even be providing power.

RE KEYBOARD BACKLIGHTING =
I currently have ASUS ATK 1.0.0028 installed.
Holding the function key, I am able to receive OSD messages for the F key functions.
The lighting is extremely dim. So dim that unless you cover the screen and then cover the keyboard with your hands, you can not even make out the barest of light from beneath the key caps.

The easiest way I have found, to find if the lights below are working correctly is to tilt my desktop up.
I can see white light beneath every key cap. The light is dim.

Holding F4 and function in the windows environment, I receive the OSD that the keyboard brightness is going up.
While watching the Keyboard backlight, I see when pressing the combination required, the backlight flicks on brightly for 1/4 of a second before maintaining extremely dim lighting.

Holding F3 and function in the windows environment, I receive the OSD that the keyboard brightness is going down.
While watching the keyboard backlight, I see when pressing the combination required, the backlights beneath the keyboard turn off completely.

- The reaction is the same if I have the PC unplugged, or plugged in.
- The reaction is the same if I use ATK 1.0.0030 or my current 1.0.0028. * Drivers found on G750JX Asus Support
- The reaction is the same, if I add/remove ATK. Reboot and/or Shutdown, clear residual registry files, Reboot/shutdown, reinstall ATK.
- The reaction is the same across both Windows 7, Windows 8.1.
- It should be noted that the Power button for the PC, once pressed remains lit as it was intended to.
- It should be noted that the ROG logo, on the rear of the screen remains lit as it was intended to.
- It should be noted, that on computer boot up, the LED Backlighting DOES flash, (Dimly) which assures me that is it likely not just to be a hardware fault, and more than likely software.

I suspect the Power button and ROG logo are on different circuits, or coded differently than the keyboard.

I suspect that the USB ports and SD card port not working can likely be grouped with the problem of keyboard backlighting and am hoping that whatever issue plagues the hardware, once resolved will allow each item to function as intended.

MY LAPTOP SPECIFICTATION AND DRIVER INFORMATION:
Laptop Model: Asus G750JX
CPU: i7 4700HQ @ 2.4
RAM: 32 GB RAM
GPU: Nvidia 770M with 3GB GDDR5 VRAM *as told by ASUS website specifications
STORAGE: 2 x SAMSUNG Spinpoint M8 ST1000LM024 1TB hard drives.
OPTICAL DRIVE: MAT****A BD-MLT UJ260AF
WEBCAM: USB2.0 UVC HD Webcam
Touchpad: ELAN PS/2 Port Smart-Pad
MOTHERBOARD: G750JX (SOCKET 0) (version 1)
Chipset Vendor Intel
Chipset Model Haswell
Chipset Revision 06
Southbridge Vendor Intel
Southbridge Model HM87
Southbridge Revision C1
BIOS VERSION: 209

BIOS SETTINGS POSSIBLY RELEVENT:

BIOS > ADVANCED TAB:
Internal Pointing Device [ENABLED]
Wake on lid open [ENABLED]
Power off Energy Saving [ENABLED]
Asus USB Charger+ in Battery Mode [DISBALED]
Intel Virtualization technology [DISABLED]
Intel AES-NI [ENABLED]
VT-D [ENABLED]
BIOS > ADVANCED TAB > USB CONFIGURATION
Legacy USB Support [ENABLED]
XCHI [SMART AUTO]

ADDITIONAL POSSIBLY RELEVENT INFORMATION:

See the below link, a screenshot of my Device manager. So many USB HUBS???
http://i.imgur.com/msJSAtK.png

Conclusion:
The issues I am facing, at this stage appear software related and not hardware related.
I have trawled the internet and from many forums I note that other ASUS users have issues similar to mine with their laptops.
The laptop itslf functions well. I am extremely proud of the Graphics capabilities and it complements my gaming desktop PC well however, it is killing me that I can not make use of the Keyboard backlight or other USB ports.

I am a technologically savvy person in my opinion, however my frustration has reached its limit and I now reach out to you, fellow forum browsers.

What would you do in my situation.
Can I provide you any further information which would allow you to mentally troubleshoot with me?
I sincerely believe that my issue likely stems from the USB HUB issue but I can't be sure.

Sincerely,
J.
7 REPLIES 7

code9523
Level 9
Hi! Try to clean install windows then all latest drivers from asus support then report here how it acts.
Asus G74SX> Asus G55VW 3D> Asus G75VW 3D> Asus G750JW> Asus G750JX> Asus G750JH

code9523
Level 9
Also check when in bios is it recognizing usb devices for example bootable usb drive. If no there is a hardware issue may be something with south bridge or usb controller.

Hey mate,
So to wrap my understanding of this troubleshooting idea,
in BIOS all USB ports >SHOULD< work?
Power/data?

joshsaidno wrote:
Hey mate,
So to wrap my understanding of this troubleshooting idea,
in BIOS all USB ports >SHOULD< work?
Power/data?

Yes! You don't need any usb drivers in bios! The simpliest way to check is to burn bootable usb drive with windows on it and try to install. If there is no reaction on such usb drive so there is a hardware problem there.

I made a bootable Linux USB.
So, the key is recognised in the BIOS when plugged in bottom right USB (the one which i reported works correctly).
All other ports it isn't recognised.

Any other ideas?

Update/reflash bios if it won't help it's a hardware issue and you can't do much on your own. Need to rma it.

Torien
Level 7
Hi, try to disable XHCI in BIOS.