cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751j Windows 7 installation help

Morgan_the_tank
Level 7
Hello! I need some assistance in installing Windows 7 on my new G751j laptop. Windows 8 is driving me crazy and personally I dislike it, and would like to install windows 7 on this laptop instead. While searching up on how to do so I noticed that some people say there are some driver errors. I found a thread that showed how to install win 7 on the G750 laptop, but thats a different computer. Can someone give me some advice/assistance on how to install win 7 on this laptop without any problems? Thanks in advance.
4 REPLIES 4

robdevilXI
Level 7
Just try get used to with it. Win 8.1 is muuuch faster than 7 and after few tricks can be really useful. I would not go back to win 7. Never ever!

Clintlgm
Level 14
You could probably work out the drivers eventually, but why bother just put Classic Shell on and configure your computer just as you did with windows 7 or XP Turn off all the hot corners do away with metro crap. it free
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

alabasterj
Level 7
I signed up for the forum here to provide some help. I've been tasked at work with setting up an Asus ROG G751j with Windows 8.1 and 7 for dual booting. The way I was able to get it working was:

1.) Disable secure boot in the BIOS (Tap F2 right away after a cold boot).
2.) I installed a 240 GB SSD hard drive to install Windows 7 on
3.) Booted from the Win 7 install disc and installed to the new SSD.

At first it would crash when attempting install but after disabling secure boot it fixed the problem. After the installation of Windows 7, the drivers had to be loaded. To do this, I went into device manager and pointed each device missing a driver to the folder on the original system hard drive named "eSupport." This found the wireless driver and a few others. Then I just auto searched for most other devices. Keep in mind, a laptop is just a bunch of products from other manufacturers, so if you know the make and model of the hardware you want to load drivers for, you can usually find the drivers you need on that manufacturers website. Anyway, for the graphics, Windows wanted to load a generic driver, and since this model has the nVidia Geforce GTX 970x chipset, I went to nVidia's website and found the drivers I needed. Windows 7 definitely works on this hardware.

Black_Gun
Level 7
the drivers and steps from those two sources worked fine for me (got a perfectly running win7 install on a g751jt):
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?54252-ASUS-G751-Windows-7-drivers
http://www.cmcsjc.com/fs-g751.html

note, however, that going the win7 route means that you will have to take care of all future driver or config problems by yourself.