cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage III Extreme vs Asus Rampage III Formula feedback?

dctokyo
Level 7
I am planning on doing another build but am seriously considering purchasing a Asus Rampage III Formula over the Rampage III Extreme to go with a i7/950

will be used for gaming only, any feedback would greatly help out. Any differences I should be aware of? Or should I just get the best of Asus the Rampage III Extreme as my current Rampage Extreme has been a great mobo.
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage Extreme/ running Win7x64 Ultimate//Processor:E8600 //Cooling:Corsair CWCH50-1//Memory:Patriot DDR3 PVS34G1600LLK 8GB//Video Card: XFX ATI HD 5870 //HDD/Intel X25-M G2 80 GB & WD 74 GB VelociRaptor//Sound Card & Nic Card: PCI-e X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty/EVGA Killer Xeno Pro //Case:SilverStone FT02B-WRI/No.0846//Power Supply: Corsair HX 850 //Monitor:Samsung P2770H 27"
8 REPLIES 8

pcjunkie209
Level 9
Never tried formula but love the RE3!
"I would rather be gaming!" Grunts-clan.com
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
http://Pcjunkiemods.com
http://c2cmods.com

ottoyu34
Level 9
I quick comparison gave me a differences of:
SupremeFX X-Fi 2 on Formula (only 8ch HD audio on Extreme)
3 more USB on the Formula
NB power and Mem power, each has 1 more phase on extreme
ML caps on CPU,Mem & QPI on extreme
1 more PCI-Express 16X slot on the extreme

Retired
Not applicable
DCTokyo, if you are getting a rampage for gaming, Formula is the best choice. its got everything you want and nothing you dont need. It comes with the X FI 2 codecs where the Extreme does not. i will be releasing a overview guide for the rampage iii formula soon.

Brian@ASUS wrote:
DCTokyo, if you are getting a rampage for gaming, Formula is the best choice. its got everything you want and nothing you dont need. It comes with the X FI 2 codecs where the Extreme does not. i will be releasing a overview guide for the rampage iii formula soon.

Hi Brian@ASUS,
Many thanks for the reply, I forgot to add that I will be using my own sound card (x-fi PCI-E) and my own intel server nic card instead of the onboard ones. Would this make a difference in your choice? What I really want is what I have now, a 100% Stable gaming system, I am sure both boards will give me that, now I like the 3 more USB ports on the Formula as ottoyu34 mention.
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage Extreme/ running Win7x64 Ultimate//Processor:E8600 //Cooling:Corsair CWCH50-1//Memory:Patriot DDR3 PVS34G1600LLK 8GB//Video Card: XFX ATI HD 5870 //HDD/Intel X25-M G2 80 GB & WD 74 GB VelociRaptor//Sound Card & Nic Card: PCI-e X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty/EVGA Killer Xeno Pro //Case:SilverStone FT02B-WRI/No.0846//Power Supply: Corsair HX 850 //Monitor:Samsung P2770H 27"

Retired
Not applicable
hurm, well then it really comes down to looks and price. if you want the best of the best, then Rampage III Extreme is your choice, but for 100% stable gaming, Formula will deliver what you need. hard decision...

ottoyu34
Level 9
Other than gaming, what else do you look at in this build? any overclock targets?

ottoyu34 wrote:
Other than gaming, what else do you look at in this build? any overclock targets?

Gaming only, hope to run the i7/950 at around 3.8.

dctokyo wrote:
Gaming only, hope to run the i7/950 at around 3.8.

yea, Formula is a good choice for that.