Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    ROG Guru: Black Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by nuke235 View Post

2. Do my own install on Windows 7 after reformatting the hard drive. Can anyone explain how I make a bootable DVD using the Win 7 DVD image I downloaded from Asus Rog forums? Right now, I don't have a burner program on my laptop, so I'd need a suggestion (preferably free program!!).

Thanks.

nuke
    While I agree that your issues are very likely caused by software, I don't think it's as simple as saying it's just Windows. Windows isn't inherently buggy like that. Also, it's pretty clear that "idle" isn't really idle...something is going on in there to cause the BSOD, pr perhaps there is an event that occurs on schedule after the computer sits for awhile. Power management can often underlie these sorts of things, but it's hard to know for sure without experimenting with settings.

As for burning an installer disk, the easiest way is to download the ISO, then right-click on it and select "Burn disc image." This starts the Windows Disc Image Burner Utility and all you need is a blank DVD. Let me know if you need more help with clean install stuff....I've been helping several people with this lately so I've gathered some resources you might find helpful.
    Last edited by BrodyBoy; 12-10-2011 at 01:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dstrakele View Post
    What screensaver are you using?
    Good call....it's surprising how often these seemingly innocuous little programs can get flaky and cause problems.

ROG Enthusiast Array

The ribbon, mystify, or 3D screensaver would also freeze. Interesting, the Asus "G73" screensaver does not seem to result in a crash, however, it also seems to make the computer work harder.

Which is why I initially thought the issue was with the cpu throttling. It does seem though to be related to some windows function not liking coming out of an idle state after an extended time.

I should also point out, though, that the freezes and/or reboots would also occur w/o the screensaver being active.

Right now I am using the "Blank" screen saver, so far so good, but given the even more random nature after the RMA, it is hard to tell.

As for the "turn off display", I've read that using it is also a potential problem. So right now I'm not using it.

I am using Trend Micro (the trial for now), likely switch to MSSE after. I have no antimalware, and am just using Windows firewall.

I hardly have any other applications: Thunderbird, ut2004, windows 2010 starter, firefox, VLC player - honestly, those are the only installed programs.

The only event I get is the EventID 41 error in the event viewer. That is the only critical error. There are "sidebyside" errors, an "LMS service cannot connnect to the INtel MEI driver" warning, and a VSS warning (this is due to the click to run "Q" drive, which causes the VSS error to appear - this does not seem to be an issue, except that from what I can tell, it prevents System Restore from auto creating a restore point - so I just do it manually.)
    Last edited by nuke235; 12-10-2011 at 05:49 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Thanks, I am going to try a few more things, but this may be my final option.

Regards,

nuke

It sounds pretty FUBAR. Since it appears you're still running a lot of Asus software, I think you'd find a clean install resolves much of this. (Probably all.) Or short of that, I'd suggest you go into Control Panel -> Uninstall Programs, and uninstall as many of the Asus utilities as you're willing to. The only one you need to leave is the ATK Package.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Before my last RMA, I had uninstalled all the Asus software, didn't help.

Like you say, a clean install w/o having the bloatware may be the only solution.

Doesn't really answer what is going on, though, as many people are experiencing my exact same issue on different brand laptops. Win 7 Home or Ultimate seems to be the only common thread that I've read.

@nuke:

I just went back and read your first post, about how the error often says something about USB bugcode, and how you think this whole thing is related to power management. (I tend to agree, based on your descriptions.)

Does the G73 BIOS have the option to enable/disable USB charge? Does changing that make any difference at all?

ROG Enthusiast Array

@Brodyboy

I did not notice the USB charge option. The 205 bios seems to have very few options. I did enable EHCI mode instead of xHCI mode. Not sure if that will make a difference or not.

Update: things were going well, but today, BSOD, USB Bugcode Error: 0x00000fe. After reboot, I was browsing, and the laptop just froze. No screen saver this time.

These seem to be an issues for other people according to my research, but not really any helpful solutions found. I cannot believe it is hardware, unless ASUS RMA lied to me, and did NOT actually replace the USB ports and motherboard. They say they did.

Therefore, must be software. I have updated nVidia drivers, MEI driver, INF drivers.

I no longer think my issue is hardware, unless, like I said, ASUS didn't actually replace any components. To get 2 sets of bad hardware...I dont'buy that. And there are lots of forums out there with people with my issues, with different laptops. I believe win7 is the issue, I just don't know how.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Aaargh........my laptop has generally been pretty good. Now today, 1 bugcheck BSOD and 2 hard freezes.

I just don't get it. Before today, it was just hard freezing at the screensaver. I don't think the screensaver is the issue any more. I think it was just random that it was freezing at the screensaver when the laptop froze. And today, the one freeze is while I was browsing, right after the bugcheck BSOD.

This is really frustrating.

Anyone think Asus would give me a new laptop if I go for RMA #3??

Quote Originally Posted by nuke235 View Post
    Anyone think Asus would give me a new laptop if I go for RMA #3??
    Unfortunately, I don't think so. Customer service & satisfaction is not their strength.

Have you tried a super-clean Windows installation, with the BIOS set to optimized defaults? (By super-clean, I mean no Asus software except the ATK Package.)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast