cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73 Reboot/Freeze/BSOD Issues

nuke235
Level 8
I have been having issues with my G73 freezing, rebooting, or BSODing (almost always a usb bugcode error on the BSOD) pretty much since I bought it. The issue is intermittent, but annoying, I've tried for almost a year to troubleshoot it. I finally RMAed the G73, and just got it back.

Well, back 1 day after RMA and already a BSOD and a hard freeze.

ASUS replaced the cpu under warranty during the RMA, and also reinstalled the OS. So those aren't the issue.

My problem again is:

random freezing, reboots, and BSOD (usually a USB bugcode error).

These events are always accompanied by an EventID 41 in the event viewer, which is a "Kernel Power" critical error, with the message "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

This issue does not happen when the cpu is under load (it maybe happened under load once or twice, but very infrequently). It happens almost ALWAYS when it is sitting idle, or doing "idle like" things such as email or browsing.

This problem goes away with my cpu no-idle tweak, which is a registry edit that disables the cpu idle state; it basically ramps up idle cpu speed from 1.73GHz to 1.86 GHz. With this tweak enabled, never a crash, but the CAVEAT to that is the tweak heats up the cpu to the tune of 10 C hotter running temp (and that's at idle).

THOUGHTS??

Might it be motherboard, or maybe the power pack? Not sure it would be powerpack, though, I would expect crashes UNDER load, not under idle.

I am going to RMA again, but wondering if anyone has thoughts on how I should approach ASUS on suggesting what the problem is. I would have thought they could check for a bad mobo.

They claim on the report RMA sheet they stress tested my laptop for 1 day with no crashes, but like I said, usually under stress this issue doesn't happen, so I'm not surprised they had no issues during stress testing. I left it idle once I got it home, boom, hard freeze and a BSOD.

I really still think the problem might be in the power saving functions, I'm just not sure how. I have disabled as many of those as possible in the control panel, but that does not help, so I'm thinking more of a hardware issue in this regards.

Please let me know your thoughts.

My G73 is pretty standard, I7-740, 8gb, SG 500 gb HDD, 460M gc, win7hp, no o/cing, no "mods"

Thanks.

nuke
38 REPLIES 38

Retired
Not applicable
Hi! Try to update driver for the Realtek :

But honnestly, mine still lock often, just a bit less. I really feel like having behing rob whit this shit (2k laptop). As you, after almost year of trying to fix this thing, I'm still stock whit it. I never tried RMA, because most of peeps still have the trouble afterwhile, so loosing my cpy for a week or a month wasent worth the assel.

Wish you luck and if you find more let me know.
Take care

"
Asus G73JH Freezing Fix

If registry is fixed plus the laptop still freezes, you mgiht be with the issue called Asus G73JH lockup bug. To correct concern, head over to Realtek and download “High Definition Audio Codecs” where titled “Vista, Windows7 Driver (32/64 bits) Driver only (ZIP file)” and then the “ATI HDMI Audio Device”

After downloaded the file, determine if you may have Realtek drivers and remove the earlier drivers to create a proper driver installation. You might want to install “ATI HDMI Audio Device” too.

Asus G73JH freezing causing by creative drivers are standard issue on the internet from where the audio freeze around the last sound that it was making with sound continuously heard. Updating the audio drivers fixed the playback problem and hopefully it can’t design your Asus G73JH freezes anymore."

http://www.bwithyou.com/article/882/asus-g73jh-freezing/

I should have pointed out my G73 is a G73JW, although, I suppose the mentioning of the 460M was a giveaway.

I'm not really convinced of a software issue, unless it is the P4G software, but like I said, I disabled almost everything.

Other thoughts?

Thanks.

nuke

JRd1st
Level 12
Did you go this route altrady - http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?5126-Any-Kind-of-Lag-and-Atheros-WiFi-Card ?
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

dstrakele
Level 14
Can you supply more info on the Critical Errors in Event Log? Please report the Source, EventID, and exact text of the event. Do you get a BugCheck (Source) Event? If so, what is the BugCheckCode reported?

Have you tried testing your RAM with memtest86 one stick at a time?

From your workaround, it appears the problems occur when your system goes into a power saving state. Have you tried uninstalling Power4Gear, then rebooting the system?

If my troubleshooting was actually indicating a USB problem, I would attempt to reinstall the Intel Chipset drivers using the
-overall switch. See JRd1st's New Driver Sticky for instructions on installing the Chipset drivers.

If you do choose to RMA again, be sure to describe your troubleshooting efforts to date and how to reproduce these issues IN STEP-BY-STEP EXCRUCIATING DETAIL. That is the only way you'll have a chance (and it's likely damn small anyway) of ASUS resolving your issue.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Here is the eventID from the event viewer:

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 28/11/2011 5:02:59 PM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: Tantalum
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"
System
Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" /
EventID>41 Version>2 Level>1 Task>63 Opcode>0
Keywords>0x800000000000002 TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-11-28T22:02:59.518414000Z" /
EventRecordID>5497 Correlation /
Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" /
Channel>System Computer>Tantalum Security UserID="S-1-5-18" /
/System
EventData
Data Name="BugcheckCode">254 Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x5 Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0xfffffa80102b71a0 Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x80863b34 Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0xfffffa8010fd6c50 Data Name="SleepInProgress">false Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0 /EventData
/Event

I haven't tested the RAM myself, ASUS reported no issues with the memory. I've never really considered the RAM, I've always thought my problem is too specific for a memory issue.

I have not uninstalled P4G, but I have disabled most everything.

As for USB, the BSODs report a USB bugcode error, and although not recently, my USB 2.0 Ports would stop working. Did not effect the USB 3.0.

nuke

It sounds pretty FUBAR. Since it appears you're still running a lot of Asus software, I think you'd find a clean install resolves much of this. (Probably all.) Or short of that, I'd suggest you go into Control Panel -> Uninstall Programs, and uninstall as many of the Asus utilities as you're willing to. The only one you need to leave is the ATK Package.

Before my last RMA, I had uninstalled all the Asus software, didn't help.

Like you say, a clean install w/o having the bloatware may be the only solution.

Doesn't really answer what is going on, though, as many people are experiencing my exact same issue on different brand laptops. Win 7 Home or Ultimate seems to be the only common thread that I've read.

dstrakele
Level 14
Don't you get a "BugCheck" Source Event in the System Event Log with the BSOD? That's what I'd like to see.

Can you elaborate on the "USB bugcode error"?

The USB 2.0 port failures may indicate you need to re-install your Intel Chipset drivers as I mentioned previously.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

I did get one bugcheck associated with one of the crashes: this is associated with a BSOD.

Here is the data:

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-WER-SystemErrorReporting
Date: 28/11/2011 5:03:08 PM
Event ID: 1001
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Tantalum
Description:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000fe (0x0000000000000005, 0xfffffa80102b71a0, 0x0000000080863b34, 0xfffffa8010fd6c50). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 112811-15007-01.
Event Xml:
Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"
System
Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-WER-SystemErrorReporting" Guid="{ABCE23E7-DE45-4366-8631-84FA6C525952}" EventSourceName="BugCheck" /
EventID Qualifiers="16384">1001 Version>0 Level>2 Task>0 Opcode>0 Keywords>0x80000000000000 TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-11-28T22:03:08.000000000Z" /
EventRecordID>5529 Correlation /
Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" /
Channel>System Computer>Tantalum Security /
/System
EventData
Data Name="param1">0x000000fe (0x0000000000000005, 0xfffffa80102b71a0, 0x0000000080863b34, 0xfffffa8010fd6c50) Data Name="param2">C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP Data Name="param3">112811-15007-01 /EventData
/Event