Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

My computer is still random rebooting, bugcode BSOD, and my usb ports have been stopping working.

The laptop will work for a long time, and then bam, one of them will happen.

I have tried SP1, that didn't help.

I have now installed Throttlestop, going to see if that helps. If anyone has suggested Throttlestop settings, that would be very helpful.

I am convinced these issues are related to one (or more) of the following:

1. A software (MS) issue: not sure this is tops on my list though, because my problems go away with the disable cpu idle tweak. If it was purely software, the cpu idle state should be irrelevant.

2. An issue with the cpu idle states: I still think this is the culprit, just not sure though why the usb issues? If anyone could link the freezing and usb issues with a good reason, then the cpu idle issue is the most probable.

3. Bad usb implementation: that said, Asus replaced my usb ports, so unless ALL Asus usb boards/ports are bad.........unless I won the lottery, and have had TWO bad USB boards.

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array dstrakele's Avatar

I did a little research on STOP 0xFE. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...(v=vs.85).aspx states:

"The BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER bug check has a value of 0x000000FE. This indicates that an error has occurred in a universal serial bus (USB) driver."

Here is what the 4 parameters of STOP 0xFE mean. Your results for these 4 parameters are in italics:

Parameter 1
    0x5

Parameter 2
    0xfffffa80102b71a0
    Device extension pointer of the host controller

Parameter 3
    0x80863b34
    PCI vendor, product id for the controller

Parameter 4
    0xfffffa8010fd6c50
    Pointer to endpoint data structure

"A hardware failure has occurred because of a bad physical address found in a hardware data structure."

As I interpret this, you are experiencing a hardware failure due to a bad physical address in the Intel 5 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller with a PCI Vendor, Product ID of 8086 (Intel), Product ID 3b34

Here is an interesting link to someone experiencing the same problem: http://superuser.com/questions/22158...-involving-usb It correlates well with your finding of disabling CPU Idle as a workaround.

The PDF http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...on-update.html referenced in that page present interesting implications for Intel Series 5 Chipset errors. Some lead to failure to detect USB devices, data transfer delays or stoppages, USB ports stop working, fan speed increased to 100% after BIOS update, and system hangs. I've seen these issues reported in other threads.

I am assuming you already attempted an update to the latest Intel Chipset driver using the -overall switch and it failed to resolve your issue.

It may be worthwhile to PM MarshallR@ASUS and see if you can contact Intel together to find a fix or a better workaround to this issue.
    Last edited by dstrakele; 12-16-2011 at 06:54 PM.
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array

Great research, Drew! (And here I thought I was the only nerd who likes to read that stuff...!)

ROG Enthusiast Array

dstrakele,

Interesting. We may be getting close to a cause, if not the cause. I am not understanding, though, why the disable cpu idle tweak would affect what could very well be a usb issue. This is just poor on Intel's part if they are the cause.

In regards to the latest Intel INF drivers, I did update them, but NOT with this -overall switch. How does that work? Is that a cmd line operation? Or can you edit this into the Properties of the INF installer file?

Thanks.

nuke

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array dstrakele's Avatar

When the CPU is idle, it can be commanded to enter a low power mode. There are several of these low power modes referred to as "C-States". Many of the Intel Series 5 Chipset errors manifest when the CPU is in certain C-State. By disabling CPU idle, you eliminate it entering any of these C-States.

This indicates that ThrottleStop may possibly provide a workaround, since it can disable some C-States.

Installing the Intel Chipset driver with the -overall switch is a command line operation. JR has the instructions at the bottom of his OP in the "Drivers, Apps, and How-to's" thread.

Do you use a USB device with your laptop?

Your issue appears uncommon, and I'm trying to figure out if there is something special about your system that causes it to occur.
    Last edited by dstrakele; 12-16-2011 at 08:35 PM.
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

ROG Enthusiast Array

Well, I am using Throttlestop, and disabled the C-states. So far, and I am not yet at all hopeful, I have not had any issues.

But if Throttlestop does work, then my initial suspicion of the cpu idle being the problem would be correct.

I will update as I continue to monitor the situation.

nuke

New ROGer Array

Nuke235, I am having the same problem as you. I noticed you reported in a different thread back in May that you disabled processor idle states and that caused your system to be stable. Since your above thread is dated December, may I assume the problem came back? I have a G73JW laptop. I have disabled / uninstalled power management, updated all drivers, and tried running a background program when "idle". My laptop crashes if left alone for a few hours. I have not RMA'd yet. I have read many threads on this and haven't seen a cure or any followup from anyone who was able to solve it. I haven't tried upgrading to Windows Ultimate, but have thought about whether that could help. My machine often makes a rythmic high tone noise after crashing, leading me to think its hardware.

ROG Enthusiast Array

@ sausalito,

Like you, I have been experiencing freezes, usb ports stop working, BSOD (usbbugcode check), random reboots.

This problem went away when I used my "disable cpu idle" tweak. The problem with this tweak was the cpu temp went up to over 50C, up to 60C.

Therefore, I did not always use this.

I RMAed my laptop TWICE, and ASUS replaced virtually all of my components, to NO effect.

Now I am using throttlestop (3.0), which I have used to disable the lower c states (c3/6/7), as well as the C1E state. SO FAR, so good, no issues, and temps for both the cpu and gpu are around 40C, which I think is normal.

I strongly suggest you try throttlestop. You could RMA your laptop, but I don't think they'll solve your problem. My experience with ASUS RMA was excellent, like I said, they replaced the MB, cpu, and usb/audio boards, w/o actually fixing the problem.

I have always suspected the issue was with these stupid intel C-states. Part of the problem, though, is how mfgers, including Asus, implement this feature, which is why so many different brands experience this problem. Asus owners are not alone with this issue.

Hope this helps.

nuke

ROG Enthusiast Array

To anyone reading about Throttlestop:

It is important if you are going to use Throttlestop to try to solve freezing, BSOD, etc issues, do NOT disable EIST in Throttlestop once it is installed.

I believe EIST must be checked for Throttlestop to work properly, at least, for this application.

Change the C-state button to C1 (not C3, C6, or C7 - those states are the issue!!).

I also disabled the C1E state (you uncheck that box).

Two days, so far no issues.

I am so praying and hoping this fixes the issues.

nuke

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Setting the C State button in ThrottleStop to C1 blocks the CPU package from entering the deeper sleep states like C3/C6/C7. When set to C1, it still allows individual threads to enter these deeper sleep states so it shouldn't make a huge difference to idle power consumption. Disabling C1E also won't make any significant difference to idle power consumption because the CPU spends hardly any time in C1E when idle as individual threads are going into the deeper sleep states.

Edit: I agree that EIST should be enabled.

If you have a laptop and the C1/C3/C6/C7 button in ThrottleStop is grayed out, that means your bios has locked this feature and it is not available without a modified bios.

If these minor changes help reduce the BSOD issue then that's great and it would be my opinion that the CPU is not being supplied with enough voltage. Perhaps that could be solved with an updated bios version from Asus. Inadequate voltage is a frequent cause of BSOD issues.

The latest version of ThrottleStop has a very accurate monitoring panel that lets you see what C States your CPU is using when idle.

ThrottleStop 4.00
    http://www.techinferno.com/downloads/
    Last edited by unclewebb; 12-21-2011 at 04:54 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast