cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installed Win8.1 Pro on g551jw and accidentally deleted Recovery and UEFI Partition

Korean_Unicorn
Level 7
I just recently bought a ASUS ROG g551jw, I wanted to change the OS to Win8.1 pro since the default one is just Win 8.1.
I tried to direct install Win8.1 pro from the ISO but it failed 2 times. so I decided to install it via boot. I turned off Secure boot and enabled CMS. Then another I encountered another problem, I can't install Win8.1 on a gpt partition, this time i already formatted the C: drive, I used the cmd prompt from the bootable drive I did some steps:
1. clean
2. changed gpt = mbr
3. created a partition primary 300gb

After that I successfully installed Win8.1 and download Updates, I got worried since the keyboard backlight wasn't working. I tried to turn it on with fn + f3/f4 and it wasn't working. (It was working when I bought it) Now I think that I kinda messed up a bit here. I downloaded drivers for my GPU, Gestures.

The problem here now is, is that a major issue(deleting recovery/UEFI)? and is there a driver for the keyboard backlight? Will be there more problems in the future? I really don't know what the problem is.. 😞 Sorry im new.
9 REPLIES 9

Clintlgm
Level 14
Yes what you have done is cleaned your hard driver and converted to MBR and delete your recovery partition. Well you have an 8.1 pro ISO and Key so you have no need for that recovery partition.
Since you Clean installed you will have to install all your hard ware divers. Asus Support Downloads this where you will find them. You will need the chipset, Ime, audio video ATK package, and what ever drivers are there for your notebook.

Once you get all your drivers installed everything should start working correctly although you won't be able to use Secure Boot as it can not work with MBR OS.

Actually you didn't need to clean install. All that was needed was to go though "Add Features" and type in your Pro Key that would have release the Pro features with out installing or un installing anything.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Korean_Unicorn
Level 7
Thanks for the reply! Will do note this for the future.

Prostar_Compute
Level 9
Was there a particular reason as to why you switched to CSM and MBR?

Remember to install the chipset driver before any other driver, then your Intel graphics driver second. After the rest of your drivers are installed, Windows updates can come next.

Hopefully you get everything back up and running smoothly. 🙂

We customize Asus, MSI, and Clevo laptops!

Prostar Computer wrote:
Was there a particular reason as to why you switched to CSM and MBR?

Remember to install the chipset driver before any other driver, then your Intel graphics driver second. After the rest of your drivers are installed, Windows updates can come next.

Hopefully you get everything back up and running smoothly. 🙂

ohh. I just randomly installed drivers. I actually started with Windows Updates. I wanted to upgrade my OS to 8.1 Pro. I didn't know back then that I can do that without booting.

Is there a particular reason for this? I want to know, I don't if it's the reason for the DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE. I get like 3 per day, I already downgraded my Nvidia Driver from 350 to 347.52.
😞

Korean Unicorn wrote:
ohh. I just randomly installed drivers. I actually started with Windows Updates. I wanted to upgrade my OS to 8.1 Pro. I didn't know back then that I can do that without booting.

Is there a particular reason for this? I want to know, I don't if it's the reason for the DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE. I get like 3 per day, I already downgraded my Nvidia Driver from 350 to 347.52.
😞

Yes since you didn't load the chipset driver first you'll need to do it from command prompt. You only get one chance to load chipset driver easy. First extract the chipset drivers to a folder Chip on the root of your C:\ drive. So now you'll need to open CMD as administrator Search/CMD right click Runs as administrator. CD\ that should bring you back root of C:\ CD Chip, That brings you into Folder Chip type Setup.exe hit enter and your Chipset drivers will actually install you will know this because you'll see a long list of drivers install in the install tool. If your running a SSD you'll need the IRST driver installed reboot and then install the IME drivers. After that WiFi, LAN , Bluetooth Then Video if you have issues with the latest from NVidia uses the latest on the Asus Support Downloads Thoes are tested to work on your notebook.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
Yes since you didn't load the chipset driver first you'll need to do it from command prompt. You only get one chance to load chipset driver easy. First extract the chipset drivers to a folder Chip on the root of your C:\ drive. So now you'll need to open CMD as administrator Search/CMD right click Runs as administrator. CD\ that should bring you back root of C:\ CD Chip, That brings you into Folder Chip type Setup.exe hit enter and your Chipset drivers will actually install you will know this because you'll see a long list of drivers install in the install tool. If your running a SSD you'll need the IRST driver installed reboot and then install the IME drivers. After that WiFi, LAN , Bluetooth Then Video if you have issues with the latest from NVidia uses the latest on the Asus Support Downloads Thoes are tested to work on your notebook.

So should i reinstall windows? And start from there?

I have downloaded everything from asus support, installed everything even the graphics driver except the bios thingy, I'm too afraid to do anything to the bios. I still got BSODs and It's kinda freaking me out.

btw do you have any tips on installing dual-boot ubuntu? I'm afraid I might make a mistake again, but since I did a clean install already does that mean i can do it the normal way?

Sorry for asking alot of questions.

No need to reinstall OS, Just install the chipset drivers you will know when they actually install. If you just run the tool in windows the tool just comes up and states that it is complete. If you run it from CMD window and add the switch -overall (setup.exe -overall) you will see the Inf files actually install.
I have no idea about Ubuntu, You will have to get that info from someone that actually dual boots it.
If you are still getting BSOD check out this forum specific to BSOD there are people that can help you. http://www.eightforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

ZIXEL
Level 7
Hey guys i got same problem , need reinstall via UEFI MODE win 8.1 , but 3 months ago i deleted all my disks partitions , RECOVERY , MSR , EFI AND BOOT , i installed win 8.1 pro CSM mode (legacy BIOS)+ 2 linux distros in trial boot ,now i cannot find the way how to install just VIA UEFI MODE Win 8.1.

i tryed many tutorials just (3) , but without any results , maybe i need a mirror of EFI partition or recovery , or something like that ,

right now my g551jw , is just formated in GPT and without any system , i wanna solve this if i cannot get it , just i will reinstall in CSM MODE win 8.1
GG WP

I can recommend >>> http://voltground.com

I just play StarCraft II

ZIXEL wrote:
Hey guys i got same problem , need reinstall via UEFI MODE win 8.1 , but 3 months ago i deleted all my disks partitions , RECOVERY , MSR , EFI AND BOOT , i installed win 8.1 pro CSM mode (legacy BIOS)+ 2 linux distros in trial boot ,now i cannot find the way how to install just VIA UEFI MODE Win 8.1.

i tryed many tutorials just (3) , but without any results , maybe i need a mirror of EFI partition or recovery , or something like that ,

right now my g551jw , is just formated in GPT and without any system , i wanna solve this if i cannot get it , just i will reinstall in CSM MODE win 8.1

Hi there.
I can advise you to read Guide: How to install windows 8/8.1/10 The proper way (UEFI based installation).
if something isn't understood from the guides, please comment not in here about but in this thread, so it can serve as a knowledge base for others.
note that "jumping" the small-things i.e not performing "minor" order exactly as instructed in that guide, won't help your case.
( like preparing UEFI compatible windows installation usb on ntfs flashdisk instead of fat32 formatted flashdisk)
I tried my best to explain every step in that guide.
also, do yourself a favour, install windows as 3rd partition ( 1st is the SYSTEM/EFI partition ( fat32 formatted ) for the OSs boot files, 2nd partition is the must-have MSR partition, only 3rd etc partitions are the OS partitions ) and any linux distro in 4th+ partition.
after you've finished installing the linux distro's - you need to decide what type of BOOTLOADER you want to use.
boot loader is the "screen" you see after POST which let you decide, using a UI/GUI what system you wish to boot into.
MS has their bootloader, ubuntu got it... etc...
if you wish to use MS's bootloader, you need to read in my Guide thread under "how to recover windows from an image backup" ( the part where you ned to boot into windows installation and restore/fix the bootloader )
then, boot into winows, and download for FREE app like EasyBCD to add any linux distro to the MS bootloader UI/GUI OSs list.
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]