Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array SpoonerUK PC Specs
    SpoonerUK PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)HP Envy 17
    MotherboardRampage V Extreme
    Processori7 5960x
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 2800 (8x4GB)
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 980 STRIX OC 4GB
    Graphics Card #2ASUS GTX 980 STRIX OC 4GB
    Graphics Card #3ASUS GTX 980 STRIX OC 4GB
    Sound CardAsus ROG Phoebus
    Monitor3x Asus VE278Q
    Storage #14x Samsung Evo 840 256GB
    CPU CoolerEKWB CSQ
    CaseMountain Mods Ascension
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1500i
    Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Mouse Logitech G500s
    Headset Creative Something-or-other
    OS Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Network RouterNetgear AC1900

HI all,

I'm new to the ROG site/forum but certainly not new to Asus. Every motherboard that I have owned at home has been Asus, all the way back to my P3 800, some 12 years ago!

I've been running a Maximus IV Extreme-Z since November of last year, and have been experiencing the fabled USB ports stopping after x amount of time. Sometimes my mouse just stops working right in the middle of a frantic round of BF3 which is highly annoying, other times my Razer Megaloden headset stops, other times my Logitech G13. Sometimes, When I boot up into Windows, the mouse is just dead.

Anyway, following the great advice in this thread, I've flashed my Renesas controllers on my motherboard, and updated my drivers from the linked "station" website.

I will inform you though, that the firmware update .exe failed to work on my box, and chewed up shed loads of system memory. I looked in task manager, and I had some 4000 separate cmd prompts running, all from what I assume is the batch file trying to update the roms chips, and failing as there are 2 present on my board.

Looking into Google, I came across this site: http://pete.akeo.ie/2011/10/flashing...as-usb-30.html - Which describes how to just run the W200FW35.exe file manually and verify/backup and update your firmware.

I will see how my performance goes over the next few days.

Does anyone have a map of which ports on the back of the board (the i/o shield area) are USB2 or USB3 ?

Cheers
    Spoon

ROG Enthusiast Array

I think all the blue ones are USB 3.0

ROG Enthusiast Array

Hi all, I regret to inform you that even the latest firmware update does not solve the problem; after a week of using my pc, finally today the usb 3.0 upper ports stopped again.

ASUS please fix this problem!!!

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by boyka View Post
    I also had these problems with the usb's on my Maximus IV Extreme Z and after trying several solutions
    mentioned here, the only way to solve the problem was turning off the computer, unplug the power supply
    and wait about 60 seconds.
    After doing these, the computer seems to have solved the problem of usb's.
    One week has passed and I had no problems, not sure if permanently or just temporarily but I'm curious
    to know if it will happen again!
    I hope that ASUS make a correction quickly, because many people complained about the same problem.
    Best regards mates.
    I just did this myself and so far so good.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by DeadDesperado View Post
    I just did this myself and so far so good.
    It is just temporary. I am afraid it will come again, unless Asus helps us with a serious BIOS upgrade.

New ROGer Array

Hello everyone,
    Just like you I am also having problems with my USBs M4E. About 5/6 months I sent my board to the warranty problems in accusing USBs. After about one month M4E received a new knowledge that had been detected current peaks. This time I bought a surge protector to avoid the spikes. Unfortunately last week, I connected the command of the ps2 usb adapter with the USB 2.0 ports and this again is not recognized by win7, however disconnect the command of the keyboard and my pc is not to be recognized, without leaving the keyboard. Then tested other USBs ports to put the keyboard to work and nothing but the USB 2.0 ports. The next day I returned to turn the keyboard on the door that was the day before and it worked. This week was on the pc and suddenly appears a warning message saying that win7 was detected surge spikes in usb 3.0 ports. I have checked and everything was working right. Anyway .. I'm angry with the problems of the usb's. Anyway someone suggests something else to solve this little big problem?

PS. The same command with the same adpadtador on board the Rampage Extreme III runs smoothly

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Jr. View Post
    Hello everyone,
    Just like you I am also having problems with my USBs M4E. About 5/6 months I sent my board to the warranty problems in accusing USBs. After about one month M4E received a new knowledge that had been detected current peaks. This time I bought a surge protector to avoid the spikes. Unfortunately last week, I connected the command of the ps2 usb adapter with the USB 2.0 ports and this again is not recognized by win7, however disconnect the command of the keyboard and my pc is not to be recognized, without leaving the keyboard. Then tested other USBs ports to put the keyboard to work and nothing but the USB 2.0 ports. The next day I returned to turn the keyboard on the door that was the day before and it worked. This week was on the pc and suddenly appears a warning message saying that win7 was detected surge spikes in usb 3.0 ports. I have checked and everything was working right. Anyway .. I'm angry with the problems of the usb's. Anyway someone suggests something else to solve this little big problem?

PS. The same command with the same adpadtador on board the Rampage Extreme III runs smoothly
    I am not quite sure I understand your issue. Please try to explain again.

However, I have a feeling your problem is not quite the same as the one I and other people (including the OP) in this post have; on my motherboard, the upper usb 3.0 ports SOMETIMES they decide to stop working. I can simply remedy it by unpluging the power off my PSU for a few seconds. That's all. Annoying though easily -and temporarily- solvable.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by kittendoggie View Post
    It is just temporary. I am afraid it will come again, unless Asus helps us with a serious BIOS upgrade.
    Yep. Took about a week and it finally did it again.

Looking at NewEgg's page for this board, which is who I bought it from, looks like a lot of people are having this issue. That wasn't the case then I purchased it. Huh.
    Last edited by DeadDesperado; 05-07-2012 at 02:54 AM.
    Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4 GHz // Windows 7 Ultimate Edition
    Asus Maximus IV Extreme Rev. 3.0 // G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 1866 MHz 16GB (4x4GB)
    ATI Radeon HD 6870 by XFX 1 GB DDR5 // OCZ Technology 1000W ZX Series Power Supply
    Seagate Barracuda 2 Tb HDD (x2) // LG 12X BD-R (x2)
    Danger Den Double Wide 21 Case

ROG Enthusiast Array

we are waiting for a BIOS update I supposed. Let us hope it comes in good time.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Ok here is what you guys need to do! first off, get some USB 2.0 bracket or if it comes with your mobo use that, use USB 2.0 ports insead od 3.0 (blue ones) if you can for your keyboard mouse, if not its ok to use 3.0 ports as well but first follow this procedure!

1. Flash to latest BIOS, using USB BIOS flashback metod, or at least clear cmos before you start this operation and remove the power cord, then press few times on power button on your case, wait 30 seconds, plug power cord and boot.

2. Go into BIOS > load optimized defaults, reboot, go into BIOS again>advance settings> enter APM section, enable wake by PCI-E and wake by keyboard, save and exit.

3. Download and install latest Intel RST drvivers for your mobo, and latest NEC USB 3.0 Renesas drivers, uninstall the previous ones, reboot.

4. Into windows,control panel>power options> set USB selective suspend to off, same goes for PCI-E Link power turn it off!

5. Enable high performance power plan in control panel.

6. If your reinstalling Windows, make sure your using USB 2.0 ports, during the operation! later you can use whatever port you want.

That would be all, this works 100000% especially if you use USB 2.0 bracket! you don't need USB 3.0 for keyboard/mouse!

P.S. IMHO the problem is related to using USB devices rated to higer mv, then new stardards, i had my problem when i used old USB flash drive, with new USB 3.0 i dont think you will have any issues, they are cheap generally.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast