cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New build with 9590 random crash codes 99 and 66 (pics)

warriorz
Level 7
Ok so i did a new build and I get random crashes and freeze at the start screen where you press F2 or Del to enter the bios when it freezes it shows the code 99, but than when i restart the pc it boots fine into windows 8.1 and everything works but the code 66 will show displayed but ram works fine and all, very rarely i do get a freeze while idle. I tested the ram so i know thats fine. here are my specs:

Asus crosshair v formula z - 2201
FX 9590 stock liquid cooling temps idle at around 40c
Saphire R9 290 4gb 512bit
G.Skill Trident X Series 2x8GB ddr3 2400
evga super nova 1000watts g2 80 plus gold certf. - hopefully can handle all this

here's pics of my setup

8 REPLIES 8

warriorz
Level 7
forgot to ask do i need to plug the EZ_PLUG and EATX12_2?

AMD_FX_9370
Level 7
EZ plug is necessary for the graphics card but the extra 4 pin 12v near the mem socket is for super high overclocks it gives extra juice to the memory controller.
MOBO - Asus Crosshair V Formula Z
CPU - AMD FX-9370 @ 4.7GHz 1.45v
COOLING- Xspc raystorm,Xspc RX240 rad, EK C5F-Z wb,Swiftech mcp 655 pump
RAM - 8GB Corsair Dominator @ 2133MHz 9 11 11 31 54 2T 1.65v
GPU - ASUS R9 390X DCII 8GB
HDD - Samsung SSD 250gb evo X2 raid 0/ Segate 1.5tb 7200
PSU - Corsair TX750W
CASE - Corsair 450D
OS - Windows 7 Pro 64bit

TheNerdBench
Level 10
Greetings and welcome to the ASUS ROG Forum,

With the FX-9000 series CPUs you need to populate BOTH the 4-Pin and 8-Pin EATX12V connectors. I'm going to guess this is the main problem.

Also it NEVER hurts to have the EZPLUG connector populated 🙂

Here are some BIOS settings to check for the memory:
1) Disable ECC Memory
2) Manually configure your memory speed to 2400 vs. AUTO
3) Sometimes it is hard to tell in the photos but can you check the manual on page 1-9 to see if you modules are install in the correct slots?

Also are any of the status LEDs on near the Main ATX Power Connector?

Post back what you are finding as always I am curious to find a solution 🙂

[/HR]
For trouble-shooting tips see my blog at:

[/HR]
http://thenerdbench.blogspot.com/p/bench-testing.html

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]

TheNerdBench wrote:
Greetings and welcome to the ASUS ROG Forum,

With the FX-9000 series CPUs you need to populate BOTH the 4-Pin and 8-Pin EATX12V connectors. I'm going to guess this is the main problem.

Also it NEVER hurts to have the EZPLUG connector populated 🙂

Here are some BIOS settings to check for the memory:
1) Disable ECC Memory
2) Manually configure your memory speed to 2400 vs. AUTO
3) Sometimes it is hard to tell in the photos but can you check the manual on page 1-9 to see if you modules are install in the correct slots?

Also are any of the status LEDs on near the Main ATX Power Connector?

Post back what you are finding as always I am curious to find a solution 🙂

before i did anything i took a wild turn, i installed Windows 7 Ultimate and the pc is running nice and smooth so for me Windows 7 fixed the problems. BTW I did connect both of the 4 pin sockets

AMD_FX_9370
Level 7
I run a FX9370 and run the system 24/7 without the extra 4pin 12v connector it does nothing unless your pushing your memory very hard !
MOBO - Asus Crosshair V Formula Z
CPU - AMD FX-9370 @ 4.7GHz 1.45v
COOLING- Xspc raystorm,Xspc RX240 rad, EK C5F-Z wb,Swiftech mcp 655 pump
RAM - 8GB Corsair Dominator @ 2133MHz 9 11 11 31 54 2T 1.65v
GPU - ASUS R9 390X DCII 8GB
HDD - Samsung SSD 250gb evo X2 raid 0/ Segate 1.5tb 7200
PSU - Corsair TX750W
CASE - Corsair 450D
OS - Windows 7 Pro 64bit

TheNerdBench
Level 10
Hum...odd. Your description made it sound as your rig was locking up during the POST even before you started loading the OS.

Thanks for posting back your findings too.

[/HR]
For trouble-shooting tips see my blog at:

[/HR]
http://thenerdbench.blogspot.com/p/bench-testing.html

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]

TheNerdBench wrote:
Hum...odd. Your description made it sound as your rig was locking up during the POST even before you started loading the OS.

Thanks for posting back your findings too.

that is wierd it did lock up before loading the os, it was locking during posting (i had to restart useing the reboot button), but after reinstalling the os it seems to be fixed but it makes no sense at all. but im happy this thing is working its a beast 🙂

MichaelVanity
Level 7
To use the CPU on your system, you should meet the minimum requirements specified by AMD which for your CPU, Should be a minimum of 1200 watts for the psu.

"I do not work nor do I speak on behalf of asus or there employees"