cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R3E Question...

gvii
Level 7
So far, this has been a fantastic board. I find the north and south bridge temps a little high for my taste, but still far lower than old Maximus Formula that used to hit 65+ under load while idling near 60, and prompted me to add it to the water circuit. This tends to hover around 52 at idle, but really do not climb much even under load. It has yet to see anything over 59. Considering adding it to the circuit as well, but I hate to remove the stock heatsink. I'm usually not one to worry a whole lot about what the mobo looks like, but in this case, that sink just looks fantastic. So I really don't want to remove it, to be completely honest.

So I have just a couple of questions. One, can anyone confirm replacing the thermal paste between the cooler and chipsets has had any real benefits in doing so? It was one of the first things I did to my Maximus when I realized how high, and it did not have a significant effect. In the end, it lowered temps by a matter of one or two degrees at best. To be quite frank, if I'm going to go through the trouble of reapplying paste and waiting a week for it to cure to see it did next to nothing, I may as well tear the entire box down again to install waterblocks. But if someone can honestly say that replacing the paste made a difference, then I would be willing to at least try that first. I've also considered working on the contact area between the optional fansink and the cooler to see if that would help as well. Neither surface is exactly the cleanest on Earth, and it's covered by the red powdercoat/paint/anodization used to color the cooler anyway. Whether or not that would actually make a difference or not, I don't know. But it wouldn't be much work for me if I have removed the cooler to replace the stock thermal paste anyway.

Two, what exactly is the purpose of the three pin jumper next to the 24 pin power connector labeled QPI_LL_SW? I think I have a pretty good idea of what it's for, but it would be nice to have a confirmation, since I can't seem to find it in the manual. I don't know if I'm just not seeing it in there, but I've been through it several times trying to confirm what it does.

But this has been a great board so far. Currently running an i7-950 with 6 gigs of Crucial Ballistix at 1600 MHz, and it's been stable as a rock. I love having the dual BIOS, since I was always nervous about tinkering on the old board, especially when I was running the Maximus Rampage mod. Never had any problems, but it was always in the back of my mind, especially considering the BIOS was not removable. Having the ability to try BIOS updates and switch back with just a button push in case of any problems is really a great option. The ROGConnect options have been really useful as well. I've been an ASUS man for a long time, and this board really made me glad I've stuck with them for as long as I have. About the only thing I would have liked to see included with the board is a water block for the chipset like the original Rampage and Maximus Extreme. And I have to say I completely agree with doing away with the dual NF200 chipsets as standard equipment. I know there are probably some who are disappointed, and I can understand their point of view, I do believe the added cost would have shied me away from this board.

Ok, I'm done babbling now. Thanks for your time!
5 REPLIES 5

ottoyu34
Level 9
Long first post man, but welcome to the forums!

Personally, I would rather Asus not including any waterblock from stock, since any real watercoolers would throw it away at first.
under the stock R3E stock heatsink is some pretty thick thermal pads. I have tried replacing those and adding TIM to the chipset piece of heatsink.
The improvements are minimal.

NF200 chips would add a lot of cost, unless you are using three or more cards. It actually adds more latency to your PCI-Express bus.

Thanks for the welcome, and sorry for the late reply. Been busy with work lately.

But I agree with you wholeheartedly on the NF200 chips. Just don't need them. I don't see me ever running Quad-SLI. In fact, I'm not too likely to even go to a triple CrossfireX setup, since scalability is often an issue in a lot of games. Granted, I could just shut off the third card if I had a problem, but I doubt it's anything I'll worry about in the near future. So the dropping of those chips doesn't bother me a bit.

What exactly is that jumper by the 24 pin ATX power for? I can take a semi-educated guess based on the QPI_LL_SW label, but it would be nice to have a confirmation of what it is exactly since it's not mentioned in the manual anywhere.

ottoyu34
Level 9
I'm not sure on the jumper too.

If you want to watercool the board, but dont want to spend a lot on a full cover block. I know you can use the universal chipset blocks from EK and install it where the
optional fans goes. I'm sure the performance is not even comparable to FC blocks. But at least temp should be lower and looks cool.

Retired
Not applicable
that is the QPI load line calibration switch. you only need it for extreme QPI adjustments under extreme conditions. it is defaulted to off.

Ok, that's kinda what I figured. But since there was no mention of it in the manual, I didn't want to mess with it.

Anyway, thank you to both of you, I appreciate the help!