ROG Enthusiast Array

Question Ram capacity drops after shut down

So I managed to get my G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 series 64GB (8 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2800 to work, I was having issues having all 64gb working at that speed. What I did was clear the cmos then select the XMP profile. Checked it in the bios and OS and it showed 64gb at 2800mhz which was correct. The weird part was that when I shut it down and turned it back on, it stalled on a Qcode 33, followed by it turning itself off. Once it got back to running, it dropped its capacity to 48gb at 2800mhz. Im curious as to what is the culprit for the change being the weird 33 code. Any help is very much appreciated.

Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

The memory isn't stable and is not passing training properly. The IMC will not map DIMMs that don't pass POST training. You will need to tune System Agent voltage/DRAM voltage and if that does not help choose a lower operating frequency. Not all CPUs can handle 64GB at DDR4-2800 without lots of timing concessions.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Raja@ASUS View Post
    The memory isn't stable and is not passing training properly. The IMC will not map DIMMs that don't pass POST training. You will need to tune System Agent voltage/DRAM voltage and if that does not help choose a lower operating frequency. Not all CPUs can handle 64GB at DDR4-2800 without lots of timing concessions.
    Before noticing this I played with the System Agent Voltage and DRAM voltage which still sat at the same 48gb at 2800mhz after tweaking. I pushed the Agent to 1.3V and DRAM to 1.35V. Id imagine that my intel i7-5960x could handle 64gb at that frequency?
    Last edited by khoatic; 06-15-2015 at 07:04 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array avsquare PC Specs
    avsquare PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Rampage V Extreme
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-5930K
    Memory (part number)Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 2666MHz
    Graphics Card #1Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming
    Sound CardCreative Sound Blaster E5
    MonitorDell U2713HM x 1 | Dell U2340L x 2
    Storage #1Samsung 840 EVO SSD 250GB
    Storage #2WD Green 2TB x 2 in RAID 1
    CPU CoolerCorsair Hydro Series H100i GTX
    CaseCorsair Carbide Series Air 540
    Power SupplyCorsair AX860
    Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Edition
    Mouse Logitech G600
    Headset Audio Technica ATH-A900X LTD | Razer Tiamat 7.1
    OS Windows 8.1 64bit

I think TS should have probably continued where he left from his previous thread: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...ency-increases

It appears that his IMC is a rather weak one. I gave him a suggested setting to start from for his chip (which need to push DRAM voltage to 1.35V; XMP default was 1.2V) and he managed to get all 64GB recognized for the first time.

Anyways khoatic, as mentioned in the previous thread you shouldn't dial system agent voltage in large incremental. Try 0.01V adjustments. If it still doesn't work, then you might want to consider lower frequencies as Raja have stated.