cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me make a Decision

Retired
Not applicable
My Brother wants to make a trade with me.He want to trade his ASUS Rampage 3 GENE with a Intel I7-950 and 6 gigs Corsair tri-channel 1600. What I have is down below.I also could do the trade with an ASUS Sabertooth x58 board. Please let me know should I keep what I have or do the trades.
I respect ya'll's opinion...Thanks:)
10 REPLIES 10

Retired
Not applicable
first question is why does HE want to trade? are you swapping your board, cpu, memory?

Retired
Not applicable
Brian, yeah just the mother board,cpu,and ram...I keep everything else.I just got my comp. built about a month ago, so it's not that old.He has the parts I'm talking about, new in the boxes still.But he don't have the asus sabertooth board. The reason he wants to trade is that we switched up on are upgrades and I always been an Intel guy and he's a AMD person.I don't mind doing it if it's worth it, I just want to make sure which one is the better build...Thanks Brian...

xeromist
I'd say it's about the same, personally. Do you like the micro-atx form factor?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
I've never owned a micro-atx board.But I do know I'll never run 3 vid cards.So I guess I'll be alright with it..

Retired
Not applicable
If the 950 can do the same clocks as your thuban its a better performance trade and money wise you will be a tad ahead of the game.

Retired
Not applicable
that is something to think about Chew..I know I can clock my cpu higher then what it is at the moment..but i'm happy with where it's at and core temp says it's 22c at idel and playing Dirt 2 and games like that on load is around 31c to 34c. So I'm not sure about clocking that i7-950 that high, who knows...lol I'm starting to think I might stay where I'm at..besides I think that micro-atx will look funny in my 932 case..lol But I have untell the end of the month to make my mind up and I have a few friends telling me I'm stupid for not doing it..That's why I'm here on this forum asking ya'll, because ya'll here knows your stuff..thanks again

Retired
Not applicable
i see pros and cons to both sides. chew maybe you can better answer this but, the 950 will have 8 threads vs 6 cores. what are the performance differences between 8 gigs dual channel and 6 gigs tri channel? the cpu cache performance difference, also if you plan to raid any SSD, the 890fx has a better raid option as it is native sata6 the Gene only has 2 ports vs formula having 6. and when you raid, the 890fx doesn't bottleneck your bandwidth like marvel and should still be faster than the intel controller. i dunno pros and cons to it all, but the crosshair iv formula is a awesome board. if you dont have issues using it now, i don't see the reason to trade.

xeromist
Tri-channel won't buy you anything. I tested dual vs triple channel Folding@Home bigadv and saw maybe a couple of minutes difference on frame times at most. I've seen similar results from other people's benchmark tests (Tom's). You get maybe a few percent bump in the most demanding applications and benchmarks but normal usage is almost identical. 8GB vs 6GB doesn't matter either unless you're using it as a workstation. There aren't any games or consumer grade applications that need 8GB. So the memory situation is a wash.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
Brian,Chew and xeromist,ya'll have been very helpful and I thank you. I'm staying with I have. I'm happy that I joined this forum and I hope to be here for a long time...:)Now my next step is to get with Imax or one of ya'll about them G-Skill Flames I'd read about and see if I'm better off with them for this X6 BE cpu, I'll jump over to that forum...Thanks again