cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74Sx Overclocking button help

k2roo
Level 7
Hi all, i am new to the ROG scene and i need a little help without sounding like a noob. I just purchased a G74Sx and i am more than happy, however, i didnt get a manual or anything to tell me how to use the O/C button next to the power on/off button. I have pressed the button a few times and nothing happens, no light comes on and nothing changes on my CPU gadget monitor. How do i use this? I am pretty sure i have updated the laptop's drivers but maybe i am missing something. Are there drivers or a program needed to use this feature/button? And how do i use it?
Also another really annoying thing is that when i type, i frequently rest my palm on the mouse pad and it stuffs my text up (quite frustrating), can this pad be turned on and off?
20 REPLIES 20

fostert
Level 12
That button is not an OC button at all: it is linked to cycle through the power4gear profiles, which are various power saving modes (performance, quiet, entertainment, battery-save). It does nothing else, and I think if you don't have ATK and power4gear installed on your notebook, it does nothing period.

Yes, i get the hand-touching-the-touchpad problem messing up my typing all the time. You can turn the touchpad off in the BIOS on bootup, or if you use Windows, the ASUS key bindings in ATK allow you to turn it on/off with fn+F9. Since I use linux I can only turn the darn thing off via BIOS upon bootup. Annoying.
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

fostert wrote:
That button is not an OC button at all: it is linked to cycle through the power4gear profiles, which are various power saving modes (performance, quiet, entertainment, battery-save). It does nothing else, and I think if you don't have ATK and power4gear installed on your notebook, it does nothing period.

Switching power modes as described above occurs if your laptop is running. If the machine is powered off and you press the ROG button, the machine will boot into Express Gate, an abbreviated OS that is an extension of the BIOS. It's purpose is to provide a quick boot for limited functionality such as Web Browsing, playing music, working with photos, etc. Details are discussed in a separate hardcopy manual that is included with your G74SX.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

fostert wrote:
You can turn the touchpad off in the BIOS on bootup, or if you use Windows, the ASUS key bindings in ATK allow you to turn it on/off with fn+F9. Since I use linux I can only turn the darn thing off via BIOS upon bootup. Annoying.

Ok so i have the P4G going but i cant seem to turn thetouchpad on or off using the ASUS key binding (fn+f9). I am running windows 7 as well. Any ideas?

The ATK driver is the one that makes those Fn keys work, not P4G. Do your other Fn keys work, i.e., if you hit Fn+F7, does it blank your monitor? And can you control the colume with F11 & F12?

You may need to uninstall the ATK package completely, restart, and then install the latest version.

BrodyBoy
Level 10
k2roo wrote:
Also another really annoying thing is that when i type, i frequently rest my palm on the mouse pad and it stuffs my text up (quite frustrating), can this pad be turned on and off?

Rather than completely disabling the touchpad, you can also just disable it while typing and increase its reactivation time.

k2roo
Level 7
Thanks for the replies! Cheers

JRd1st
Level 12
You do.need P4G for the RoG button to work, though. Not that its particularly useful or practical.

I use shortcuts for my powercfgs.
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Ok i just installed the ATK drivers but i didnt uninstall the previous..i will un-install and re-install tomorrow..Thanks for helping guys 🙂

I was think the same thing.

Besite the monitor from intel. the over clock? is automatic or it is hardware.

If it is the atk I have the 1.0. instal. That will do.
Learn, Play Enjoy!