cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Formula VII - No boot, no indication of power

Firethorne
Level 7
Just finished my new build, and it isn't booting. Tried the case power button, and that didn't work, so opened it up and using the start button on the MB. I'm getting no LED's, no Q Code, no beeps. Suggestions?

ASUS MAXIMUS VII FORMULA
Intel Core i7-4790K Devil’s Canyon
4 x CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 8GB DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) Model CMY16GX3M2A2400C11R
1 x ASUS TURBO-GTX970-OC-4GD5 GeForce GTX 970
1 x CORSAIR HX Series HX850 850W
9 REPLIES 9

TheNerdBench
Level 10
Greetings,

I would suggest using the bench-testing approach to building up a system; see web-link in my signature.

The more common things to look our for...
0) do you have power going to the PSU 🙂
1) are all the power connections populated?
2) run 1 memory module in the correct slot per the manual
3) get the DVM out and measure the +Vsb voltage on the Main ATX Power Connector, that needs to be in a ranger of 4.8 to 5.1 Vdc for anything else to work.

[/HR]
For trouble-shooting tips see my blog at:

[/HR]
http://thenerdbench.blogspot.com/p/bench-testing.html

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]

Firethorne
Level 7
0. Yep. Even tried switching to the socket the monitor was on as to be sure we had power.

1. Tried reseating the main 24 pin. Seems good. As to EATX12V_1 & EATX12V_2, maybe I was confused by the wording of the manual. Page 1-43 of the manual says "Do not forget to connect the 4-pin/8-pin EATX12 V power plug. Otherwise, the system will not boot." Does that mean both should be connected? I had both the 4 and 8-pin connectors in.

At any rate, I tried, leaving only the 8-pin, and was getting the same result.

2. Tired again a few times cycling in each of the sticks DIMM_A2 only. No signs of life.

3. DVM? Not sure what that is. Assuming power supply tester? I don't own one, but ordered one from amazon. Should be here Wed. Anything to try in the meantime?

Nate152
Hello Firethorne

Sorry to see you are having issues with your new build.

If you have the 24 pin main power cable connected and you're not getting a code from the motherboard that means one of two things either the psu or the motherboard is faulty.

The 8 pin is required for cpu power, the 4 pin is only needed for extreme overclocking but it doesn't hurt anything to connect them both.

Firethorne
Level 7
Well, did think of one thing I could do in the meantime. Unfortunately the results aren't good. Pulled the 24 and one 8 pin connectors out of my last build (TX750 PSU). I realize this didn't have any power going to my drives or video card, but I'm assuming I should at least get a beep or a Q code out of the motherboard, but did not. And that PSU is now again powering the pc I'm now typing on, so there shouldn't be any problems there.

Anything else I should try (aside from starting to fill out the RMA paperwork)? I'm getting a sinking feeling about this board.

Nate152
You could try the whole psu from your other pc just to be sure, if it still doesn't power up then yeah set up an rma.

TheNerdBench
Level 10
Sorry, DVM=Digital Volt Meter 🙂

Did you pull the motherboard from the case so you can "bench test" it? I ask because more than once a standoff was "misplaced" causing the MB not to power-up 🙂

[/HR]
For trouble-shooting tips see my blog at:

[/HR]
http://thenerdbench.blogspot.com/p/bench-testing.html

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]

TheNerdBench wrote:
Sorry, DVM=Digital Volt Meter 🙂

Did you pull the motherboard from the case so you can "bench test" it? I ask because more than once a standoff was "misplaced" causing the MB not to power-up 🙂

In other words, there could be a short somewhere which is causing a failure to post.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

Firethorne
Level 7
OK. Had time to pull the MB out of the case tonight. Bench test and we have power. LED's are on for the power button, the Republic of gamer logo, and the reset CMOS button on the back panel. Powering up yields code 99.

We also have HDMI out. Saying CPU Fan Error and press F1 to Run setup. Sounds like my cpu pump is working (Corsair Hydro H100i GTX), and the radiator fans are on. But, it isn't connected to the USB, anymore, so that might be part of the error.

I'll reload this into the case and try again with more items connected.

Nate152
Good to hear you brought it to life. More than likely it sounds like what these other guys suggested, a short.

You'll want to connect the h100i usb cable to a usb 2.0 header on the mobo, this is power for the pump.

Code 99 is a gpu related error, if you have a gpu installed in the pcie slot be sure you have the pcie power cables connected and your monitor cable connected to the gpu as well.