cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Titan x possible/gtx 980 TI (6GB) ? (upgrading) g20aj

Axiliox
Level 7
i was wondering or the g20aj (those desktops with small designs) are safe to upgrade to one of those 2 cards for my pc or not.

these are my specs :
ASUS G20AJ-DE028S
Intel® Core™ i7-4790 Processor 3.6GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX970 4GB
16 GB DDR3
5 REPLIES 5

edmak1804
Level 7
980 ti works BUT you need to either throttle the power usage by at least 10% or buy a 330w laptop power adapter (see other postings, they have exact model, its a Dell-Alienware)
I was under the impression the Titan is just far too large to fit inside the case.

Axiliox
Level 7
so if i buy a 980ti wich should fit in the case,i should up my power usage to 10% ?
how do i do that? through bios?

yes,probably it won't fit though and its not really needed for next few years

edmak1804
Level 7
use a program like MSI Afterburner (its a simple slider to adjust power usage) its what im doing for a few eeks till i get the higher end power adapter

Ravenholme
Level 7
I bought the reference type PNY version of the GTX 980ti, installed MSi Afterburner and lowered the Power Limit (which is connected to temperature too) to 90% max (so it will not be allowed to reach 100% power draw or higher) aka 250w. that way the system is stable and probably hovering around 230w I haven't had any issues since running Afterburner (minimize the app, never hit 'x' as it closes it, save the profile too)

I think you'd better buy a 330w laptop power adapter
Ravenholme wrote:
I bought the reference type PNY version of the GTX 980ti, installed MSi Afterburner and lowered the Power Limit (which is connected to temperature too) to 90% max (so it will not be allowed to reach 100% power draw or higher) aka 250w. that way the system is stable and probably hovering around 230w I haven't had any issues since running Afterburner (minimize the app, never hit 'x' as it closes it, save the profile too)