cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just got a G74Sx laptop, couple questions

Animoski
Level 7
First thing that happened when I got this laptop, I was simply amazed by how fast everything loaded..

Then I noticed I got a stuck pixel, or what ASUS calls a "bright pixel" and that they'll be able to do something within a 30 day period.... --- What exactly can I do about this? It's not that big of a problem and if it's not worth the hassle (like sending my laptop and having to live without a computer for a week or two) then screw it....

The next thing is, when I set in Power4Gear Hybrid to do nothing when the lid closes, I click on save, apply, etc. and it just resets itself back to hibernate.. -_-

Any help?

Thanks
9 REPLIES 9

BrodyBoy
Level 10
I don't know what they do....whether they replace the laptop or take it in and replace the display panel. I don't think I know of anyone who's used that policy. If you don't want to mess with repair, and you bought from a retailer with a liberal return policy, AND that bright pixel really bothers you, you could exchange it for another one.

Can't help with P4G....I don't use it.

dstrakele
Level 14
Here is one person's remedy for a stuck pixel: http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?5325-Asus-RMA-Question&p=38577&viewfull=1#post38577 Be very careful if you choose to try this method.

For the lid closed power setting, I would first try restoring to an earlier time. If that fails, I would uninstall P4G, reboot, and attempt to change the settings within Windows Control Panel Power Settings. You could then choose if you wish to install the later version of P4G.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Animoski
Level 7
I've tried that a couple of times already, as well as the whole color run through applications that just display all the pictures... It's only 1 pixel but I wish it would get fixed..

Also, what do you mean by restoring to an earlier time? I've also tried going into the control panel and I don't see any Power Settings.

Sorry i'm a n00b, I skipped Vista and this OS looks like foreign territory compared to XP..

Also, another question: My old laptop from like 2003 seemed to have an overall louder setting for plugin speakers/headphones.. Apparently, i've maxed out in Windows volume and every other volume possible... What gives?

dstrakele
Level 14
It looks like an RMA to use the ASUS Dead Pixel Policy is your only alternative, unless the retailer will exchange your unit.

You can use Windows 7 System Restore to restore to an eariler time, just like in XP. However, you need to have an earlier restore point on the system. If you have multiple earlier restore points, you can try one, and if it fails to resolve the issue, undo it and try another. As in XP, "Start-Help and Support" will allow you to search for articles on how to use System Restore.

"Control Panel-System and Security-Power Options" should get you to where you can change the lid close functions.

I've installed the free version of Creative THX TruStudio Pro and configured it to start in External Speakers mode. The "Built-in Speakers" setting of the original THX TruStudio (the default on boot) does have low volume and tinny sound. You can update it to remove this problem setting, but I found it returned when I updated my Realtek Audio driver. Which is why I then installed THX TruStudio Pro.

If you uninstall THX TruStudio, the Realtek HD Audio Manager will then display an equalizer in the Speakers "Enhancements" tab. You can try adjusting volume there to see if you would prefer to NOT install THX TruStudio.

Animoski
Level 7
What would you do if you were in my shoes? You seem to know more about this kind of stuff, and is a stuck pixel ever going to become a "dead pixel" ?? I've tried fixing it with no sucess and i've heard from numerous sources that if it's stuck it'll fix itself (atleast a chance of that happening.)

Thanks for helping me out with the lid close functions, it works the way I want to now!

Animoski wrote:
What would you do if you were in my shoes? You seem to know more about this kind of stuff, and is a stuck pixel ever going to become a "dead pixel" ?? I've tried fixing it with no sucess and i've heard from numerous sources that if it's stuck it'll fix itself (atleast a chance of that happening.)

AS I said in the other thread, there's a chance of that. BUt let's say you wait two months and it hasn't changed. You've passed the 30-day Bright Pixel Guarantee, and you've passed your retailer's return period. You're stuck with a condition that Asus very likely doesn't even consider defective.....so you may not even be able to do anything about it then, i.e., RMA it for repair. (That's the case with every display manufacturer I've seen. A few flawed pixels is considered normal for this technology.)

Return the laptop now, or initiate the 30-day Bright Pixel thing.

dstrakele
Level 14
It sounds like you made the best attempt to change the stuck pixel without success. I don't believe it will get any better. If your retailer will not exchange your system for a new unit, you'll need to return it to ASUS. A free LCD exchange is covered under the 30 day Zero Bright Dot LCD Warranty. See the Notebook Warranty Card that came with your system for more details.

You'll need to contact ASUS to set up the RMA for the warranty work. See http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?4783-ASUS-US-amp-Canada-RMA-Guide for details.

JRd1st
Level 12
Yes,make them fix it!
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Animoski
Level 7
So I got a very good update: Best Buy completely exchange the laptop for the same one, and so far, not a single dead or stuck pixel! Yay!

Now i've been reading around and it seems like there are a couple of updates out there that seem to improve my laptop... Now call me lazy but i'm not the smarted kid around here.. I got a G74SX-KBB8 if it helps, what updates would seem to be the upmost more important? Such as BIOS/Drivers, etc.

It also seems like the GPU is very overclockable, I was wondering if there was a way to stop the CPU from throttling at least and if there is anyway to efficiently increase the GPU performance? I read that by simply overclocking the memory bandwidth it seems that it gets the biggest boost.

EDIT: In fact, it would be swell if anyone with a G74SX knows everything about it in terms of updating it to it's fullest and somewhat overclocking it / fixing throttling could send me a PM and hopefully be able to chat for a bit on MSN/AIM or through E-mail? Thanks!!