cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G73JH CPU overheating.

Retired
Not applicable
Well I believe that it is overheating. It used to run at average 60-70.

Now it's average is 90's and sometimes dips into low 100s...

I know a lot about of computers so I am thinking it needs new thermal paste. However, taking the computer apart I would think voids the warranty and I do not want that.

Help please?
6 REPLIES 6

BrodyBoy
Level 10
How old is it? Is it still under warranty?

Retired
Not applicable
BrodyBoy wrote:
How old is it? Is it still under warranty?

I would say it is a little more than a year old. Not really sure if that means warranty is over...

fostert
Level 12
JTNKTZ wrote:
Well I believe that it is overheating. It used to run at average 60-70.

Now it's average is 90's and sometimes dips into low 100s...

I know a lot about of computers so I am thinking it needs new thermal paste. However, taking the computer apart I would think voids the warranty and I do not want that.

Help please?

These temps are under full 8-thread load, right? Yep, 90-100 is very high,unless your ambient is quite warm too? My G74 loads into the early 70's (71-72) at an ambient of 21-22C (70-72F).
I don't think a repaste voids the warranty: I'm reading the sticky thread http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?946-G73JH-GPU-Overheating-Observations-and-Suggestions-... about Chastity doing it herself, and she doesn't mention warranty invalidation...but best to double check this with ASUS.
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

Retired
Not applicable
fostert wrote:
These temps are under full 8-thread load, right? Yep, 90-100 is very high,unless your ambient is quite warm too? My G74 loads into the early 70's (71-72) at an ambient of 21-22C (70-72F).
I don't think a repaste voids the warranty: I'm reading the sticky thread http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?946-G73JH-GPU-Overheating-Observations-and-Suggestions-... about Chastity doing it herself, and she doesn't mention warranty invalidation...but best to double check this with ASUS.

Well most of the time I am running Diablo 2 (Veryyy old game) with another 2 in sandboxie. I know that sandbox uses a lot of processing power but it never used to run that hot...

Retired
Not applicable

JRd1st
Level 12
I guess you must have throttling disabled.
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com