cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG GL551JW-DS74 - Where to Install Software

NCAAwrestling
Level 7
I just bought the Asus ROG GL551JW-DS74. It has the 1 TB hard drive split into two partitions. I plan to make the hard drive one whole partition (unless there is a very good reason that you all can tell me why not). Her's my main question, Where do I install the software on the SSD drive or on the hard drive? I installed one program and it wanted to install it on the SSD drive. I don't think I want to install all my software (ie. Photoshop, Lightroom, Premiere) on the SSdrive do I? This my first experience with an SSDrive.

Thanks in advance for you time.
Paul
3 REPLIES 3

CynthiaBlack
Level 7
NCAAwrestling wrote:
I just bought the Asus ROG GL551JW-DS74. It has the 1 TB hard drive split into two partitions. I plan to make the hard drive one whole partition (unless there is a very good reason that you all can tell me why not). Her's my main question, Where do I install the software on the SSD drive or on the hard drive? I installed one program and it wanted to install it on the SSD drive. I don't think I want to install all my software (ie. Photoshop, Lightroom, Premiere) on the SSdrive do I? This my first experience with an SSDrive.

Thanks in advance for you time.
Paul

first of all, we don’t need to keep data, application and operating systems on the same partition, we can divide different partitions, like one partitions for system, another partition for music and movie, which will help us to improve the safety of the system and files. Secondly, if we keep our systems and applications on one partition which are separate from our documents, music and videos, the backup will become so easy. We only need back up the partition which we want. In addition, we'll be less likely to lose our data in an unexpected situation; and if we ever need to reformat and reinstall Windows, we won't have to worry about restoring our data backups. so it is advisable to resize partion by the third-party software such as AOMEI Backupper, hope this will hope you.

Yes you'll want to keep your OS partition small for quick images and restores when needed. Most programs you can route to another hard drive or partition some you won't be able too. If your SSD is 256 GB or larger you won't have to worry about putting your programs on a different partition.
My 256 GB SSD is showing 213 GB with 126 GB free I gave up 25 GB to Over provisioning I have MS Office Pro Plus, CS4 and other assorted programs installed. I put all the data on other partitions I find it better to have programs installed on the same partition as the OS most don't really take up much space its the DATA that takes up space that I put on another hard drive. With programs installed on different partition sometimes on restore links will get broken. But then that just me.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Black_Gun
Level 7
I use two partitions on my 256gb ssd: one with 100gb that contains the OS, the other one with 236 something gb for all the programs that I want to run quickly. For example, my version of photoshop only requires about 120mb and always took ages to load. Having it on my ssd saves me about 20 seconds each time I start it...
Accordingly, you want your games, CAD software, VLC player, LaTeX distributions and stuff like that on the ssd if you can afford it. Movies, mp3s, libraries of PDF files, images and the like can go to the hdd. And of cource you dont want to store backups and copied data on the ssd. 😉