cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chastity's vBIOS and AMD Overdrive?

octiceps
Level 7
I just successfully flashed the vBIOS on my G73JH from v.93 to Chastity's OD2, which enables lower timings for battery life and AMD Overdrive in Catalyst Control Center. (Thank you Chastity.) Only problem is my increased clocks don't go into effect unless I actually have CCC running in the background. Since CCC isn't one of my startup programs, is there anyway for me to load my clocks on startup without having to open CCC or set it as a startup item?

Also, I'm getting some really weird behavior trying to overclock my Mobility 5870. Apparently, 800/1100 seems to be a stable overclock for most people and that's what I'm trying to achieve. Anything significantly more than 800/1100 and I get a crash and subsequent "AMD Driver has stopped responding and has successfully recovered" message while running a game or benchmark. Once I get to around the 800/1100 mark, I stop getting the error message at all and benchmarks seem to run fine. However, when I play games, I either get intermittent stuttering every 10 seconds or so or freezing and black screen sporadically. I've been monitoring my temps and they're absolutely great, never above 83 C. Is it possible that my card is just a bad overclocker? 😞

BTW I'm running Catalyst 11.10, Chastity's OD2 vBIOS, and BIOS 213.
ASUS G73Jh | Intel Core i7-740QM | ATI Mobility Radeon 5870 1GB GDDR5 | 6GB Hynix DDR3-1333 | Seagate Momentus 640GB 5400 RPM HDD | HD+ 1600x900 Display | Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 | vBIOS 93 | AMD Catalyst 12.3
4 REPLIES 4

TheOriginalTO
Level 7
CCC has to be running for any of those settings to be enabled in it I believe. I bet that 83C is from furmark too huh? Try reading the GPU-Z temp reading during a benchmark etc. I bet you are at 106c + which is why you are overheating and why I also can not overclock at all.
You Heard It From - ']['he (())riginal - ']['.(()).

TheOriginalTO wrote:
CCC has to be running for any of those settings to be enabled in it I believe. I bet that 83C is from furmark too huh? Try reading the GPU-Z temp reading during a benchmark etc. I bet you are at 106c + which is why you are overheating and why I also can not overclock at all.

No, the 83 C is actually from playing Bad Company 2 and HL2: Episode 2. I don't go above 73 C in FurMark's toughest burn-in test @ stock clocks. So it's definitely not an overheating problem.

EDIT: Check out my image later in this thread. I've got a stable OC @ 825/1085 and FurMark never goes about 78 C. Yay. 🙂
ASUS G73Jh | Intel Core i7-740QM | ATI Mobility Radeon 5870 1GB GDDR5 | 6GB Hynix DDR3-1333 | Seagate Momentus 640GB 5400 RPM HDD | HD+ 1600x900 Display | Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 | vBIOS 93 | AMD Catalyst 12.3

carulli
Level 7
Download MSI Kombustor. put your core clock to 710 and leave your mem clock at 1000. run kombustor and check fullscreen, extreme burn in and the monitors native res then click gpu burn in.
While in test their should be temps in the top right corner of the furmark app that opens if not press "g", MONITOR THESE! if temps get above 100 at any time quit immediately and lower clocks (you may not even be able to overclock without over heating). Let this run for at least 10 mins, if no crash or artifacts then you can raise the core clock by 10MHz and repeat until you get a crash then lower the clock by 20MHz and this is your new core clock.
Do the same with the memory clocks start at 1010 then move up in 10MHz increments. Once you think you have a stable overclock run kombustor with extreme burn in for 1 hour monitoring temps the WHOLE time. If it passes then these clock will most likely never crash in a game.

carulli wrote:
Download MSI Kombustor. put your core clock to 710 and leave your mem clock at 1000. run kombustor and check fullscreen, extreme burn in and the monitors native res then click gpu burn in.
While in test their should be temps in the top right corner of the furmark app that opens if not press "g", MONITOR THESE! if temps get above 100 at any time quit immediately and lower clocks (you may not even be able to overclock without over heating). Let this run for at least 10 mins, if no crash or artifacts then you can raise the core clock by 10MHz and repeat until you get a crash then lower the clock by 20MHz and this is your new core clock.
Do the same with the memory clocks start at 1010 then move up in 10MHz increments. Once you think you have a stable overclock run kombustor with extreme burn in for 1 hour monitoring temps the WHOLE time. If it passes then these clock will most likely never crash in a game.

Thanks for your advice. This time I did the OC incrementally instead of jumping straight to 800/1100. I've finally got complete stability @ 825/1085. Here's a screenshot of FurMark running OC:

Amazing thing is that the temps never go above 78 C as can be seen ^^^. As far as I can tell that's awesome for a G73JH.