cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Tech support needed - Where to get G74 secondary HDD cable ?

ScottinSoCal
Level 7
Based on this message thread:
http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?5198-ASUS-G74-2nd-Hard-Drive-Caddy-and-Cable&highlight=...
I believe my laptop should have the second hard drive cable. ASUS tech support disagrees - repeatedly, for over an hour. I'm not going to waste any more time arguing the point, I'll buy the stupid thing, but they keep referring me to the ASUS estore to get it. The problem there is the ASUS estore doesn't sell this cable. I know, I called. ASUS tech support can't/won't provide me with a part number. A search on the store website shows nothing but the caddy, and I don't need the caddy. I have one. I need the cable. The estore employee (who was considerably more courteous and helpful than the tech support people) also can't find one to sell me.

Where can I get this cable? I'd obviously appreciate a response from someone associated with ASUS, but anyone who can tell me where I can get this thing would be appreciated. I bought this model so I could install an SSD. I've got the SSD, but can't hook it up.
22 REPLIES 22

JRd1st
Level 12
If Chastity woild deign to read a pm from a regular customer she may be able to help you.
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

BrodyBoy
Level 10
To make sure you get everything you need, Scott, be aware that it's not just a cable. There's also a connector/PCB needed for that second drive. It sounds like you need that whole assembly, plus cable.

BrodyBoy wrote:
To make sure you get everything you need, Scott, be aware that it's not just a cable. There's also a connector/PCB needed for that second drive. It sounds like you need that whole assembly, plus cable.

The connector for the ribbon cable is right there and there's no room for a PCB - unless you're referring to the end of the cable where the SATA plug connects to the HD?

The first hard drive connects to an integrated connector. The second hard drive requires a little adapter. I'll take a couple photos and post....

Here you go...this is the cable and connector removed together:

please tell me where I can buy this? I am in great problem because I am stucked with only 256 GB ssd unless I spend around $300 for SSD (in my country)
please help
BrodyBoy wrote:
The first hard drive connects to an integrated connector. The second hard drive requires a little adapter. I'll take a couple photos and post....

Here you go...this is the cable and connector removed together:

Prajwol148 wrote:
please tell me where I can buy this? I am in great problem because I am stucked with only 256 GB ssd unless I spend around $300 for SSD (in my country)
please help

You can usually find one on ebay for about $90 US. I bought one of the DVD tray adapters that holds a 2nd hard drive and it was only about $10. It might not be quite as fast but $90 is too much to spend on this sluggish old dog of a computer.

ScottinSoCal
Level 7
Excellent, thanks much.

BrodyBoy
Level 10
I just pulled back the tape and found the product sticker: It's this exact board, with this part number.

And here's the cable, which is sold as a separate part.

Looks like this has been a while, but you fared a bunch better than I did. After three volleys between two separate support numbers, I was told today that "that item is not sold to the end user" and that to get my second HD installed I would have to send my machine in for service! No joy on the open market, either. On ebay there's an Austrailian store that doesn't seem to have any trouble getting "part no. 60-N56HD1000-D02", but the shipping, OUCH! Has anybody else found a simpler solution in the invervening months?