Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 LastLast
    ROG Guru: Green Belt Array Dreamonic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Javier Linares View Post
    Guys,

Thank you for your support to this thread, I can Mod my BIOS but it seems still looked at 78C°, my PC still throttling at this temp. I read the previous post regarding UEFI and Legacy, I thought that could be this matter but I check "msinfo" and confirm thar my system is in UEFI, so, it can't be. Do you have som ideas, I tryed with MSI afterburner, EGVR presision, Nvidia inspector, in all of these app I can move the sliders, in te the to 89°C but in fact my PC start throttjes at 78°C whatever I do. Please help my, I really need to OC this PC because I have lower FPS and it's very anyoing
    Try running DDU and do a clean install of your display drivers first, as it may correct this since the slider IS available up to 89°C (meaning the flash was successful). Also confirm in GPU-Z that the VBIOS version string is the same as the one you downloaded from us (you can use KBT/MBT as described in the VBIOS Mods guide). If it's another version that's showing up, then we'll need to locate and modify that VBIOS as well for you.

Quote Originally Posted by koreko View Post
    i was wondering if you guys could help me unlock my temp and even ocing my asus gl551jm 860m maxwell, its locked to 82 :C i want at least 85,that would be great!

Laptop Model: Asus gl551jm 860m variant maxwell 2gb
    Current Installed BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. G551JM.205, 2/13/2015

Latest BIOS link : http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/G551...1486325095

Latest BIOS version is the same i have installed.
    You bet.

We would need a GPU-Z log with about 5mins gameplay first, to get an idea where your clocks, voltage and temps are at during load off/on. You can PM me or Compwxr the GPU-Z log, and we'll go from there.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Dreamonic; 02-14-2017 at 09:56 AM.

New ROGer Array

Exclamation Summarizing

Hello all,
    First of all thank you guys Dreamonic and compwxr for the inmense amount of time and effort you guys put to help the comunity.

I have a couple of questions.

I have a ASUS ROG GL551JW GTX 960m (2GB), i gess its the same as G551JW because i already did everything in your guide and it works very well.

So what now? xD

I did raise the cap of the throtling to 89 degrees, and it seems it helped a lot, this is HUGE but what else can i do?
    I was reeading that undervolting would be a nice thing to do also, but i cant seem to find how to do it (MSI AB or nVidia Inspector), also i didnt understood if you guys already fixed this issue on the modified vBios or just unlocked it so we can do it ourself. So what exactly should i do?

Also on the overcloaking, im not sure how much should i raise and in what proportion with mem clock?

I know you guys have said that we should test this parameters and see if there is any instability, but to be honest i wouldnt recognize instability since i consider the games that give me low fps (because of the throtling) instability already and woulndt know if more of that would be because changes or lack of.

I also downloaded the NoteBook Fan Controler, and im planing to order the OPOLAR Laptop Fan Cooler thingy that someone mentioned allowed him to play Overwatch on ultra with 90+ FPS

This are my numbers atm
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MSI AB and NVDIAINSP.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	313.4 KB 
ID:	62609

Name:	GPU Z SCREEN.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	62610

Would apriciate any sugestions

Thank you in advance

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array Dreamonic's Avatar

Hey Arkit0,

We scaled voltage for the additional boost states up to 1168mV, as we even set 1306Mhz for final boost state as this was stable at even 1137mV. It may show 1176Mhz in GPU-Z, but it boosts to 1306Mhz if temps are under the target limit. To cover a broader range of 960M GPUs, we opted for 1168mV, which is a slight undervolt from stock already (1193mV). This means you might be able to go even lower in voltage and still be stable at 1306Mhz (you'll have to test this). Different 960M ROG Notebook models run even lower voltage at around 1075mV. So we keep this in mind as well and opt for 1093mV for those.

What is your current GPU temperature at load BTW? Usually, you want to run tests using the stock VBIOS first, to see where you're at regarding voltage, temps, clocks, etc. A GPU-Z log is recommended while you're playing a game for around 5mins. As this is more than enough data for us to use.

Definitely try with NVInspector while running a game or benchmark, to undervolt, watch your OSD (on-screen display) monitors, and see if your driver crashes at the undervolt you defined. Here is where you'll need to fine tune it. You can undervolt farther of course, but then you'll also have to decrease your core/boost clock to keep it stable; If lowering voltage even a small amount causes instability for you in games/benchmarks at the core/boost clock you're at, then there likely isn't any more room to wiggle here; Instability being driver crashing (resetting), display driver errors, games crashing when they weren't before (only change being the overclock), artifacts, etc.

I recommend reading the Core/Boost Clock, Memory Clock and Voltage bits here, as It's worth a read if you have the time. My guide on GPU overclocking and what to expect even for artifacts is included. That should hopefully answer your question regarding where to start and what to expect.

Appreciate the thanks

New ROGer Array

Hello guys! First of all I want to thank you for the modified VBIOS and the installation guide. Now I can OC from NVIDIA Inspector but I dont know the best configuration. Can you help me, please? I got the Asus ROG G551JW with the 4GB GPU
    Last edited by Radu04; 03-19-2017 at 09:37 AM.

New ROGer Array

Hello - N551jw

Hello guys. Browsing the thread and appreciating your work.

I have the N551jw with the Gtx 960m. (i've been told that it's basically the same laptop as G551jw but in a different color?). Anyway, I have a couple questions:

1. I installed the 209 BIOS for my laptop and the temp threshold raised to 79C. This has improved the performance for quite a bit, but sometimes it still throttles. I've been playing Borderlands 2(full HD, all high, post-processing off) and it throttles a bit (down to 850 MHz). Is this temp normal or should i get the fans cleaned and repaste the gpu/cpu?

2. I want to install the mod you made and raise the temp to 82-84 but, can I do it even if my model is N551jw? All the guides out there only mention the G-models so Im not sure.

Again, I really appreciate your work.
    Last edited by arkai93; 04-24-2017 at 05:49 PM.

New ROGer Array

Hello

Hello, i recently experienced problems with throttling on my N551JW ( 960m geforce GPU).
    I cleaned the laptop from any dust that it had( opened the fan and blew the dust with compressed air). Now the fans work good but still it keeps throttling and makes my card run at 600MHZ while gaming ( instead of the 1097MHZ).
    I was looking around on forums and customer supports noone is willing or could help me.
    I am running the 202 BIOS version. I saw that there is a 209 version of BIOS on the Asus support site for my model of laptop. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if upgrading the bios is risky and if so whats the recommended way to do it( a guide if its possible) and if it is going to solve this throttling problem.
    Cheers
    Alex

New ROGer Array

Asus rog g551jw trouble with vbios

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamonic View Post
    Try running DDU and do a clean install of your display drivers first, as it may correct this since the slider IS available up to 89°C (meaning the flash was successful). Also confirm in GPU-Z that the VBIOS version string is the same as the one you downloaded from us (you can use KBT/MBT as described in the VBIOS Mods guide). If it's another version that's showing up, then we'll need to locate and modify that VBIOS as well for you.

You bet.

We would need a GPU-Z log with about 5mins gameplay first, to get an idea where your clocks, voltage and temps are at during load off/on. You can PM me or Compwxr the GPU-Z log, and we'll go from there.

Thanks.

Name:	problem.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	65828
    i have another version of vbios, and now i ask you , what i need to do with it or you will change vbios for my version ?

ROG Junior Member Array

Modded VBIOS for G551JW

Hello guys! I have g551jw with 4gb videocard and .209 BIOS. Almost year ago i installed modded vbios as it was shown here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWhMrCuwP4&t=13s for my laptop it was great and all worked fine. This mod was like manna from heaven (I'm really thankful to those who made this mode and tutorial video). Later I took my laptop to service centre to change thermal paste because i was afraid to do something wrong but additionally they made some system diagnosis and soon i realised that max temp of GPU was 78C as it was on official BIOS and all scrolls in MSI Afterburner are blocked. Somehow they brought bios back to .209 official. Now Only EVGA Precision helps me to overclock my laptop to max+135mhz gpu and +35mhz mem. But i want to unlock this temperature limit also as 78C are not enough for comfortable playing. I could do this again but unfortunately voltground is closed now.
    And I wanted to ask you, maybe someone of you could send me his modded vbios please! hope this forum isn't dead

Thanks in advance,
    navigat0r

ROG Junior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by navigat0r View Post
    Hello guys! I have g551jw with 4gb videocard and .209 BIOS. Almost year ago i installed modded vbios as it was shown here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWhMrCuwP4&t=13s for my laptop it was great and all worked fine. This mod was like manna from heaven (I'm really thankful to those who made this mode and tutorial video). Later I took my laptop to service centre to change thermal paste because i was afraid to do something wrong but additionally they made some system diagnosis and soon i realised that max temp of GPU was 78C as it was on official BIOS and all scrolls in MSI Afterburner are blocked. Somehow they brought bios back to .209 official. Now Only EVGA Precision helps me to overclock my laptop to max+135mhz gpu and +35mhz mem. But i want to unlock this temperature limit also as 78C are not enough for comfortable playing. I could do this again but unfortunately voltground is closed now.
    And I wanted to ask you, maybe someone of you could send me his modded vbios please! hope this forum isn't dead

Thanks in advance,
    navigat0r
    would you also need the modded bios, can anyone pass it to me politely?
    thanks in advance and sorry for my bad english

ROG Guru: White Belt Array ZIXEL PC Specs
    ZIXEL PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G551jw
    Motherboardg551 HM86 chipset
    Processori7 4720HQ
    Memory (part number)2133 , 16gb g.skill ripjaws ddr3
    Graphics Card #1Intel HD Graphics 4600
    Graphics Card #2Nvidia 960m 4gb OC
    Sound CardRealtek ALC668
    MonitorViewsonic XG2701 144hz
    Storage #11TB , 7200
    Storage #2MydigitalSSD 128gb msta mini
    Keyboard Corsair k63 wireless
    Mouse Zowie mico
    Headset Hyperx stinger
    Mouse Pad Logitech g640 cloud9 edition
    OS Win8.1/Win10/Parrot os dual boot

Quote Originally Posted by navigat0r View Post

Thanks in advance,
    navigat0r
    Hi bro i dont recommend you use MSI afterburner because is unstable garbage also i dont recommend use asus gpu tweak 2 very unstable software in this case just work great with stock manufacturer drivers for win 8.1 nvdia 347 or for windows 10 359 , both very old drivers , if u wanna see your flashed moded bios , use nvidia inspector , i have same laptop i tried many utilities and that is my conclusion
    GG WP

I can recommend >>> http://voltground.com

I just play StarCraft II

Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 LastLast