Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

G551 thermal design is not so bad, all in all.
    If you go for G551jm you will get GTX860M with 4Gb DDR5 and GTX860M is same as GTX960M. Just same chip, Maxwell 1-st gen.
    Difference is in thermal limit - 93C or so for 860 and 74 for 960. Thus - 860M can deliver speed of about 5000 3DMarks in Fire Strike, and 960 - now 4800 is a really fast.
    Buy a notebook with GTX860M.
    G551JW, GTX960M 1400Mhz/1500Mhz/-86mV
    FurMark: 2827 - http://www.ozone3d.net/gpudb/score.php?which=151599
    3DMark: 4807 - (Fire Strike) http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5402573

New ROGer Array

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Piro View Post
    G551 thermal design is not so bad, all in all.
    If you go for G551jm you will get GTX860M with 4Gb DDR5 and GTX860M is same as GTX960M. Just same chip, Maxwell 1-st gen.
    Difference is in thermal limit - 93C or so for 860 and 74 for 960. Thus - 860M can deliver speed of about 5000 3DMarks in Fire Strike, and 960 - now 4800 is a really fast.
    Buy a notebook with GTX860M.
    Thanks for the reply

Im very upset hear this case from asus rog but for my budget i think this is the best option compare with lenovo y50 msi ge60 or acer v nitro black edition...

New ROGer Array

Will asus release something to make it better? or it can't be fixed this way

ROG Member Array

We can hope for a new Bios (or vbios, I am not so sure) update. There are some reports that ASUS did give a beta Bios to one of the G551JW's owners after he had contacted Asus support.

Meanwhile I visit Asus support page all days. They will have to do this soon because this topic shows up on Google for G551JW query. Potential customers will definitely be aware of this issue, thus creates a bigger problem for Asus.

New ROGer Array

I got my G551JW about a month ago and i've also noticed this problem. So far I couldn't find a proper fix, the only thing that does help is setting the fan speed to 100 % whilst playing games. It still thermal throttles but far less frequently. In order to do that you need to download Notebook fan control and set your config to Asus Zenbook UX31A.
    I've sent ASUS a complaint with a link to this thread and hopefully they will figure out a way to fix this issue.
    Will keep you guys up to date if they reply.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by radosm View Post
    I got my G551JW about a month ago and i've also noticed this problem. So far I couldn't find a proper fix, the only thing that does help is setting the fan speed to 100 % whilst playing games. It still thermal throttles but far less frequently. In order to do that you need to download Notebook fan control and set your config to Asus Zenbook UX31A.
    I've sent ASUS a complaint with a link to this thread and hopefully they will figure out a way to fix this issue.
    Will keep you guys up to date if they reply.
    Really appreciate your efforts! I am looking forward to seeing some answers from Asus.

New ROGer Array

Asus replied to my complaint.
    Here is my complaint : "The G551JW has a GTX 960m. Once the GTX 960m reaches 74 degrees celsius it
    starts to thermal throttle. This is a problem seeing as most modern games make the
    graphics card reach that temperature even on medium or low setting. I noticed this
    problem when I played GTA V ,The Witcher 3 : Wild hunt , and Battlefield 4 in some
    cases (When I increase the graphics and there are a lot of explosions etc... .I'm not
    the only one having this issue , I've checked the forums and found this :
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...hrottle-at-74-
    degree-celsius

Is there going to be any BIOS update that will allow the GPU to run hotter by just a bit
    so that it potentially does not thermal throttle or am I basically stuck having to deal
    with this issue ?"

And their reply : "Dear customer

Thank you for contacting ASUS technical support!

No, in current state it's impossible to pass by thermall throttling at that level. The only way is to provide a better cooling for your device (e.g. cooling pads).
    You can also wait for bios update regarding thermal policy, but we have no date given, when it'll be updated.

Best Regards,

Paweł Rogowski
    Technical Support Engineer "

ROG Member Array

Unfortunately I got similar answers from two customer services reps from different countries.

New ROGer Array

Well, if they don't fix it I'm screwed. I can't return the laptop and all modern games will thermal throttle.

But GTX 860M is the same to GTX960M and has no such throttle at 74C and reaches higher temps and... it's ok, because it's named GTX 860M.

Asus Logic - new definition of logic.
    G551JW, GTX960M 1400Mhz/1500Mhz/-86mV
    FurMark: 2827 - http://www.ozone3d.net/gpudb/score.php?which=151599
    3DMark: 4807 - (Fire Strike) http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5402573

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast