Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ROG Enthusiast Array

same problem

Hey guys,

so, i check it with a K53SJ (i3-2310m). I installed a HDD-Caddy from ebay with the original 320GB Seagate HDD. On the original HDD place, i installed a samsung 830 - 64GB SDD. So, this is working fine for me. I check hibernate, shutdown, restart. All the things are no problem! I use the Bios Version 315 this is the newest for the K53SJ.
    In a few days, i get a new Laptop with more speed, the K53SV (i5-2410m). I will check my ODD caddy with the 640GB Western Digital HDD in the new K53SV. I hope this hdd will work also in my ODD. I coldn't reproduce your problems with the additional ODD-HDD. We will see in a few days.

Greets
    Last edited by Guest; 07-29-2012 at 09:39 AM.

New ROGer Array

Please how can I downgrade BIOS? Thanks

New ROGer Array

I had exactly the same problem with my A53SV/K53SV. I bought the caddy on ebay here, same model here.
    Notice in the pictures that there's a little switch next to the SATA connector inside the caddy. The description says that it is for "incompatible devices", nothing more, there came no manual with it...
    I didn't even notice the switch, i bought the caddy more or less accidentally.
    Afterwards i realized that most of the caddys on the internet do not have this switch.

Before trying it, i updated my BIOS from (the latest official v320) to the (unreleased, leaked) v324 without any success. Only then i discovered the switch, flipped it and.....it worked! Shut down, restart, hibernate! Until today I couldn't find out what that thing actually does. But it works for my notebook.
    Anyone else, who can verify it??
    Good luck trying it!

New ROGer Array

I foung something info about Pin 1 - Device Present (DP). In caddy without switch is connected to GND via 0 ohm resistor. In SATA datasheet is write this:

DP – Device Present – Active low signal indicating device connect to the host. The device shall connect
    the DP pin to ground with a resistance of 1K ohms and a maximum tolerance of +- 10% ohms. This
    signal is not supported in a cabled environment. If a cabled connection is used and the cable is held in
    a fixed position, the cable must follow backplane requirements. Host connection to the DP pin is
    optional. If un-used, no connection is allowed. If the host requires the use of the DP function, the
    maximum current it shall source is 4mA and the minimum is 0 mA.
    So could someone (who own caddy with switch) measure resistance between Pin1 and Pin 6 (GND) in both switch positions?

Thank you guys

New ROGer Array

Is this resolved?

Anyone else have any recent feedback about this issue?

I have the same laptop (Model:A53S/MB:K53SV), and I'm thinking of buying the same HDD caddy for an SDD. But the nature of this thread worries me. I have latest BIOS (320) installed.

Should I do this?

ROG Member Array

I have the same issue...exactly as described...any options???...I have BIOS 306
    my caddy did not have the switch...

I did notice however..If I try to restart...the computer did hang, but after about 5 minutes....it did reboot...no such luck on trying to put it to sleep.

-M

New ROGer Array

Look here http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-b...-shutdown.html

I just put a thin piece of tape on third pin in sata plug and it seems like problem is gone.
    Last edited by adiq_ambro; 12-23-2012 at 12:33 AM.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by adiq_ambro View Post
    Look here http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-b...-shutdown.html

I just put a thin piece of tape on third pin in sata plug and it seems like problem is gone.
    Amazing!! Thanks adiq!!! It worked perfect! Upgraded to 320 and put tape on pin 3....problem gone.

-M
    -

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2