ROG Member Array

N56VZ full load voltage issue

Hi guys,
    i just got this new notebook, and I noticed the following: when the CPU turbo boost kicks off, frequency goes all the way up to 3,2ghz (and that's normal), and voltage raises to 1,24 volt!!

1,24volt for a i7-3630qm looks A LOT to me. This is a 4.5ghz voltage, not a 3.2 one. And of course CPU gets very hot (96C with prime, 88-92 while playing Skyrim or other heavy stuff).

This happens with every bios I tried: 211, 212, 215.

My workaround was to set the max cpu multiplier to 30x with ThrotteStop. This prevents the motherboard to push so much volts in, with the VID topping at 1,16v @ full load. But still, as I said, this is just a workaround.

I tried to contact ASUS here in Italy, but operator only proved his incapacity. In fact, he didn't even know what I was talking about.

That being said, what can I do? I'm concerned for the temperatures. Replacing the thermal compound shouldn't be necessary, since the cause of the issue I believe is VID related (indeed, GPU temp max out at 69/70°, and it's overclocked).

Thanks in advance for any help!

No Longer Works at ASUS Array

Since you're in Italy, there's not a lot I can do to help you unfortunately, except to say that it sounds like you should send it in for an RMA.

New ROGer Array

Could you contact ASUS locate TSD in Italy, If no, Please let me know.

ROG Member Array

thx for your help. i decided to return the notebook. hopefully the next one will work as intended.
    i'll let you know!

Helium Chilled Array _ PC Specs
    _ PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G46VW
    MotherboardRampage IV Gene
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-3930K
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (CMD32GX3M4A2133C9)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Matrix GTX 780 Ti
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX III
    MonitorASUS VG248QE with GSync mod
    Storage #1Plextor PX-M2 SSD 120GB
    Storage #2G.Skill Phoenix Blade 480GB PCIe SSD
    CPU CoolerCooler Master Seidon 240M
    CaseCooler Master HAF-X
    Power SupplySeasonic X-750
    Keyboard Corsair K90
    Mouse ROG Gladius
    Headset ROG Orion
    OS Windows 8.1 Update 1
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U

1.24V is a little high but not abnormal at 3.2GHz for a 4C/8T, and if you could OC it would scale easily like you say to 4+ on 'stock' voltages as many do. 90C is below the max temp of over 100C according to Intel and your CPU could simply be a little leakier than the average, which means it gets a bit hotter. It's not ideal, but your system is not unstable either. Are the fans kicking up noticeably with plenty of hot air out the vent?

New ROGer Array

good info to me, i decided to return the notebook. hopefully the next one will work as intended.thank you