cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about initial start up

LimeyorYank
Level 7
Hello all!

I just bought a ASUS G74 Series G74SX-BBK7 on newegg yesterday and am very excited!!

I know when I first get it to make some recovery disks, but should I do a complete format and start from scratch to remove the bloatware? Or is this not necessary? Also I had read that certain bloatware is important, while others are not. (something about a piece of software that deals with overclocking?)

Anyway, just wanted to check in and see what everyone advises on first steps with a new G74!

Thanks so much, really excited!

LimeyorYank
24 REPLIES 24

irdmoose
Level 10
You could do a clean install of the OS from retail media if you felt the itch to, but it's not necessary. You can simply uninstall the unnecessary applications and keep on going. The recovery media set that you create will still have the bloatware on it.

JRd1st
Level 12
No, you don't have to do a clean install, but then you won't have that experience under your belt and you will always wonder what your notebook would be like squeeky clean. 😄
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Ha exactly! Something will go wrong a few weeks later after it arrives, and I"ll go "meh..should of done a clean install!!"

So just to clarify: The recovery discs will have all the Asus bloatware thats needed? Or will I have to go to the website and download the specific programs?

LimeyorYank wrote:
So just to clarify: The recovery discs will have all the Asus bloatware thats needed? Or will I have to go to the website and download the specific programs?

As JR said, "bloatware" ...by definition....is not needed. It's the crappy, redundant, unnecessary software utilities that manufacturers pile on so they can have lots of bullet points in their marketing and flashy crap popping up on the screen to impress the unknowing.

But just to clarify: There will be a 25Gb recovery partition on your 1st hard drive, called "System Reserved." It consists of an image (a special kind of compressed copy) of the original factory installation and an autorun program to restore that image any time you want to. As long as that partition is present and uncorrupted, you can restore your computer to its exact out-of-the-box condition. If you choose to make a set of recovery disks, they constitute an external backup of that recovery partition, so even if you delete the partition on your drive, you'll always have a copy of the original installation.

Again, the recovery partition and the recovery disks are exact back-ups of the original Asus installation.....all the drivers, all the bloatware, etc., that Asus put on it before it shipped.

JRd1st
Level 12
The whole idea is that the bloatware ISN'T needed. But you can get it on the web. I didn't bother with recovery diskc because I never wanted to recover to a bloated condition. lol

Most of what you'll need is in this post - http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?5224-New-Drivers&p=38072&viewfull=1#post38072
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Ok, so do a clean install and then follow those down for updates to drivers etc.

Thanks for the help!

dstrakele
Level 14
Here's a thread that describes the various ASUS Bloatware apps and their importance to the system: http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/380681-asus-utility-bloatware-guide.html. You can review them and see if there's anything you're interested in before the clean Windows install and give 'em a try.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

LimeyorYank
Level 7
Thanks for the quick replies guys, its appreciated. Just want to make sure I'm good to go on delivery day!

Another quick question: When I first get the laptop is it advisable to update the BIOS before making the recovery discs? Or do the discs, then do a clean install THEN update the BIOS?

Also with the clean install, how do you do that exactly? Is there an option with windows 7 to do that? Or is it a matter of just putting in the recovery discs?

Also the G74 I'm getting has 8gigs of ram, would you recommend bumping this up to 16 gigs, and replacing that right away? If so, which ram would you recommend?

Sorry for the noobish questions, I just want to make sure I do this right.

Thanks again