cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too many Processes

Retired
Not applicable
First off i'd like to start and say hello all and thank you in advance. I just recently (like 2 days ago) got a G74-Sx 3d laptop and all i can say is wow. It looks great, and so far works great too. My only concern is i am currently at 81 processes and am looking to bring that number way down. Is there a site or forum that can help me lower that number down or should i just google each process to see if i want/need them? I havent done a clean install yet but i have downloaded all the drivers from the sticky thread and have unistalled most programs i dont like/want. If needed i will/can do a clean install of windows as well as i also downloaded it from the sticky. Thank you in advance again for any advice you all may have.
P.S. i have read about 20 pages so far and this seems like a really helpful community and i'm glad i went the Asus route. 😉
7 REPLIES 7

BrodyBoy
Level 10
I wouldn't consider 81 processes a "concern," or a problem that needs solving. But if, for whatever reason, you want that number to be smaller, a good place to start would be to uninstall all the Asus bloatware, and any auto-update services that start with Windows and run in the background.

If you really want the leanest possible installation, you should do a clean install and limit drivers to only those that are needed, and only install programs that are really important to you. I imagine that would minimize the processes. But again, it seems kind of arbitrary to pick a number that you want to minimize, and limit your computer to meet that goal. You already said it's "wow." That's a pretty good metric, no? 😉

MPerni
Level 7
I got now, with some programs runing by myself, 110 aplications and just using 15% of physical memory, i also unistalled most of asus programs. But for me it´s running very smooth, many of the applications are from things i have installed!! But the best option would be what Brody said, make a fresh install and you will get less aplication. But eventually, i think so, you will get that number again or more.

Looking for some tutorial "tweaks in Windows 7", surely you'd find in any forum on overclocking. The tweaks always improves the system in a good %.

JRd1st
Level 12
Look for Black Viper's tweaks in my Drivers, etc sticky
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

WhirledNews
Level 7
This is exactly why I did a clean install of Windows, ahhh so fresh and so clean clean.
G74SX
-Intel X25-M 80 GB Mainstream SATA II SSD
-Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300

fostert
Level 12
I personally consider >80 processes as excessive, especially since it can quickly get out of hand from there (pretty much anything you install these days wants to be started at boot and become a TSR...). So do the hardwarecanucks
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/45811-asus-g74sx-a1-gaming-notebook-re...

After formatted and reinstalled windows and put only the drivers on there I wanted, I was down to 35 processes, and well under 1GB memory used. Thats the way it should be 😉
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

Retired
Not applicable
i want to thank you all for your time and advice. I will try some of the things suggested here and see how it goes. Ultimately though the system is running great and i am very happy with it. This is a very helpful community, thanks again.