cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage III Extreme Memory Reading

Retired
Not applicable
So i just Got this Motherboard, i love it, athestics to the over all power... But one issue. I bought 3 matching Dominator GT modules 1866Mhz with 8-9-8-24 timings. Worked fine for a few days ALL 6Gb posted, but now only 4gb posts, i bought different type of memory, supported ones on the Certified Memory List. But it still does the same thing. I updated the bios, still the same. I am running my i7 930 at @ 4ghz at 1.24 V. Could i have damaged the Memory Controller on the CPU? or is it the motherboard that is faulty? please help me.
11 REPLIES 11

ottoyu34
Level 9
Hey Fatal, Welcome to the forums! It sounds like something do with the memories or memory slot at first. But not to forget, if you raise your VTT(Uncore) voltage too high it might also damage your memory and Uncore. I would suggest you try to switch around the three sticks of memory, to see if you can find there is a faulty stick. Second, you use the other three slot pairs (ie. from A1,B1,C1 to slot A2,B2,C3) and see if the slots are faulty. let me know your finding, good luck.

Retired
Not applicable
Well I found out the issue, B1 slot was dead, 😞 i thought the memory had the problem now im gunna have to pay that 15% restocking fee for my reseller, oh boy. Thanks for the welcome 🙂 glad to see lots of support from ROG.

There's a few things to check before you send your parts off to RMA land.

I've have various circumstaces where all the ram doesn't show.

Is the ram missing at stock settings?

If it all shows at stock, then you may just have a settings problem.

If it's still missing, I would suggest removing the CPU and check the socket for bent pins.
If the socket looks fine, replace the CPU and try booting again. Sometimes it's just a matter of bad contact in the socket.

Let us know how things go.
i7-980X | EVGA 762 Classified | 6GB Dom GT 2000C7 | GTX580 SLI

i7-2600K | Asus MIVE-Z68 | 4GB Dom GT 2000C8 | GTX580 Martix

69_Goat's HWBOT Profile

Retired
Not applicable
bro, believe it or not. Before i bought new memory i actually tried 1 Stick at a time, and 1 failed so i thought it was the memory. now all 3 posted so i was just confused... i dont know if its just terrible luck or what, i hope all those rebates will pay for the restocking fee. lol, anyways what do u mean if its missing at stock settings?

Fatal05 wrote:
Well I found out the issue, B1 slot was dead, 😞 i thought the memory had the problem now im gunna have to pay that 15% restocking fee for my reseller, oh boy. Thanks for the welcome 🙂 glad to see lots of support from ROG.

Glad that it's solved quickly. hopefully the rig will be up in a bit and you can show it here.

Retired
Not applicable
The Motherboard is definitely the problem, and really, i couldn't test the memory on another computer cause this was my first REAL computer, i used crappy dells before i got into the computer world. (insert hate message here ). But now that i already bought dominator memory i might as well just return the GT since i dont really need to be running my memory at 2000 mhz, 1600 is good enough for me. As well i will be posting up some pics of my build in a few weeks, since i bought the Rampage III Extreme, H70, Gtx460 Hawk, which is still shipping.

Fatal05 wrote:
The Motherboard is definitely the problem, and really, i couldn't test the memory on another computer cause this was my first REAL computer, i used crappy dells before i got into the computer world. (insert hate message here ). But now that i already bought dominator memory i might as well just return the GT since i dont really need to be running my memory at 2000 mhz, 1600 is good enough for me. As well i will be posting up some pics of my build in a few weeks, since i bought the Rampage III Extreme, H70, Gtx460 Hawk, which is still shipping.

Congraz. on your first REAL computer, so you previous PC is a dell? you seems to have done your homework and it's done well.

69_Goat
Level 7
Fatal05 wrote:
Worked fine for a few days ALL 6Gb posted, but now only 4gb posts.

How are you determining this?
i7-980X | EVGA 762 Classified | 6GB Dom GT 2000C7 | GTX580 SLI

i7-2600K | Asus MIVE-Z68 | 4GB Dom GT 2000C8 | GTX580 Martix

69_Goat's HWBOT Profile

Retired
Not applicable
Im just giving these facts based on CoreTemp, Windows and CPU-Z