cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone have probems in a few games on the Crosshair III Formula?

Retired
Not applicable
I have a Crosshair III Formula running with an AMD Phenom II x4 955 running @ 3.8Ghz along with 8gb of DDR3 RAM and a GTX280 videocard (actually I have also been experimenting with dual GTX280s running SLI with a hack that is available).

The issues I am running into is that in certain games, such as Metro 2033, it will hard crash the game without any indication of why. Running Win7 x64 as an OS, all the latest drivers, etc, etc...

I have tried a reinstall of the game from scratch. I also have tried running it not overclocked as well.

One of the wierd things I have noticed is some text not displaying properly in the game in the configuration menus.

There are a couple other games that have issues as well (same symptoms, just a hard crash of the app), but this is the only one that comes to mind right now.
5 REPLIES 5

ottoyu34
Level 9
It would be nice if you could list out the rest of the specs of the PC.
So, I take it as you have tried running games with CPU overclocked and stock, the issue still exists.
One quick way, I used to do is the install a fresh OS on another HDD (If you have another drive laying around).
That would quick tell us if it's a hardware or software problem.
Else, you could try running memtest86 to test the memory, furmark to stress test the gpu & LinX for the CPU,etc.
Also, hardware not getting enough power would also have this indication.

Retired
Not applicable
Sorry, system tests out perfect with all different diagnostics, so memory, motherboard, video cards, etc are all fine...

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955
Memory: 8gb Patriot 1666 DDR3 ram
Hard Drives: Dual WD Caviar Blue 500gb in RAID0 array
Video Cards: XFX GTX280/eVGA GTX280
Powersupply: Corsair TX950

Plenty of power and liek I said everything unit tests an system tests without issues.

All of the same software runs just fine on my Rampage III Extreme setup with an i7 920 @ 4Ghz, 12gb of Corsair XMS3 1666 ram and dual GTX480s in SLI.

I will see if there are any other newer AMD updates I am missing, but I doubt it, I am pretty thorough on updates. I do know Windows 7 is fully updated.

Like I said, outside of a few games, the system runs awesome.

Retired
Not applicable
does it crash in single card mode as well? if you are in SLI, it could POSSIBLY but highly doubt the mix of 2 different cards, only because they could be using different BIOS'

Retired
Not applicable
Brian@ASUS wrote:
does it crash in single card mode as well? if you are in SLI, it could POSSIBLY but highly doubt the mix of 2 different cards, only because they could be using different BIOS'

Yeah, it does crash with either a single or dual card setup. I do understand SLI on this motherboard is a hack, but that does not seem to affect it, as I totally reinstalled the entire system from scratch, with only 1 card, no hack ever on the system, and the crashes are still in the same place.

The crashes are very consistent, at the same place in the game(s).

I am quite grateful that Starcraft II is not one of them that crashes.

Mason
Level 10
you didn't mention if you've tried disabling the OC (running system at stock settings) just to see if you can still duplicate the problem. there should be some log of what error is thrown or what is causing the game to crash. check your windows reliability history and the event viewer and let us know if there are any errors, warnings, flags that might give us more information about the root cause.