cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Built Computer Came Without Crossfire Bridge Interconnect Cable

Retired
Not applicable
Hi All,

I had a friend build a custom machine for me about 1 1/2 years ago. I bought the parts and he put everything together for me. I don't really have enough knowledge to do it myself but I am fairly proficient when it comes to dealing with computers. For example, I know how to open up the machine and replace memory.

Anyways, I was upgrading the drivers for my 2 video cards, Ati Radeon HD 5850's. Once it was done, I was in the control panel for the driver and noticed that the CrossFireX was disabled. At the bottom of the panel, it stated:

The AMD CrossFireX internal bridge interconnects linking your graphics cards together are not properly attached. Both bridge interconnects must be attached. For more information, see the user's guide for your graphics card.

Unfortunately, I don't have the guide for the graphic's card. I opened up the machine and started looking at the video cards. To me everything looked connected. However, I googled the message that the control panel above gave me and I came across the manual for the video cards. I went to the CrossFireX installation page and saw where the bridge interconnect should be placed and what it looks like. I noticed that I don't have that item.

My question is, do I need to buy one or two of the interconnect bridges for my video cards? I only have two Ati Radeon HD 5850's.

Also, once I purchase the interconnect bridge, is it as easy as just pushing the bridge connector onto the spots on both video cards?

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm looking forward to playing Skyrim and I wanted my computer to be able to handle the game at Ultra.

Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4

xeromist
The interconnect is usually supplied with the motherboard. If you still have the boxes you might look for it in there. Otherwise, yes you should be able to find a bridge/interconnect on Ebay or at a supplier like Newegg. It is as easy as just pushing the connectors on (with the power off!). You would only need one of them. I think you only have one connector on each card anyway but if you happen to have more than one connector then it is provided so you can connect more than two cards by chaining them together.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
Thanks so much for your response. Unfortunately, I don't have the boxes anymore so I don't have the connector. I guess I'll have to buy one.

As for connecting it, what does the connection on the board usually look like? Can you provide a picture? I think I know what it looks like but it doesn't look much like a connection point. There's two slotted grooves on the edge of the board where it seems something can connect there.

Spoony
Level 7
an graphics card these days wil have one in there box aswell. also ask your local pc store they should have them laying around for a few dollors MAX

if not ask around somebody you know should have a spare

xeromist
I think this picture shows it pretty well. It shows where it connects on the card and a blown up view of the connector(s). There are two on the card in the picture but you only need one.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…