cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Struggling to choose... 2-Way Titan x vs 4-Way GTX 980

Char82
Level 7
So, I've currently got 4 GTX 980's in an SLI configuration. I've run into an opportunity to trade them for 2 Titan X's...

I'm at a loss as to what to do. I want to be able to game on max settings with 4k. Will this help? I've struggled with the 4 980's on 4k and max. I keep thinking too, that If I got 2 titans, that'd leave 2 PCIe slots open for more cards if need be..

Thoughts???
9 REPLIES 9

InfernoStorm
Level 10
Char82 wrote:
So, I've currently got 4 GTX 980's in an SLI configuration. I've run into an opportunity to trade them for 2 Titan X's...

I'm at a loss as to what to do. I want to be able to game on max settings with 4k. Will this help? I've struggled with the 4 980's on 4k and max. I keep thinking too, that If I got 2 titans, that'd leave 2 PCIe slots open for more cards if need be..

Thoughts???

First of all, I'm jealous. I would be happy if I had 1 GTX 980 so it's awesome to see someone who has that type of money to afford the highest end stuff. Honestly I think that you're at no loss if you trade the 4 x GTX 980s for 2 x Titan Xs, practically equal in the total worth. Since you're into 4K gaming, it makes sense to go with the Titan X because of the larger memory. Also better to have less cards when doing 4K gaming so 1 x Titan X would perform better than 2 x GTX 980 in SLI for 4K, I would assume it's the same for 2 x Titan Xs vs 4 x GTX 980s.

Hopefully someone who has more experience with 4K gaming should churn in on this topic.

Cheers.

InfernoStorm wrote:
First of all, I'm jealous. I would be happy if I had 1 GTX 980 so it's awesome to see someone who has that type of money to afford the highest end stuff. Honestly I think that you're at no loss if you trade the 4 x GTX 980s for 2 x Titan Xs, practically equal in the total worth. Since you're into 4K gaming, it makes sense to go with the Titan X because of the larger memory. Also better to have less cards when doing 4K gaming so 1 x Titan X would perform better than 2 x GTX 980 in SLI for 4K, I would assume it's the same for 2 x Titan Xs vs 4 x GTX 980s.

Hopefully someone who has more experience with 4K gaming should churn in on this topic.

Cheers.

I'm still not quite sure. When I look into benchmarking, the 2 980's beat the 1 titan in 4k performance. I can't really find 4 way SLI 980 benchmarks anywhere to compare a titan sli versus the 4 980's. And correction: I'm not someone who has that type of money. Newegg is just plain irresponsible for lending me all theirs!!! lol

Char82 wrote:
I'm still not quite sure. When I look into benchmarking, the 2 980's beat the 1 titan in 4k performance. I can't really find 4 way SLI 980 benchmarks anywhere to compare a titan sli versus the 4 980's. And correction: I'm not someone who has that type of money. Newegg is just plain irresponsible for lending me all theirs!!! lol

Hi Char, here is a reviews of

OverKILL3D ASUS Matrix Platinum GTX980 4 Way SLI Review

link

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/overkill3d_asus_matrix_platinum_gtx980_4_way_sli_rev...

and TTLs of OC3D video review

https://youtu.be/Mjy6-_mtGtE

I agree with the majority on the 12 gb vs 4 gb, go with titan x. Even the last generation of titans are still a viable solution

Nate152
Hello Char82

I'd probably trade him for the titan x's then like you say, you have the slots to add another if you're not happy with performance. I agree with InfernoStorm the 980 isn't that old but 4GB of Vram isn't going to last long with 4k gaming. Shadow of Morder is using 6GB with the HD pack.

So yeah the titan x's, if you can add a third that would beat four 980's. 🙂

Nate152 wrote:
Hello Char82

I'd probably trade him for the titan x's then like you say, you have the slots to add another if you're not happy with performance. I agree with InfernoStorm the 980 isn't that old but 4GB of Vram isn't going to last long with 4k gaming. Shadow of Morder is using 6GB with the HD pack.

So yeah the titan x's, if you can add a third that would beat four 980's. 🙂

Thanks Nate and Wolverine. I'll definitely follow through and start getting it done. 2 980's are already sold, know anyone who wants the other 2?

Nate152
No sorry Char82 I don't and unfortunately it's against forum rules to buy and sell stuff. Too bad you couldn't get the 980ti, it has about the same performance as the titan x with 6GB of Vram and you could get three of them for the price of two titan x's, that is if he's charging you 1,000.00 dollars a piece for them.

Nate152 wrote:
No sorry Char82 I don't and unfortunately it's against forum rules to buy and sell stuff. Too bad you couldn't get the 980ti, it has about the same performance as the titan x with 6GB of Vram and you could get three of them for the price of two titan x's, that is if he's charging you 1,000.00 dollars a piece for them.

Oh! I apologize, I didn't realize it was against forum rules! I'm actually just out right buying the Titans. I'd have to maybe spend a couple hundred to get to the titans but that's not horrible since I already spent most of the money on the 980's. Would you say that 3 titans would still probably take the 4 980ti's? I'm worried about the scaling of multiple titans versus the price you know?

Nate152
I doubt three titan x's would beat 4 980ti's but three titan x's would beat four 980's. The more cards you add the less the performance increase you get.

Going from 0ne to two gpu's is 80% to 100% performance increase, going from two to three gpu's gets you about 50% more performance increase and adding a fourth gpu gets you about 20% more performance increase. Sometimes adding a fourth gpu can actually hurt performance too. I think it also depends on the game engine how well sli scales.

You'll definitely want to be gaming at 4k with that kind of gpu set up. 3-way sli still seems to be the sweet spot.

http://us.hardware.info/reviews/6033/4/nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-x-sli--3-way-sli--4-way-sli-review-i...

Ok Char since Nate brought up the 980ti subject,

here again is TTL from OC3D review and included the titan x in the discussion

Hope it helps

https://youtu.be/ap9U4SGJayk