cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overclocking CPU with offset voltage?

Stefe04
Level 7
So I've found my sweet spot in the case of temperatures, clock multiplier and manual voltage. However, being the finicky person I am, I discovered overclocking with "offset voltage" and wanted to try it out, mainly to keep voltages low while idling/under low load. My motherboard doesn't offer adaptive voltages, so I can't do that.

I was just wondering if I should/need to stress test my overclock on offset voltages if I already know that I'll be within my stable manual voltage (on load). Is it also fine on idle if I'm able to boot into Windows or is there a test for that?

My current setup:

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V Pro
CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.3 GHz (1.25v [manual])
CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO
Ram: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 MHz
PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700w
4 REPLIES 4

Nate152
Hello Stefe04

Offset voltage affects idle voltage as well. If you use to much of a negative offset it won't be stable at idle but as along as you can boot you should be ok, if you get a bluescreen you know you used too much.

You could set your cpu voltage .01v higher then use -.01v as a starting point, also set the windows power plan to balanced if it isn't already.

You can use ROG realbench for stress testing.

http://rog.asus.com/rog-pro/realbench-v2-leaderboard/

You can also use ROG cpu-z to see your cpu voltage at idle.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/CPU-Z-ROG.shtml

Karac
Level 7
Stefe04 wrote:

I was just wondering if I should/need to stress test my overclock on offset voltages if I already know that I'll be within my stable manual voltage (on load).

Some people say that you should NEVER stress test on offset mode, especially with synthetic applications (Prime95, Linpack). I've still not found a clear and definitive answer.

Karac wrote:
Some people say that you should NEVER stress test on offset mode, especially with synthetic applications (Prime95, Linpack). I've still not found a clear and definitive answer.

Hello

Any statements like that are not based on sound reasoning. Testing for stability regardless of the chosen voltage mode should be done.

Actually I agree with you, but I've read (don't know if it's true or not) that it could damage the CPU (especially with synthetics).