cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

g74sx trouble

frewi
Level 7
Hey folks i am new to these forums and have seem to have run into a problem with my recovery,its open (reason its open its i tryed to restore it when i had linux and it screwed up) and i cant restore it says there is another partiton when i retry the dvds sadly also posting this via galaxy captivate due to no wireless drivers
If I'm helpful please let me know for that i know i'm doing good or else tell me for i can improve! 😛
31 REPLIES 31

BrodyBoy
Level 10
frewi wrote:
Hey folks i am new to these forums and have seem to have run into a problem with my recovery,its open (reason its open its i tryed to restore it when i had linux and it screwed up) and i cant restore it says there is another partiton when i retry the dvds sadly also posting this via galaxy captivate due to no wireless drivers

You're trying to do a factory restore? Do you still have the original hard drive installed, with its original partitions?

The_Nemesis
Level 10
The recovery dvd's should say there's an existing partion or hard drive has changed and repartion drive. If you are restoring from Ai Recovery DVD that you first made try deleting all partitions on drive first then boot from dvd to install recovery partition, then remove dvd, boot pressing f9 and restore from recovery partition.
Praetor
» i7 990X 3101A239
» Asus Rampage III Black Edition
» Asus GTX 470 & 570 Tri-SLI or Three Sapphire 5850's CFX
» 6GB Corsair Dominator GT TR3X6G1866C7GTF
» Corsiar Force Series 180GB
» CORSAIR Professional Series AX1200 1200W
» Microcool Banchetto 101
Defiant
» G74SX » 16GB ram » Corsiar Force Series 180GB » 750GB Seagate » Blu-ray

The Nemesis wrote:
The recovery dvd's should say there's an existing partion or hard drive has changed and repartion drive. If you are restoring from Ai Recovery DVD that you first made try deleting all partitions on drive first then boot from dvd to install recovery partition, then remove dvd, boot pressing f9 and restore from recovery partition.

DO NOT DO THAT! DO NOT DELETE PARTITIONS. If the recovery DVDs are not working, you may well lose the only chance you have for a successful factory restore.

frewi
Level 7
Yes i do have the orginal hard drive in it and yes i tryed to restore it but failed edit - wow fast replyers anyways i stll got the recovery partiton my guessing is because its open it wont work(ready tryed f9 and it didnt work might try again)
If I'm helpful please let me know for that i know i'm doing good or else tell me for i can improve! 😛

You tried with the DVDs?

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Try a factory restore from the recovery partition (no DVDs):

• Immediately after powering up, hit the F9 function key repeatedly.
  • When the menu opens, confirm that you want to proceed. This will restores the computer to the exact out-of-box condition it shipped with from the factory. Everything on the primary disc will be overwritten.
  • The whole thing takes about 45 minutes, and requires no input on your part as it runs. Just leave it....don't touch anything.
  • After the factory restore, its final reboot will look like you're turning the computer on for the first time, and you should be good to go.

Again, it takes awhile.....don't touch anything until you're positive it's done.

BrodyBoy wrote:
Try a factory restore from the recovery partition (no DVDs):

• Immediately after powering up, hit the F9 function key repeatedly.
  • When the menu opens, confirm that you want to proceed. This will restores the computer to the exact out-of-box condition it shipped with from the factory. Everything on the primary disc will be overwritten.
  • The whole thing takes about 45 minutes, and requires no input on your part as it runs. Just leave it....don't touch anything.
  • After the factory restore, its final reboot will look like you're turning the computer on for the first time, and you should be good to go.

Again, it takes awhile.....don't touch anything until you're positive it's done.

Which partition is the recovery partition? I was planning to do the clean install of windows and drivers in the next few days; I don't want to reformat the wrong partition. I was planning to setup one partition only during the windows setup process.

TeckTime wrote:
Which partition is the recovery partition? I was planning to do the clean install of windows and drivers in the next few days; I don't want to reformat the wrong partition. I was planning to setup one partition only during the windows setup process.

The recovery partition is a 25Gb "hidden" partition right before the C: drive. In most OEM setups, this will show up as Disc 0 Partition 1 when you do your clean install.

Retired
Not applicable
guyz I want to return my g74sx because since i bought it their is a clicking sound starting when i press to power button and then the clicking continues but believe me you guys can easily hear the sound.... I bought it from best buy and is it possible for me to give it back... I had my warranties everything set up but since the time i took it their is a clicking sound and now when i try to open my pc it always open the recovery mode i don't know what to do... I have kyspersky and my pc is all protected but did not understand this issue!!!!!!! help me please! When i power off and open again = recovery sometimes it normally opens windows but i still hear clicking sound i will be returning it back but does best buy take it back even its 3 month old? also i went to best buy for help they thought it helped me but it didn't ...