cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

m.2 x4 vs sata real performance

ramkitty
Level 7
First post. I just purchased a G751JT (with a m.2 connector) and am looking to install an SSD. I am curious what kind of real performance can be seen using m.2 of sata. I am coming from a computer several generations old which I did outfit a SSD for huge improvement over a spinner.

Will it boot significantly faster, app loads, etc. Or is it too bleeding edge to justify the extra expense. Data seems sparce beyond data r/w speeds.
6 REPLIES 6

ReDFoX2200
Level 7
M.2 x4 is much faster than SSD, it is top of the line.
M.2 can read and write around 1000 MB/s
SSD can read and write around 550 MB/s

if you get samsung latest M.2 you can get up to 2000 MB/s

Hí,

feel free to use any translator like google or so.

http://www.computerbase.de/2015-05/samsung-sm951-im-test/

cheers

steve

Prostar_Compute
Level 9
Remember that m.2 is just the form factor. The PCI-E variant is noticeably faster than SATA, but whether it is enough to justify the cost is subjective.

We customize Asus, MSI, and Clevo laptops!

Prostar Computer wrote:
Remember that m.2 is just the form factor. The PCI-E variant is noticeably faster than SATA, but whether it is enough to justify the cost is subjective.

Right, no one's gonna die if Windows takes 6 seconds to boot instead of 4 😉 Although... nah... well... theoretically. Oh eff it, I'm never gonna go SATA again!
ASUS G751JY | i7-4720HQ | GTX 980M | 16GB RAM | M.2 SSD + HDD | WIN 10

Korth
Level 14
SATA SSDs in striped RAID can be awesomely fast, too. In theory up to "6X" faster, although in practice only up to maybe 2GB/s throughput with six fast SSDs.

There are some PCIe SSD cards which can sustain 2GB/s, 4GB/s, or even more throughput. The G.Skill Phoenix Blade is a fine example, actually a "low end" enterprise product rebranded for gamers.

SATA, M.2, and PCIe SSD are just form factors, they all use basically the same flash chips and controllers. Performance at the high end is limited by the bus, and PCIe is the fastest of these. Unlike SATA and M.2, PCIe cards are often multiple "discrete" SSDs embedded onto a single performance RAIN/RAID configuration, reported to the system as a "single" drive.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

ramkitty
Level 7
I hate how they merge multiple techs into the same form factor. M.2 has sata, x2, x4 and also nvme memory (not supported?) it makes devices not consumer friendly. In addition to the cost I just purchased a 850 evo 512GB and will run windows/apps from that. I may upgrade to an x4 in the future when costs come down a touch. Thanks for the info guys.