cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Connect Amperage Readings

Retired
Not applicable
Hello,

I've been working with the Rampage III Extreme ROG Connect Feature and I love it.
I have an i7 980x in the board running at stock for now, and I've been monitoring the amperage draw.

Here are pictures to some screenshots of the ROG diagram while the CPU is totally Idle, and at 100% load (with stress testing software).

Wattage:

Voltage:

It's showing 41.89 Amps at 100% load and 1.164v
It's showing 4.44 Amps at Idle (0% load). and 1.224v

I need to know how accurate ROG Connect is for monitoring these values for the CPU. I've cross checked the voltage readings and they are 100% accurate. I can't really just assume that its accurate because ROG Connect is a pretty new feature. I need to have some Intel people look at it, and some Asus people look at it to see if it looks correct.

Using the formula [Watts = Amperage * Volts] I'm looking to use the Amperage and Voltage values from ROG connect to isolate the Wattage of the CPU at a given voltage while at 100% load from the rest of the system.

So if my wattage on my wall meter reads something like ~400W I can deduct what I find from this to see how much my system is using without the CPU.

Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2

xeromist
It'd be nice to know. I've always wondered just how much the board is taking.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
Well, just an update since no one here is responding.

I posted the same question on Intel's Forums.
I posted the same question on Asus Forums.

The end result is a power profile for my CPU Overclock. I'll explain.

http://download.intel.com/design/processor/datashts/323252.pdf
According to page 25, figure 2-8, of this data-sheet...

As Amperage "Icc (A)" increases (i.e., the more you overclock)
The lower your max tolerable voltage is beginning at whatever your Max VID is (in my case 1.375v), decreasing linearly 5A*(-0.004v)
...that is, if I'm reading it correctly (and I'm on Intel forum asking the same stuff to find out).

Once I know a fairly accurate Amperage usage for my CPU at a given overclock, I can use that information to find out what the Vcc_MAX is at that voltage.

If this can be accomplished there are numerous benefits.
- Finally separating where the line is drawn between a "golden chip" and a "crappy chip" or some "average chip" based on hard numbers.
- People will have solid evidence for how far they can reasonably expect to push their CPU without fear of degradation or risking failure because this work can be replicated for every Intel CPU type.

Here are my tests so far.
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AiqWJwYxhJqKdGl5dlBHRzBCSXNuVmQ4ZUFZWkJ2ZUE&hl=en

Again the question is quite simple. How accurate are the Amperage readings in ROG Connect? If its 100% great! If there is a +/-5% margin of error great! I just need to know.