cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB mouse weirdness on G74SX-BBK8

Retired
Not applicable
Greetings,

Recently bought a G74 from Best Buy. I haven't done much with it the last couple of weeks aside from a clean reinstall of Windows 7 x64 and installing my normal tools and a few games, including World of Warcraft.

My 14-day return period has just passed and this weekend I actually got a chance to sit down and play Warcraft and set up my add-ons when I noticed something odd. The way I have my controls set up is a throwback to when I played FPS games, my left hand runs WSAD, and my right uses a wired USB mouse to control which direction I look and move by holding down the right mouse button and moving the mouse.

What I noticed is that I'll be walking around, holding down the W key and right mouse button while I move the mouse to drive and all of a sudden, my view will start tilting up and down randomly and erratically. After this happened a few times, I started to think that maybe my mouse had broken on me, so I swapped a generic Dynex (Best Buy house brand) optical mouse with a USB Intellimouse. Eventually, the same erratic tilting started up again. I released the right mouse button and saw my mouse pointer erratically moving up and down, but not sideways. Eventually it would stop, but the random movements would last anywhere from 2-10 seconds. Sometimes, it would also act as if the right-mouse button were being held down, even though I was not pushing it. I tried different USB ports, but 3 of the 4 showed the same issues (one of them was the USB 3.0 port), but the last one didn't perhaps because I didn't play long enough for the problem to manifest.

So, with all that wall of text as background, can anyone give me some ideas about how I could fix this? Is it a driver issue? Maybe something with the touchpad? or is it a hardware issue and I have a flaky USB controller? Is it something I can fix myself, or am I looking at an RMA?

Thanks!

Brett
1 REPLY 1

JRd1st
Level 12
Set the touchpad to disable when a mouse is plugged in. Look in the mouse control panel for an FSP tab.
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com