cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-ROG Motherboard (P7P55D series) OC help? Referred here from Blizzcon

Retired
Not applicable
Hey all, i talked to one of the ROG members and mods of the forums when i was at blizzcon today and let him know that i had been looking to find a good OC guild for my P7P55D EVO board to no avail for some time, and he referred me to this forum and let me know that either its members or moderators could help me out.

The BIOS unfortunately is totally different than what i've seen from the ROG boards, and i'd love to see a good guide on navigating it to have a good OC experience.
My computer build is as follows, and once im back from Blizzcon on sunday i'll post pictures from my BIOS screen as well. Keep in mind everything is at stock speeds still, so im also wondering what my cielings may be with my current CPU cooling setup.
ASUS P7P55D EVO
i7 860 (1156)
ASUS 5870 (reference board)
Antec trupower 750
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4gb DDR3 1600 (9-9-9-24)
H50 in push/pull configuration with 2x Scythe gentletyphoons
WD Black 640gb
CM ATCS 840
9 REPLIES 9

xeromist
I'm not sure if there is a guide for your board specifically but if you post what your current settings are I'm sure that you could be guided.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
xeromist wrote:
I'm not sure if there is a guide for your board specifically but if you post what your current settings are I'm sure that you could be guided.

Ok, i'll be sure to post my BIOS screens when i get home tomorrow afternoon. Thanks.

I'm also looking to get the Maximus III sometime in early december/late november, would it be a better idea to just wait and OC it then? I'm just changing my motherboard and maybe case, but all my other components will remain the same.

Or by that time would i be better off waiting for a new model for 1156 to come out?

patsteele wrote:
Ok, i'll be sure to post my BIOS screens when i get home tomorrow afternoon. Thanks.

I'm also looking to get the Maximus III sometime in early december/late november, would it be a better idea to just wait and OC it then? I'm just changing my motherboard and maybe case, but all my other components will remain the same.

Or by that time would i be better off waiting for a new model for 1156 to come out?

You won't be able to wait for another 1156 board to come out because Intel's upcoming P67 chipset is the replacement for P55 so we will not be making anymore P55 boards. However, the Maximus III is definitely a good board to use for overclocking your i7-860. Your P7P55D EVO is a very good board as well. With your setup, and depending on the real-world stability level you're looking for, I would say you can get your i7-860 to 4.2 - 4.3 GHz, maybe higher on your EVO board. If you need assistance with overclocking, just let us know your setup (which you've already done) and then what kind of CPU, memory, etc. speeds that you're looking for, what kind of temperatures you're trying to maintain, etc., and we'll be happy to share our knowledge.

Onward and upward...

xeromist
No harm in doing a little OC'ing with your current board. It will help you get a feel for what your chip is capable of. Once you get the new board if you have trouble hitting the same speed or pass it easily then you'll know there was a difference with the boards. If you never try with this board then you'll have to wonder if it's the board or the chip that limits you with your final OC. Does that make sense?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

69_Goat
Level 7
Here are some very good overclocking guides written by Miahallen and posted at TechReaction.

http://www.techreaction.net/2010/09/07/intel-core-i3-i5-and-i7-buyers-guide/

He covers the major brands of motherboards and explains the bios differences between them.

Work your way through the guide and by the time you are done you should have a good grasp of how to overclock your machine.
i7-980X | EVGA 762 Classified | 6GB Dom GT 2000C7 | GTX580 SLI

i7-2600K | Asus MIVE-Z68 | 4GB Dom GT 2000C8 | GTX580 Martix

69_Goat's HWBOT Profile

Retired
Not applicable
why dont you use auto tuner. it works great. you should be able to get 3.8-4ghz from that chip with auto tune. just use the custom mode that stresses it hardcore.

otherwise its pretty straight forward, raise your bclk, set your memory timing manually or use the xmp profile, and set your cpu voltage from 1.35-1.38 volts. maybe need to push for 4 volts for 4ghz. ill check the settings i have on my p7p55d premium board at home. i have almost identical specs to what you have, same cpu, similar board, same cooler.

martin_metal_88
Level 8
it's pretty hard to achieve 4Ghz on a 860. You may have to bump the PLL ant VTT as well. Try to avoid any setting on auto.
Martin_metal_88

Colenzo :Coolermaster ATCS 840 | Gigabyte's EP55-UD5 | Intel Core I7 860 @ 3.8Ghz | 4GB G.skill Trident 1600 | MSI GTX460 1GB HAWK Twin frozr | WD 640 black + WD 1TB green + WD 1TB Blue | Pionner DVR-216 | Silverstone Strider Plus 850W | Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus in push pull fan config |

Ask for more!

Retired
Not applicable
i have a 860 and its at 4ghz at home.

martin_metal_88
Level 8
Mine is doing 4Ghz to but it have been a long run to finlly find the good setting. And my CPU PLL is actually off the intel limit. But well, this 860 is te first one that have been sold in PQ. We receive them 3 day to soon so the second they came on retail I was hitting the buy button at my job mouhahaha. SO well, being in the first batch it
Martin_metal_88

Colenzo :Coolermaster ATCS 840 | Gigabyte's EP55-UD5 | Intel Core I7 860 @ 3.8Ghz | 4GB G.skill Trident 1600 | MSI GTX460 1GB HAWK Twin frozr | WD 640 black + WD 1TB green + WD 1TB Blue | Pionner DVR-216 | Silverstone Strider Plus 850W | Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus in push pull fan config |

Ask for more!