cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JS - Newly purchased refurb freezes when cold booting and waking up from sleep

papabri
Level 7
Hi all,

I've found several threads where people complain about freezing issues, but none are quite the same as what I'm experiencing.

Quick background:
Brought home a refurb G750JS earlier this month. I put in a samsung 256gb ssd, downloaded backtracker 3.0.8 and did a factory reset to have the OS (win 8.1) on the ssd. When I got into windows, for some reason there were 2 partitions set up in each of the 2 hard drives, so I went to disk manager and changed it so each disk has just 1 partition.

The problem:
When I cold boot, about 1 in 3 times I do this the laptop freezes. The freeze can occur on the windows logo screen with the spinning loading icon, or the with the screen completely black before it reaches the windows logo screen. I end up having to hold power down to force shut down and then turn it back on and it loads into windows fine.

The other issue is with sleep/hibernate. If I click in windows to sleep/hibernate or if I simply close the lid and then open it, the computer can't get back into windows without freezing. The freeze occurs with the screen black or on the windows lock screen.

Solutions:
I was reluctant to update the bios, which is version 204 I believe, but based on some other threads I found it sounds like going to 208 is worth a try, so I will test it tonight. From what I could tell my chipset driver is up-to-date with what I found on the asus drivers page. My geforce experience app says my nvidia driver is up to date.

Can anyone recommend anything else I should consider? I'd prefer not to do another factory reset. The laptop did freeze when I first booted into windows after the reset. I'd also rather not send the unit into asus for repair since I live in the UK and brought the laptop over when I was visiting family in north america.

Thank you!
4 REPLIES 4

papabri
Level 7
Quick update: The BIOS was version 205. It's now 208, but still running into this problem.

I contacted ASUS about this issue and they suggest doing a restore from the recovery partition. Is there much point to doing this with windows 10 only a month away? Any chance the win 10 upgrade will have any impact on this problem? I'm still unsure if it's even a windows problem since the laptop can freeze before the windows logo while the screen is still black. Any advice?

papabri
Level 7
To close this thread out, I ran through 172 windows updates and in the 5 days since I haven't noticed any freezing issues with booting or waking from sleep.

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Interesting find. I myself was aware of the Sleep / Hibernate issue, but I never use that function I'd rather just shut down and reboot, as well as many others that have had to get into the habit per this problem.

It's good that the issue's now fixed, didn't expect a Windows Update to do it though.. let's see what happens in the future. ;x