cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anyone that are having boot problems please read this

schueydeman
Level 7
hi I brought my asus rampage v extreme x99 motherboard 1 week ago and it is only been till the last 3 days I have found the problem ,it was the usb settings that needed to be changed then it was perfect, the problems I have been having is windows would not shut down it would shut down then hang with fans on full power until I held the power button for ten seconds to turn it off then when it was turned back on it would say overclocking failed even though it was at default settings I have a Logitech g19 keyboard and I new it was something to do with the keyboard because when I unplugged it the motherboard worked perfect so please change your settings from smart auto to auto and it sorted mine out I have overclocked my cpu and memory and it is now rock solid hope this helps some people who are having problems
6 REPLIES 6

Praz
Level 13
Hello

Thanks for the post. When experiencing boot or shutdown issues with Z97 or X99 platforms a good troubleshooting step is checking for non-compliant USB devices.

Korth
Level 14
Logitech G15/G19 keyboards are notorious for this. Later revisions and refurbs correct this USB connection issue.

Logitech's LGS software sometimes starts up after an odd delay, long after the WinOS boot process, and sometimes "loses" the keyboard during driver initialization and USB (re)enumeration.

Technically, USB1.x/2.x connector specs actually specify a fifth "pin" - the metal connector shell itself - to serve as an electrical ground. Not strictly necessary (as Pin 4 is already USB Ground), just a failsafe redundancy for maximum current handling to ensure signal reliability. Many (most?) USB1.x/2.x device manufacturers basically ignore this "pin 5" connector, it has a weak electrical connection and isn't actually soldered into place on their devices/cables. Logitech sometimes used such cheap (non-compliant) USB cables in their peripherals.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

BrutalAttis
Level 7
I've had similar issues mostly with CH products flight pedals (drove me crazy when I first encounter it, made no sense at the time)... I popped in a StarTech.com 4 Port PCI Express card and plugged all non-complaint USB devices into it. No more issues period.

I have mixed feelings about the mobo having issues with older USB devices, more frustrating was the weird symptoms.

Otherwise I really love the board and got a nice overclock without trying all that hard.

Hopper64
Level 15
Is there a compliant hub that would work that you could connect noncompliant USB devices?
MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro

BrutalAttis
Level 7
Sorry I cant advise regrading a USB-HUB but I do recall reading someone else resolved their issues using a hub. But personally cant say that works.

Hopper64
Level 15
Thanks. I would like to solve the issue with a hub rather than a PCIe device if possible.
MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro