cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS X99 Deluxe vs Rampage V

matrixleader
Level 8
I read that the X99 Deluxe has more PCIe ports or lanes so it has the full bandwidth across all slots whereas the Rampage V only has 2 16x PCIe ports.....

This confuses me as the Deluxe sounds better in this case with faster PCIe slots meaning one could have better performance from the GPU if they're doing SLI setups right?

So why did Origin PC recommend I go with the Rampage V for better overclocking? it sounds like an inferior board.
9 REPLIES 9

Chino
Level 15
In regards to PCIe lane speeds, both motherboard are pretty much equal up to 2 way SLI configurations (x16/x16). The only difference is at 3 way SLI where the X99 Deluxe supports x16/x16/x8 and the R5E does x16/x8/x8.

The big limitation with the X99 Deluxe, is that it does not support 4 way SLI officially due to the design of the PCIe slots. In order to use a 4 way SLI configuartion on the X99 Deluxe, your GPUs must use single slot cooling. In other words, you'd need to watercool them. On the other hand, the R5E doesn't have this limitation. 😛

If overclocking is your plan, the R5E is superior by all means whether it be its power design or the amount of overclocking options available for hardcore overclockers.

Chino wrote:
In regards to PCIe lane speeds, both motherboard are pretty much equal up to 2 way SLI configurations (x16/x16). The only difference is at 3 way SLI where the X99 Deluxe supports x16/x16/x8 and the R5E does x16/x8/x8.

This is probably hardwired into the board circuit layout - tradeoffs and complexities and costs, as always - so there's little chance that an R5E firmware update could ever enable x16/x16/x8 capability. I wonder if 5-way x8/x8/x8/x8/x8 is possible on those boards which actually have 5 PCIe 3.0 slots, lol.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Praz
Level 13
Hello

Didn't Raja satisfactorily answer this at OCN?

matrixleader
Level 8
He did, just wanna make sure I am not missing on anything coz I keep reading mixed reviews.....

I did order the X99 Deluxe with my new build but they didn't start building the system yet so I still have a chance to change.....

Menthol
Level 14
I have owned both boards, both are very good and have there strong points, when I first seen the M.2 slot configuration on the Deluxe i thought what an odd way of mounting that drive sticking straight out, but it doesn't interfere with the GPU mounting plus the little plastic snap in plug to hold the drive allows very easy insertion and removal and is a very good arrangement. as Praz says they are designed for a different target group but both very equal in performance unless your a more extreme overclocker

samboy87
Level 9
matrixleader wrote:
I read that the X99 Deluxe has more PCIe ports or lanes so it has the full bandwidth across all slots whereas the Rampage V only has 2 16x PCIe ports.....

This confuses me as the Deluxe sounds better in this case with faster PCIe slots meaning one could have better performance from the GPU if they're doing SLI setups right?

So why did Origin PC recommend I go with the Rampage V for better overclocking? it sounds like an inferior board.
\

well 16x and 8x doesnt make a big diffrents, check linustech on youtube. 16x gives you 1-2fps higher in games. i wouldn't worry.

check this out ----------> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rctaLgK5stA

samboy87 wrote:
\

well 16x and 8x doesnt make a big diffrents, check linustech on youtube. 16x gives you 1-2fps higher in games. i wouldn't worry.

check this out ----------> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rctaLgK5stA

Thanks a lot for this video bro, this shows that there is no difference between an 8X or 16X slot.

matrixleader wrote:
Thanks a lot for this video bro, this shows that there is no difference between an 8X or 16X slot.

You were told this several times on OCN.

matrixleader wrote:

you're welcome 😉