cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JY Vertical Stripes

ikerf1
Level 7
Hello
I bought an ASUS G751JY-T7056H 2 months ago and after 2 RMA i still havent found a solution for some vertical stripes that appears sometimes on the screen in green and grey backgrounds.
My issue consist in some vertical stripes that appear on green and grey backgrounds especially in videos like in a football/soccer match where you can constantly see the vertical lines on the grass. Reinstalling the Nvidia graphics drivers fix this issue momentarily but it appears again after a few hours.
I send it to RMA 2 times but none of them solve the problem. On my first RMA they reinstall the operating system and ignoring that i told them that the issue would appear again after a few hours they just send it back claiming to be repaired, but it wasnt. I send it to RMA for the second time 2 weeks ago because i got 2 dead pixels on the screen and i hope that maybe i was in luck and that by changing the screen this would also fix the vertical stripes on the screen. But after receiving the laptop yesterday with a new screen the issue is still present exactly like it was before.
This issue really ruin the laptop for me because in addition of the stripes on the screen I also get my eyes hurt after looking at the screen for only half an hour so i have to stop using it.
Im really starting to feel desperate here. Maybe its a graphics card problem or some faulty wires? I would really appreciate some help.
Thanks for your help
7 REPLIES 7

escha
Level 7
looks like gpu or edp port on motherboard issue...

escha wrote:
looks like gpu or edp port on motherboard issue...

Thanks for your answer. But why do you think that the problem go away reinstalling the graphics driver and reappear later again?

escha
Level 7
are you monitoring the gpu temperatures?
with HWinfo64 for example?
maybe it's temp related thats why reinstalling drivers make them go away for some time (because gpu gets cooller) and reapears when you game,

really wierd issue and if software changes like reinstaling drivers and system doesn't help it must be hardware related (temps perhaps?) or some vbios bug...

Try using Display Driver Uninstaller - it will whipe all previous display drivers leftovers (registry also gets cleaned from them). Get newest version here:
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
then download and install newest geforce driver

If that doesn't help, 3rd RMA and this time expect to get new unit or motherboard replaced.

escha wrote:
are you monitoring the gpu temperatures?
with HWinfo64 for example?
maybe it's temp related thats why reinstalling drivers make them go away for some time (because gpu gets cooller) and reapears when you game,

really wierd issue and if software changes like reinstaling drivers and system doesn't help it must be hardware related (temps perhaps?) or some vbios bug...

Try using Display Driver Uninstaller - it will whipe all previous display drivers leftovers (registry also gets cleaned from them). Get newest version here:
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
then download and install newest geforce driver

If that doesn't help, 3rd RMA and this time expect to get new unit or motherboard replaced.

Thank you for your answer. I already used the display driver unistaller to fully remove the driver but the stripes still appeared later. I dont think the issue is because of the GPU temps because if i turn off the laptop for an hour, when i power it on again the lines are still there. I guess i will have to try a 3rd RMA but the problem is that they will just reinstall the operating system and tell me that is repaired like they did the first time. I dont think they will change the motherboard or give me another unit.

JarekCyphus
Level 7
I've also had a black (sometimes green against black backgrounds) single line of dead pixels on the left side of my G751-JY, purchased through newegg. My first one did it out of the box. I RMA'd it. Now on my second one (acquired in June), it was initially intermittent, as I could get it to go away by partly closing the lid on my laptop and then fully extending it again. After one day in a secure laptop bag, it's been a permanent fixture of my display. Asus's quality has been garbage of late. I ultimately got a full warranty refund for the power problems I kept running into with the G750, and I only went to the G751 because of all the hooting and hollaring I'd heard about its "awesome performance" with Elite and Star Citizen. Sure, it performs great; and I should be happy, because while at home, I port the screen out to an external monitor with no problems. However, I'm also a Navy reservist. Both my civilian and military careers make me travel often, and I would like not to be distracted by a bloody line of dead pixels on my screen.

I'm sick of RMA'ing things to ASUS to get the same issue repeated in each repair/replacement. Clearly, from what the OP said, I'm not the only one who keeps experiencing their "fresh wipe and return" policy of repair. I'm about to change the screen myself, should anyone have a guide on how to access the lid.

Frustrated and over it. For computers with such great gaming performance, they sure have the worst Quality Assurance I've ever seen in a brand.

vempatyappu
Level 7
When you get the laptop back from RMA is it mentioned what kind of repairs have been done on laptop? Also try changing the refresh rate on your laptop once if the vertical lines worsens or not. My laptop had the same problem but it was fixed when I changed the refresh rate from 75 Hz to 60 Hz. Eventually I returned it as it had USB problems and overheating but yeah try changing the refresh rate.

clockworksatan
Level 7
Having worked in electrical retail/IT for some time, vertical stripes on the screen to me usually indicates a faulty screen or possibly a loose cable going to it. The issue may come and go due to the nature of laptop screens (i.e they move to open & close) but if I were you I'd be RMA-ing this in.
Asus ROG G751JT-T7115H
17.3" IPS, Intel i7-4720HQ, 16Gb RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX970m, 256Gb M.2 SSD + 1Tb SSHD