cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G20AJ Successful upgrade + How to set the jumpers!

Kamelox
Level 7
Hey together

After a long time, I decided to upgrade the gpu of my G20AJ, from a GTX750 to a GTX970. Finally did it!

I bought the PNY GTX 970 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133564&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Ju...)

and the 180W adapter (http://www.microspot.ch/msp/de/hardware/tablet-zubehoer/asus-n180w-02-netzteil-wechselstrom-100-240-...)

So when I unpacked everything and plugged everything on, I didn't work at first. I started to get mad, because it was a lot of money, that I spent. So I unplugged and plugged everything several times, until I read the sentence of GoHack: "You need to set the jumpers". But this was really complicated for me, cause there weren't any pictures of it. So after testing some combinations, I finally got the computer working!
Now, I'm really happy! Thanks for the people in this forum, which gave me the eagerness to upgrade my ROG!

Below, I posted some screens of a benchmark test, which I made with the GTX 750 and the GTX 750.

And, obviously a screen of how you should set the jumpers, when using the 180W and the 230W supply!

Feel free to ask me!
14 REPLIES 14

macxujian
Level 7
Oh,my friend.You solved my problem.Thank you very very much.

macxujian wrote:
Oh,my friend.You solved my problem.Thank you very very much.

What I forgot was, that you have to remove the metall grill, inside of the case (the metall thing with dots). Remove this, otherwise your system may gets too hot. 😉

I am sorry.I don't understand what is the metall grill...if you could provide the picture.Thank you
Kamelox wrote:
What I forgot was, that you have to remove the metall grill, inside of the case (the metall thing with dots). Remove this, otherwise your system may gets too hot. 😉

rene_canlas
Level 7
I think he is referring to the black grille at the back of the gpu slot. You have to break it off.

Oh,I see.I have break it off
rene_canlas wrote:
I think he is referring to the black grille at the back of the gpu slot. You have to break it off.

Ravenholme
Level 7
do not break off the black heatsink that connects to the CPU that's vital! lol.

The part he's referring to is in the models without the GTX760 there's a cover over the graphics card on the cover you initially took off to access the inside hardware. When you remove that metal grill on the cover it will allow airflow to get through. Asus has a video walkthrough about that grill in their youtube channel for the G20AJ

Ravenholme wrote:
do not break off the black heatsink that connects to the CPU that's vital! lol.

The part he's referring to is in the models without the GTX760 there's a cover over the graphics card on the cover you initially took off to access the inside hardware. When you remove that metal grill on the cover it will allow airflow to get through. Asus has a video walkthrough about that grill in their youtube channel for the G20AJ

Here's a picture of the inside of the cover w/o the grill.

. ROG Zephyrus GA401QM (Q14) Laptop, AMD Ryzen 9 5900H CPU; Nvidia RTX 3060 GPU; 24 GB DDR4 (1x8 GB, 1x16); 1 TB Samsung Pro980 M.2 SSD; Windows 10 Pro

steele_22
Level 7
Your jumpers are wrong. I am able to run a GTX 980 TI with my jumper settings shown below.

GoHack
Level 8
Sorry about the lack of a picture for the jumper setting, but my cell phone, which I was using to take the pictures, when dead.
. ROG Zephyrus GA401QM (Q14) Laptop, AMD Ryzen 9 5900H CPU; Nvidia RTX 3060 GPU; 24 GB DDR4 (1x8 GB, 1x16); 1 TB Samsung Pro980 M.2 SSD; Windows 10 Pro