cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radeon HD 4870x2 on X79

TechXero
Level 7
Hey there,

I currently own a Radeon HD 4870x2 2GB GDDR5 GPU, and was wondering once I upgrade to an X79 System, like the Rampage iV eXtreme and Corei7 3930K, will I be able to keep it ?

I know it's not DX11 capable, but the upgrade will be costing me over $1000, so won't be able to afford a new GPU .. Will my HD4870x2 last a while or will it be dying soon ?

Thanks 😉

~ My Current Build ~

| ROG Rampage V Extreme | Intel Core-i7 6800K @ 3.8Ghz |
| ROG STRiX GTX 1080 8Gb GDDR5X | Corsair Vengeance 16gb DDR4 |
| Tt Chaser A71 | Tt 1200W ToughPower | Corsair K70 RGB | G302 DAEDALUS PRIME |
6 REPLIES 6

xeromist
Sure, it'll work. Plenty of people have used older cards in new boards and everything is compatible.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

TechXero
Level 7
Well I know it will work, it's an awesome GPU that cost me $750 back in the day, but question was how long will it last, you think ?

~ My Current Build ~

xeromist
Sure, it should last for years to come. The lifespan for well treated graphics cards is usually way beyond the point where they are no longer competitive performance wise. That means that you'll likely upgrade to a faster card before this one dies of old age.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

TechXero
Level 7
Sure, it should last for years to come. The lifespan for well treated graphics cards is usually way beyond the point where they are no longer competitive performance wise. That means that you'll likely upgrade to a faster card before this one dies of old age.

So even-though it's not DX11 capable it will still live for a long time whilst dishing out good or average performance on new Game titles ? Coz am the kind of guy that Maxes out all specs in a game with VSync set to "On" to minimize Jitter expecting full 60fps (60hz) ...

With that in mind you still think it will last ?

Thanks 😉

~ My Current Build ~

xeromist
You asked if it will die. No it probably won't die. Will it play all games on max settings for the next 10 years? Of course not.

I don't think DX11 will be an issue because a lot of games are still being made for DX9 and very few are DX11 only. However games will continue to demand more rendering power. If you want to know exactly when your expectations will pass the ability of your card then you're going to need a crystal ball. It will depend on what games you are playing and what settings make them look good.

My recommendation is to stick with your existing card until it can't meet your requirements anymore. It might be 6 months, it might be a year; nobody will be able to predict that better than you.

TechXero
Level 7
You asked if it will die. No it probably won't die. Will it play all games on max settings for the next 10 years? Of course not.

I know it won't last 10 years, but at least another year or 2 ... Thanks bro, appreciate the fast replies .. That will save me a huge bundle 😉

~ My Current Build ~