cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This new site only uses half of the screen.. why?

380mcn
Level 9
With super duper monitor resolutions available.. this 'new' site uses rules from the 1990's! WTF? are we getting back to the 1024x768 era?
The font used is difficult to read, it's color doesn't help either and the image limit is a joke..

IMHO this is not a forum.. ..this is a recipe webpage..
15 REPLIES 15

Area_66
Level 11
I don't see it as a problem, aside peoples with tablets or netbook will apreciate

xeromist
I like having a layout that doesn't require the full screen because I have other windows open as well. Not to mention when I'm on my netbook I don't have the super resolution that you say everyone has. Is the layout causing a problem for you?

As for the color scheme and image limit, look to the top of the page and you'll notice it says BETA. Things can and will change. If you set the rudeness aside and constructively communicate changes you think would help then I'm sure the site operators would be happy to listen and consider them.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

X-ROG
Level 15
380mcn wrote:
With super duper monitor resolutions available.. this 'new' site uses rules from the 1990's! WTF? are we getting back to the 1024x768 era?
The font used is difficult to read, it's color doesn't help either and the image limit is a joke..

IMHO this is not a forum.. ..this is a recipe webpage..

I appreciate your honesty but it's a forum and a website though. 😉 Although I know vB has the option of users selecting full width, so I'll see if I can enable it for you to try (vB CMS is a nightmare though).

FYI the two most popular resolutions used are 13x7 and 19x10. The font is off-white because if it's pure white it's too difficult to read as the contrast with black is too sharp so it creates a halo effect on many monitors. Which font exactly is difficult to read and what font would you prefer?

I'm gonna change the image limit in a minute, once I can find the option (gonna kill who designed vB CMS...)

DaemonCantor
Level 13
I like this format but the font color is still a little bright with the black background, maybe go to a light gray...but then again that might not be too good when I try to look at it on one of my darker monitors. as to the font I think it's very readable as versus a Serif font I do prefer the San-Serif....vB has always been a pain to work with so I feel for you all I personally like Simple Machines Forum Software it's a lot easier to configure and maintain.

DaemonCantor wrote:
I like this format but the font color is still a little bright with the black background, maybe go to a light gray...but then again that might not be too good when I try to look at it on one of my darker monitors. as to the font I think it's very readable as versus a Serif font I do prefer the San-Serif....vB has always been a pain to work with so I feel for you all I personally like Simple Machines Forum Software it's a lot easier to configure and maintain.

I think we're gonna have to work on themes of varying font color to suit everyone's monitors. That'll take considerably longer though.

When starting the site development we didn't really want to use vB if I'm honest, but because two other ROG forums already use vB we kinda went with the flow so not to lose the communities. ROG France will join us eventually, it's just working out how cause they have lots of vB mods.

DaemonCantor wrote:

I can tell you have young eyes, my tired old bad eyes think the brightness is just right I can actually read it without straining. :cool:
Grandpa

Folding Rigs
SuperMicro 4 - H8QGi-F 4P - Opteron 6190 @ 3Ghz
ASUS 2 - P6X58D-E, i7-980X @ 4.5Ghz
ASUS P6P6X58D-E, i7-970 @ 4.375Ghz
ASUS Rampage III Gene , i7-970 @ 4.4Ghz
ASUS Rampage II Gene , i7-970 @ 4.4Ghz
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z , i7-2700K @ 4.8Ghz, ASUS Matrix GTX 580
ASUS G73JH Laptop i7-740QM

chrsplmr
Level 18
the site is in 16:9 ... i think most monitors are 4:3... am i wrong?
sites are longer than wide..... just a few bugs...

i like where this is going though....tweak away good man.....c.

chrsplmr wrote:
the site is in 16:9 ... i think most monitors are 4:3... am i wrong?
sites are longer than wide..... just a few bugs...

i like where this is going though....tweak away good man.....c.

Depends as it is now this site is 4:3 and most of the monitors created over the last 3 years are 16:9 or 16:7 the only monitors that are 4:3 are the old CRT's I've still got about 10 of those left that still work....1080I/P are both 16:9 and three of my 24" LCD's are 1080p(I just replaced all of them last month with a Deal I got from Geeks all 3 are ViewSonic's)

xeromist
I don't see why people are saying that there is any aspect ratio at all. The pages all extend to a length well beyond the height of any monitor. So how is anyone calculating the aspect ratio when the length is variable?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…